Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Touching the Void

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Starring Brendan Mackey, Joe Simpson, Simon Yates, Nicholas Aaron, Richard Hawking. Directed by Kevin MacDonald.

With the use of staged, pseudo-documentary sequences, Kevin Macdonald's British film reconstructs the disastrous 1985 attempt that Joe Simpson and Simon Yates made on the 21,000 foot Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. All went well for three days, until Mr. Simpson fell and drove his lower leg into his kneecap, leaving him crippled. Mr. Yates tried to lower Mr. Simpson down the mountainside with a climbing rope, but accidentally lowered him into a deep crevasse. Receiving no response from his partner, Mr. Yates was faced with a terrible choice: either to stay and hold on to the rope, at the risk of being eventually pulled into the ravine by Mr. Simpson's body weight, or to cut the rope and attempt to save himself...

A fricken MUST see if you're into climbing, hiking and trekking. It's a great reenactment of what took place on the mountain in Peru. The scenery proves to be some of the best in the world.

Although there were many setbacks in their expedition, I felt that the movie was very inspiring demonstrating not to 'give up' on anything (in life). At the same time it was quite devastating to feel a part of their experience. The day I saw it I happened to be planning my future trek/climbs. After this, I'm not so sure I'll be touching a void like that one. :(

Has this made it to Vancouver yet, or am I really that far out of it? :confused:

+SC

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm... new thread "touching the void" posted by Sexual Chocolate... this isn't anything near what I thought it was about.

Highly disappointing :D

~Regs.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Touching and some...

Regsi, why do you overestimate me?

Luc, if you're serious I couldn't find it in the local listings. Hold tight, it'll be here soon enough :)

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Touching and some...

[/QUOTE]Luc, if you're serious I couldn't find it in the local listings. Hold tight, it'll be here soon enough :) [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes I'm seriously interested. Where in Peru did this take place?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The guy, Joe Simpson, wrote a book on it too, apparently it's an unbelievable story. I'll be fcuked if I can remember the name of it now though.

Luc, quit pissing about here and post more songs I've already heard of. I'm old and forget you know...

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good news

The paper had an add today saying it starts Feb. 20th. I'll be there again to see it for sure. No specific theaters mentioned.

Speaking of Jon Krakauer, man, I didn't really need to read that book while I was in the Khumba valley on my way to Everest base :(

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Joe Simpson

"A truly astounding account of suffering and fortitude." ---The Times (London)​

Joe Simpson and his climbing partner, Simon Yates reached the summit of a 21,000 foot peak in the Andes. But disaster struck soon after they started their decent. Joe Simpson fell and broke one of his legs, still near the summit.
Simon Yated had to attempt to lower his partner down to safety, negotiating over 3,000 vertical feet of nearly vertical, icy cliffs covered with newly deposited snow using a 300ft rope. Simon would lower Joe 300 feet, lower himself to Joes' perch, dig a hole in the soft snow and belay his injured partner another 300 ft, repeating this maneuver over and over again, when disaster struck the team. Joe went over a cliff and was suspended in mid air, by the rope, for over 1 and a half hour (Joe/Simon's estimations). Simon started to slide off his precarious perch, being pulled over the cliff by the weight of the body of his presumed dead partner. He made the decision to cut the rope allowing body to fall.

Joe Simpson survived the fall... lived to write about it.

This is not a novel, it is real drama, it is real life. Joe Simpson wrote honestly and from memory.

This is one of the best narrative of a mountaineering accident and survival.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough already, we're boring those who don't give a damn and aren't passionate for life...

+SC

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC said:
Enough already, we're boring those who don't give a damn and aren't passionate for life...

+SC
Is there any shagging in this story and I don't mean mountain goats or manno a manno? If not, I will not waste my time with this tale. :rolleyes:

hehehehe :D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One could probably go to the threatre and get shagged. I don't think there will be enough interest for Vancouver locals (many seats may be empty) :rolleyes:

I just got an idea... :eek:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC said:
One could probably go to the threatre and get shagged. I don't think there will be enough interest for Vancouver locals (many seats may be empty) :rolleyes:

I just got an idea... :eek:
I just got an idea too...........:eek:

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sc,
I'm waiting here girl, hook a brother up. Whats the deal with showtimes and locations. You have sparked my interest. I have conquered the andes, I would enjoy going back vicariously.I guess I can watch Alive again.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For fcuk sakes Luc, back off. She's obviously busy ignoring Fastshow in the TTP closet threads. You're the master of looking up old information, find it yourself. Or does Billboard not post movie listings?

alex lloyd - chasing the sun

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not ignoring you boys, I'm sticking to what I said...
HOS, way to light it up tonight. I'm off to bed so I can impress Besty with my moves on the pitch tomorrow. I have some visualization to do for our big game tomorrow. I promise to 'score' and won't post again until I do...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does hitting the crossbar count? :confused:

friedbread

Jan 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The film is premiering at fifth ave thursday night a 7 pm. Looking foward to seeing it. great read, even for the illiterate, like myself.

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The province has a huge 1 page write up of this adventure.
Fifth ave on Burrard st seems to be the only cinema showing it, until popularity grows I guess.
Showtimes: Fri, Sat, Sun,Tues = 1:30,4:15,7:00,10:00
Mon, wed, thurs = 4;15, 7:00, 10:00

friedbread

Jan 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The book was excellent. The movie is even better. NOt only is it from Joe simpsons point of view, its also from Simons point of view.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts