Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Travelling Abroad

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey,

My son is fortunate enough to get the chance to go to Europe with his Roman Tulis academy team and play in the Gothia Cup in Sweden (I am fortunate enough to be able to go with him thanks to winning the rock/paper/scissor best of three between my wife and I). We are hitting a few places on the way there/on the way back and wanted some info before we talk to the travel agent and write our travel plans into stone.

Has anyone been to or played in the Gothia Cup? Apparently, it's one of the biggest youth tournaments in the world. Anyone been to Gothenburg, Sweden? What's there to do besides look for the Swedish Bikini Team?

Before the Gothia Cup, we are also playing in the Dana Cup in Hjorring, Denmark. Anyone been/played? Anyone been to Denmark? What to do?

On the way back we have a stop in Frankfurt. We are thinking of spending a day or so in Frankfurt before heading for 4 days in England. Anyone been to Frankfurt? What to do? Is it worth spending a day? Keeper? theRob?

In England, we plan on seeing the usual (London - Westminster Abby, Buckingham Palace, Madame Trussard, stadium tours etc... Manchester - Old Trafford and everything RED!). I haven't been to London since 1994. Anyhting to avoid in London that was a huge waste of money? Anything we HAVE TO do?

Any help would be swell!

Cheers

DJ

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Dan,
I played in the Gothia Cup, but that was way back in 1985. It was a huge tournament back then as well. Can't really comment on where to go, I don't remember much about the city. I do remember that the girls were gorgeous looking and the discos were a blast as well (we were 17, 18 years old back then).

They had a big opening ceremony parade with all the teams from all over the world which was a lot of fun to be in.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry everyone - I have to boost!

My son and his teammates just got back from a European Tour (as stated above) to Sweden and Denmark where the Roman Tulis Academy team took on some of the best youth teams in the world in the Dana Cup (Denmark) and the Gothia Cup (Sweden).

We had hoped that we would finish high in the Dana Cup (28 teams in our age group from Sweden, Norway, Germany, Colombia etc...) and at least make the final 64 in the Gothia Cup (121 teams from all over the world including Sao Paulo FC, defending Gothia Cup champs Tecumun from Argentina, Brescia's youth team from Italy and an American ODP team that had the top players from 4 states, just to name a few).

Our '94 Tulis team is quite good and we felt confident that they would sort things out and at least achieve a credible result. The boys train together but never play full sided games. The first game in Denmark would be the first game together. Luckily, 7 of the 14 boys play together for my Coquitlam Metro-Ford Ajax team so they shouldn't struggle to much in getting their rhythme (besides the jetlag).

Well...

We became the first Canadian boys team to ever win the Dana Cup where we knocked off the top teams from Norway, Colombia and Germany before beating the 4th best team in Sweden in the finals and finished 3rd in the Gothia Cup were we knocked off the top teams from Mexico, Sweden and the defending champs from Argentina before losing to a the second best team in Sweden 1-0 infront of about 1000 people. It was the highest place of any Canadian boys team ever in the tourney! We got there on talent and IF we would have had some luck, we would have put those four glorious chances away in the semi finals to set up the opportunity to play the final in the Ullevi Stadium!

The youth team from Brecia, a academy team who takes some of the best players from around Italy where they house and school them (including three studs from Africa) won the tourney in style. Apparently, Andrea Pirlo is a guest coach and major sponsor of the school. They were unbelievable!

The tourneys, like Sliver said earlier, are massive and an absolute blast! The opening ceremony at the Gothia Cup was undescribable with 60 000 people jammed into the Ullevi Stadium (Pele won the '58 World Cup in that stadium).

And to say that Danish/Norwegian/Swedish young women are beautiful is an understatement! They were everywhere. It was silly! The boys already want to go back (so do the dad's!).

They boys proved that we are producing talented players who can play and compete against the best at this age. The question is, how do we continue this developement so that we can go to World Youth Cups and score at least a goal, let alone finish first or third?

Here's a youtube video of the opening ceremony.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgngFSL_fk"]opening ceremony[/ame]:

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Djones, congrats!

That is absolutely unreal.

I cant believe that opening ceremony. Top Knotch!

Way to represent Canada!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy, WOW!

Congrats to you and your boys, that is quite the achievement! Has anybody in the BCSA or CSA made some sort of acknowledgement to you or the boys?

Can you tell us a little more about the chicks? :D

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
kjohnsob,

Cheers!

It was a truly amazing experience. It is done on such a level that the whole city shuts down for this tournament. Everywhere you look you can see and hear teams walking around singing and chanting their team and country songs spontaniously to the rhythme of Brazilian drums from the Brazilian contingent two or three blocks away.

A bunch of us ran into some players from Jordan at 7/11 and mentioned that we had watched their under 20 team at Swanguard the week before. Their was 15 of them trying to speak broken English to us when two beautiful Swedish girls happened to walk by and all 15 of them dropped our conversation and tried their best to impress these two hotties before coming back to our conversation after making no progress and the girls walking off down the street. It just really put things into perspective. Boys will be boys no matter where they come from!

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs,

Thanks!

Nothing has been done and I wouldn't hold out any hope. The boys snubbed the Provincial program for this trip and it didn't please the powers that be. Some were told that they hurt their chances of ever playing for not only future provincial teams but also ever entering the national program. Pretty petty, to say the least but not really surprising. Canada has a habit of making these types of threats to young players.

As far as the chicks go, I swear, you would claim that you just saw the most beautiful girl ever and then correct yourself 5 minutes later because you saw another one that was even better. After a while, you stopped making that claim because you're proven wrong!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada has a habit of making these types of threats to young players.

Lets hope none of the kids leave the system and go and play for the National teams of Portugal or gasp England.
Sounds like a great group you have there jonsey, good luck in the up coming season.

hos

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy,

Any European clubs show any interest in any of the kids?

Nice show...yet another case of a private academy showing CSA the way.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow - That is magic.

Well done to you and your crew Danny.

Too bad about the BC program being chocked but you can't deny a chance like this to kids when you get it.
Especially when they grab it by both hands and make the most of it!

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangerforever,

Thanks!

Although I would love to take the applause, this was Roman's gig and deserves the credit for it all. He's been very gracious with giving me credit (providing me with a medal and passing off some of the applause by other coaches at the tourney onto myself and the club) but his experience, dedication and vision was something that I could only dream of providing. It re-emphasized the level of experience and success he has achieved. It really isn't a fluke! He does an outstanding job!

Dude,

I'm assuming that the older teams had scouts looking at them but at the younger age groups, it didn't really happen. There were coaches commenting on players and asking about nationalities but the tournament was so huge with so many games that it would be really hard. Besides, the U20's were on at the same time and many of the top teams with reputable academies had scouts here in Canada.

Most of the coaches we played were too busy thinking of excuses to tell their bosses as to why a Canadian 'soccer' team knocked their future superstars out of the tournament! :)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is awesome.

You'd think, following the disaster that was Canada's showing at OUR Fifa U-20 that the CBC radio documentary when Jonathan DeGuzman's dad told of the tale when Feyenoord signed him and the Ontario Provincial program called them telling Feyenoord Officials that he belonged to them. Unbelievable how the "authorities" "governing bodies" and beurocracy's are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

The Province, Sportsnet, and every other media outlet should be shouting from the roof tops this success of your boys and Roman.

Awesome, we're proud of you.!

And I'm glad you got to appreciate the off field talent to ;)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy,

Brilliant stuff mate ....... congratulations to you and the team on an unbelievable result. By the sounds of it, it'll be an experience you and the lads will never forget.

More importantly ;) , did you make it to Wembley or Old Trafford ??

Cheers, Walks

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great stuff, Jonesy. :thumbup: It probably would have been better to take your son to Celtic Park though rather than Old Trafford. :D ;)

Well done to your youngin and his m8s. :)

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DJ,
Well done on your trip. Too bad about the BC Soccer situation but would you expect anything different from that group of self serving individuals.

Now, if you are finished pounding your chest and rubbing Roman's feet, could you please email me back.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
johnnybluenose, alikira

Thanks for the support. It was a lot of fun!

Francis,

Email is on the way!

Walks,

We did get to Old Trafford but ran out of time to do Wembley. London is just too big to do in such a short amount of time. Touring the stadium is just amazing. Thanks!

To calm a potential firestorm that seems to be brewing, the reason I mentioned this trip was just to let people know about the accomplishments of 14 young boys who defied the odds and not a real gripe with BC Soccer and their stance. It was only mentioned to illustrate the sacrifice that these boys were willing to make to represent their country, province, clubs, teams, academy and teammates overseas. Also, I'm pretty pround of not only my boy and his club teammates, but the whole crew!

As far as the "snubbing" goes (maybe I should have used a more politically correct word like chosen), the boys have been working towards this goal of making this travelling team for at least two years and there were many very talented RT players that were left home, as this age groups is one of the most talented age groups in a long, long time for every club, let alone academies and schools. Not since the days of Smallsy and the '70 born players have there been this much talent! ;)

Taking the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure that the stance that BC Soccer took was more of defending the valitity of the program and the difficulty players will have entering the program raw later on when established players are recognized. Being that we pay these coaches a lot of money, I'm sure that they know who the most talented players are as a result of scouting teams and players during the season, they will look at this accomplishment the way they should - 14 boys developed with RT in international competition and they had 16 or so boys developing inside their program that will make this pool much stronger for years to come when choosing Provincial teams in the future. I'm sure that's how they will look at it - I would certainly hope so! They have to be smarter than that to not make that mistake!

If the boys were chosen for the BC team and pulled out of the program after the final selection and the team is already announced, then I can see this being a potential problem and action would have to be taken. That wasn't the case with these boys.

Cheers

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh Danny, I've been going through this type of scenario for quite sometime. At the end of it all, you have to make a decision based solely on what will enhance your player's development...which you have. The situtaion is quite complex but at the end of the day, the decision to play on a provincial team or national team over any other initiative should be automatic................but is not! That should raise some pretty major red flags.

I will say this again; until we subsidize our elite players when representing our province, we should not expect anyone to make any kind of demands. Why? Because we are now a PAYING CUSTOMER and we will go where we deem it best value for our dollar. End of story.

Congratulations. Once again, this proves our youth can compete very well on the world stage. At about 16 years of age is where we start to fade.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
16, hmmmmm maybe that is when Dad gives up living vicariously though son, son gets license, son figures out what fanny is...son then realizes there is a lot more to do when yu are 16 than soccer, and then regrets it 4 years later.

you are so mature at 16 aren't you? ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts