Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TSS commencing an action against the BCSA

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where does the highschool level sit in all of this? Is it divided up in 4a,3a,2a etc?

Do the seasons overlap?

Rosie11

Sep 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I completely agree that all players should be notified about these opportunities for all local college and university teams. Let the players decide if the fee is worth it or not and give them the opportunity to create their own destiny.

To reset: UBC was used as an example because they’re holding an evaluation camp (open and not invite-only), they’re a big university, my son plays in the league who’s directive is to feed college and university soccer programs, and neither the league nor the club notified the players/parents of the camp. That’s all. Seems bush league to me and is a real eye opener now that my son is in grade 11 and this is the year the schools look at these kids...it’s kind of a big year don’t you think? More so than ANY other year of youth soccer they play.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't you say your kid wasn't interested in varsity footy and just plays BCSPL for "the competition?"

but yes, the point still stands all players should have been notified.
I definitely said that but they are separate. He plays BCSPL because he was selected to the team many years ago and enjoys the challenge. He’s going to university for the academics first and soccer has zero to do with where he goes...although wherever he goes he may look at playing. School first; maybe soccer.

And yes the league and club should have notified ALL stakeholders, especially 2003 born boys from ALL BCSPL teams. It’s a joke that it was missed.

Rosie11

Sep 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
High school is now just for fun. 3a, 2a and 1a. Although it is getting less strict, more often than not we are fighting against the BCSPL clubs to let the players play. This is especially true with the girl in the spring. Recently the clubs seemed to have changed their policies, but I am starting to see individual teams organize 'mandatory' practices on the game days, especially with national age divisions and ultimately the players are too worried about the fall out if they play.

Where does the highschool level sit in all of this? Is it divided up in 4a,3a,2a etc?

Do the seasons overlap?

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And being realistic about UBC specifically, they may bring 1-3 HPL players into their larger roster from this 2003 group. They’re a top program. Is my kid a top five HPL player? No. UBC is the toughest school of them all to crack.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
High school is now just for fun. 3a, 2a and 1a. Although it is getting less strict, more often than not we are fighting against the BCSPL clubs to let the players play. This is especially true with the girl in the spring. Recently the clubs seemed to have changed their policies, but I am starting to see individual teams organize 'mandatory' practices on the game days, especially with national age divisions and ultimately the players are too worried about the fall out if they play.

So soccer is the only highschool sport that is not taken seriously with the rest of the province?

There's some strange disconnect here.

So kids are paying thousands to play in these super leagues for the chance of university ball because the old system of highschool and local leagues couldn't do the same?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So soccer is the only highschool sport that is not taken seriously with the rest of the province?

There's some strange disconnect here.

So kids are paying thousands to play in these super leagues for the chance of university ball because the old system of highschool and local leagues couldn't do the same?
Don't bring High School soccer into this, it will just muddy the waters.

God forbid an HPL team let their players play MORE football and work on their skills in a competitive environment with their friends...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, high school soccer back in the day was a joke. Some will disagree but it meant fcuk all when it comes to scholarships and whatnot.

I mean, we had Reedy between the pipes and Giuliano's SISTER play and score a hat trick on our high school team.

Good/Great times, yes, but it was a joke.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All I'm saying is there are kids playing basketball and volleyball etc going to colleges and universities through the highschool system. Play with friends, actually play with fans watching and not just parents.

@Regs , you and others think highschool ball was a joke but maybe that's where the disconnect is from other communities. My friends and I will try to watch any Rupert team that makes the provincials to this day. The soccer team hasn't been good enough but we watched our basketball team win the 2a championship last year and star forward move on to the university of Utah for this season in Liam McChesney. I think kids need support in other ways besides the kind you pay for through super leagues or whatever they are called. Anyways I'm going off topic.

For me, it all comes down to how hungry the player is to make it to post secondary or pro soccer. No amount of money will replace self confidence, desire and will.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The point was, high school was/is a joke in the context of getting a scholarship.

And that was 30+ years ago. I would imagine even more so today.

High schools sports were awesome. Vball, BBall, whatever, awesome memories. And glad I didn't grow up in today's environment where you are forced to make a decision.

Someone should do a survey on ALL the "successful" players from the past and see how many played a variety of sports and were not given any fcuking bullshite ultimatums on choices between soccer or high school sports.

I swear if I were one of these kids today I would ask how many fcuking players can you say you got a scholarship or turned pro.

Accountability and backing up your demands is not something any of these "decision makers" have.

Last week I was 3 sheets to the wind, today I'm six.

It's a great time to be alive :)

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
HPL U18 "graduated" means they play until U18 not play until U16 then go to whitecaps or mens division.

When player were recruited in their first year their last club is listed. Over 5 years these players play for different teams during off season like Whitecaps U23, TSS or some premier team. In some cases that off season team becomes their last team they played for.

You didn't say "HPL u18 Graduated" you just said "graduated" - symantics, but nonetheless your grammar left something to be desired ;)

It says something that on the registration sheet these kids put an "off season" team instead of the BCSPL team they presumably played with for multiple years, no?

Last edited:

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I may have missed something as I read through the thread, but why is the focus of this conversation looking solely at UBC(and some SFU)? Although I don't agree with the BCSPL for a multitude of reasons, many already listed, one of the leagues focuses is to get scholarships and/or get players playing in post secondary. It is not to play on the best team in the country or to win National Championships. This is no different than the the BCJHL on the radio talking about how many of their players have gone on to universities. If players are getting on UFV, TWU or even colleges, it is still providing players (who almost definitely are not going pro) to get an education by using sport.
***I'll admit I did not go through each team to find out how many BCSPL players are on those teams, but I assume more than UBC.***

Secondly, in my opinion UBC is a bit of an anomoly. They are the biggest university in Western Canada and in a city which has an MLS franchise. On top of that, the CIS has significantly less restrictions than the NCAA. A connection between the two systems seems logical, just like the Canucks using UBC for unofficial practices and get goalies in emergency situations.

The point is kids were going to these same university teams in the days before BCSPL existed, and paid much less. We were also getting more kids on the national teams from BC back then.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You didn't say "HPL u18 Graduated" - type a little slower in the future.

It says something that on the registration sheet these kids put an "off season" team instead of the BCSPL team they presumably played with for multiple years, no?

I think you're reading too much into that. It probably says something like "last team played for"

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

God forbid an HPL team let their players play MORE football and work on their skills in a competitive environment with their friends...

Too much organized football in a day-week-weekend is bad. BCSPL and Metro should pause for high school soccer. Kids should get to play with their schools.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too much organized football in a day-week-weekend is bad. BCSPL and Metro should pause for high school soccer. Kids should get to play with their schools.
It’s not really about high school soccer. It‘s about high school sports. Hard to stop a season for the whole school year :) From what I’m seeing, these HPL players are playing all sorts of high school sports. My son plays soccer and rugby at school.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

actually, it's more like the varsity coaches bring up grade 8 BCSPL players to get hacked and whacked by grade 12 kids who play in the metallic divisions if they play community soccer at all. don't get me started about the injuries my players picked up because someone wanted to take a run at "the HPL kid"... besides, at three training sessions and a game, it's a comprehensive program - even if high school soccer weren't crap it would be, and still is, overtraining...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
to get hacked and whacked by grade 12 kids who play in the metallic divisions if they play community soccer at all. don't get me started about the injuries my players picked up because someone wanted to take a run at "the HPL kid"

That would have been me if I played that level of soccer. haha
Play extra hard to win and get stuck in against the "better" system/opposition.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts