Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[TTP Bookie] Euro 2008 QF#3: Holland vs Russia

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have just gotten out of the bath tub, drinking scotch and listening to Dark Side Of The Moon for the last 20 hours. Captain, you were right. GH put together a game plan that completely stifled the Dutch attack, and Russia owned the middle of the park. And finally, the Dutch ran out of gas in extra time, unfortunately MVB felt he had to use all of his subs early. I agreed with bringing Van Persie on, but I think they sure could have used Robben, just to try something different, but I do see that it would have been difficult to take Schneider or Vander Vaart off, as the latter was they only one who was providing offence with his crosses. Full marks to the Russians though. And good shout on Russia CS. A certain little cute guy is pretty pissed at me for not making the trek to The Venetian to put $$ down on Russia at 60-1.

Prada.

Sir M.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought those missed opportunities in the first half were the difference in the game. If any Dutchman would have gotten to the end of one of them (How RVN missed that one, I'll never understand) we would have seen a similar result as the Holland/Italy match.

Full marks to the Russians though, they took what Holland gave and in the end, Holland was lucky the final wasn't 5 or 6-1.

I am not a Van Persie fan and I think Holland REALLY missed Kuyt as the second half wore on - he is the type of player that they needed towards the end with his tireless workrate. Also agreed that Robben would have had an impact - was he carrying a knock or something?

Russia are now on a roll and their confidence must be sky-high. A re-match with Spain would be extremely interesting (but I don't think it will happen).

For the Dutch, another letdown - who's their manager going forward?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed Kuyt was taken off way to early. He is a work hoarse, and the kind of guy that does it all but doesn't get a tonne of credit because he isn't spectacular at any one thing. I like van persie but he was useless in that game and isn't the same type of one on one game breaker that Robben can be. The dutch are always quality but just can never seem to adapt and get over that hump.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow Captain, You were right, I too will eat a humble pie.

Go away to Barriere Lake with 15 Dutchmen on a stag for the weekend, and found a little shithole pub to watch the game in :wa: ...No satellite at the Cabin :(

MVB was tactically outclassed by Hiddink.
Van Der Vaart, save his set piece deliveries that De Jong couldn't get on the end of to save his life, was gash, could have easily been subbed off sooner.

I thought taking Englaar off was a mistake as well...

VanDer Sar was good when he needed to be.

Not sour grapes or anything, Can one of you officials please explain to me why the Referee (who was dodgy at best the entire game) Feel chalking off the second yellow to the Russian Thunderfoot was the right decision!?

Sneijder chases the ball down to the byline, and keeps it in, then get whalloped, the referee gives the second yellow for the late/poor tackle, then marches over to his linesman to ask if the ball was in or out, after he made the decision to allow it as in. He changes his mind all up, rescinds the yellow&red and gives a goal kick!?!?!

If that decision had stayed I feel Holland would have pulled out an undeserved victory, that was their break, and it ended up being taken away after all the saves Van Der Sar made to keep them in it.

Well done to the Russians and Arshavin, who is likely to win player of the tourney if they beat Spain and get to the final IMHO.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No way was that a foul in the first place, nevermind a bookable one. I agree the ball wasn't out, but in the end, the outcome was justified.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If it was or wasn't how can he take the card back if it is given!? regardless of whether it was right or not!? Was it just a case of the official forgetting he booked him once already and then looked for a quick "out" to get out of a poor decision?

And you are right, the outcome was justified...I feel bad for Van Der Sar who played very well to have his team level at that point of the game, if that player is sent off the game changes and Holland may have nicked the result

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure there is a rule that basically states the play never happened (it would be different if he punched or kicked him). Probably similar to the NHL where a team could score but it isn't known until a review and time is put back on the clock (and a goal at the other end could be nullified).

I could explain better but, well, fcuk off, I'm busy.

:D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts