Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TSS commencing an action against the BCSA

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude - the old man does double duty as the current president of Baseball BC... most of what you posted sounds about right to me, though I'll have to ask about someone on the Blaze being on the Brewers payroll... that's interesting... Brett Lawrie did get drafted out of the Blaze by the Brewers... Morneau was the North Delta Blue Jays and Loewen was Whalley Chiefs... that league certainly produces talent, and they play a LOT of baseball...

anyway, the BCSPL clubs do have robust hardship programs, but this misses the point. people vote with their feet and we've no chance of 100% retention or attraction rates for low income families.

when I was chair of the Burnaby Selects, back in the maximum 3 OOD rule days, we had the smallest catchment of players (Guidford alone was bigger), were geographically vulnerable to Burnaby kids bailing (hello CMF), had no paid coaches, no academy, and our kids paid like $600 a year - all in.

our teams were routinely at or near the top of the tables. why? because our attraction and retention rates were relatively high. there are certain pockets of Burnaby with a ton of low income immigrants. Hockey? Not so much. Baseball? Pass. But soccer? That they know AND.. as it happens... are pretty damn good at.

I lost the fight over fees at the inception of the BCSPL. Sometimes you have to realize you're severely outnumbered both internally and externally and live to fight another day.

Yes Burnaby was very impressive from the mid-90's until, what, the early teen years when BCSPL began, and still produced some very strong metro teams after that? Like you said, when I played too, the coaches weren't paid and yet teams played superb football, all the top coaches were in the league as were all the top players. Cost was a fraction of today. Teams utilized the 3 OOD rule, by providing good coaching which attracted players. Todays insistence we need "a license pro coaches" is nice in theory, but folly in practice. TD's should be supervising training, demanding certain standards, and if coaches don't satisfy that be moved on regardless of license.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well they had no way to earn promotion to bcspl as a team, so what option did they have? The local bcspl team (CMF) was actually top in their age group so they couldn't go there on mass and would have had to disperse among other bcspl teams with potentially long commutes and lower quality coaching. Not sure that's great for individual development either.

Their solution actually ended up being playing summer men's soccer where more often than not they got the shite kicked out of them. In the end maybe it balanced out? I know the ones I've seen play in vmsl for Croatia this year are a step ahead of the average bcspl graduate coming the first year out of youth.

It's quite well known as well that BCSPL players are totally fried by the end of u18 and many quit, or aren't good enough for even VMSL. Certainly I've heard this on the girls side (MWSL not VMSL of course). It's no surprise to me whatsoever a collection of friends playing metro come out the other fresher, and by the way, also playing at a high standard.

Staying at Port Moody made a heckuva a lot of sense, particularly as the CMF team was excellent and battered that PM team in the cup.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't get into details but got the distinct impression the costs were far less in the younger ages. At some point next week I'll ask. I think my guy is president of Langley Baseball (or, was...he's balls deep though), so he knows his stuff. Also want to ask the scholarship question for families that have a hard time coming up w/ the money.

It's all good no need to check and report back. I assume it's cheaper (but still expensive at younger ages). I just appreciate that the cost goes up at 16+ when the players are truly serious about the game, and likely the definitely most talented players.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My son plays BCSPL. He plays for the competition and it’s not really on his radar to leverage soccer into a university scholarship. I see a ton of chatter here that indicates that a scholarship is the focus of playing BCSPL. Is it? Is my son an anomaly? I don’t know...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My son plays BCSPL. He plays for the competition and it’s not really on his radar to leverage soccer into a university scholarship. I see a ton of chatter here that indicates that a scholarship is the focus of playing BCSPL. Is it? Is my son an anomaly? I don’t know...
When I was coaching BCSPL the priority was 100% scholarship placement for every graduating team. There would always be one or two kids who didn't want to go to school, but for anyone who was the club was vehement in their efforts to get them placed on a soccer team with scholarship at post secondary.

Bearing in mind this fully included "scholarships" to Langara/Douglas/Cap etc.

Also to a point raised earlier I definitely saw plenty of burnout and would be very interested in see the numbers on how many HPL kids were one and done with playing at post secondary.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

The post-secondary focus is literally one of the pillars of the league.

Taken from the Coastal BCSPL page for example...

GOALS/OBJECTIVES: The objective of the program is to create and provide an excellent experience by ensuring that safety, organization, structure and enjoyment exists for both players and coaches. The environment created by the club will provide an opportunity for players to develop technical ability, comprehension of team play and formations, and individual Speed, Agility and Quickness (SAQ). The end goal will be the identification, advancement and continued development of future High Performance coaches and players, for Whitecaps FC, CSA , College/University/CFC Adult League players.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The post-secondary focus is literally one of the pillars of the league.

Taken from the Coastal BCSPL page for example...

GOALS/OBJECTIVES: The objective of the program is to create and provide an excellent experience by ensuring that safety, organization, structure and enjoyment exists for both players and coaches. The environment created by the club will provide an opportunity for players to develop technical ability, comprehension of team play and formations, and individual Speed, Agility and Quickness (SAQ). The end goal will be the identification, advancement and continued development of future High Performance coaches and players, for Whitecaps FC, CSA , College/University/CFC Adult League players.
Yes that’s my point. They get selected at 12 years old into BCSPL. I’m wondering how many on each roster are laser focussed on university soccer and how many just happen to be strong players and that’s where their abilities landed them when they tried out 6 years ago. It’s possible my son is an outlier but I wonder. Of the 5-6 players on his team that can likely play university soccer, how many of those are really wanting that.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes that’s my point. They get selected at 12 years old into BCSPL. I’m wondering how many on each roster are laser focussed on university soccer and how many just happen to be strong players and that’s where their abilities landed them when they tried out 6 years ago. It’s possible my son is an outlier but I wonder. Of the 5-6 players on his team that can likely play university soccer, how many of those are really wanting that.

As @ThiKu suggested, BCSPL probably shouldn't start until U15 or U16. That would help get the right players in for what is supposed to be a "high performance" league.

Out of curiosity does your son play soccer on his own outside of his BCSPL team? Pick up games at a local park, ball against a wall to work on his touch, dribbling drills in the backyard, etc? Do any of his teammates?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is so much I have wanted to add to this excellent discussion but I'm 3 sheets to the wind as of now and there are 62 posts to "read" when "no one is around"

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What the league wants, what the parents want, and what the player wants can be three very different things.

I can be a little more cynical now that I'm no longer involved in the league:

"Yes, I know you've paid all this money and your kid didn't make it into the Whitecaps residency program... but hey, he did get a scholarship to Quest! Still #winning!"

I can only speak for my old club. We had, and continue to have, good people involved who genuinely want the players develop and move on to bigger and better things. There's nothing wrong with being focussed on making the Caps, or getting a full-ride stateside, or just wanting to play at a high level for the competition and then age out into other activities while maybe playing in the VMSL or a lesser league as an adult.

There is, however, a convenient cover for everyone - Whitecaps included - in the amateur benefits. It distracts from the fact that, no matter how you slice it, BC kids aren't making even the remotest of impacts in MLS.

By now, they should be.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

That's fantastic for you and your family. (no sarcasm).

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
How much are fees for BCSPL compared to regular soccer. Sorry for not having a clue but I grew up outside the lower mainland so I have no idea what the structure and fees are. Did someone say thousands? lol...what a joke. haha

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
How much are fees for BCSPL compared to regular soccer. Sorry for not having a clue but I grew up outside the lower mainland so I have no idea what the structure and fees are. Did someone say thousands? lol...what a joke. haha

it's more on the a couple thousand versus a few thousand... I think MUFC was at $2400 a season, paid in three instalments, while I was there... that's mostly all-in, although travel tournaments like college showcases stateside (Vegas, Phoenix, Florida) would be extra...

That's basically $300 a month for the season, although I think we may have been on the lower rather than higher end of things league-wide...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe CMF have the lowest fees coming in around ~$2k (they actually post a transparent breakdown of different fees for different age groups depending on what's included)

But some of the other franchises charge over $3k. I know for a fact Fusion and TOFC are both that high.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And back to that league pillar thing: UBC is hosting an ID camp for 2003 boys this weekend. You’d think that every single player in BCSPL would be notified. Nope. You’d think my son’s club (Fusion) would notify their 2003 boys team. Nope. I mean what the actual f*ck?

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When I was coaching BCSPL the priority was 100% scholarship placement for every graduating team. There would always be one or two kids who didn't want to go to school, but for anyone who was the club was vehement in their efforts to get them placed on a soccer team with scholarship at post secondary

So if this is the directive at club and league level, how the hell can UBC (Canada’s top soccer program) run an ID camp and we get crickets from league and club? And Fusion is in the back yard of said university. It’s truly mind boggling.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So if this is the directive at club and league level, how the hell can UBC (Canada’s top soccer program) run an ID camp and we get crickets from league and club? And Fusion is in the back yard of said university. It’s truly mind boggling.

Seems like an issue you should take up with the powers that be at your son's club. Maybe the board needs to hold the employees to a higher standard...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0