Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Things that make you say WTF?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In other WTF news...

Today there's been much made of Translink's decision to award the contract to supply and deliver a new Seabus to a dutch firm over a local ship yard. Three Tenders were received by Translink, one by the local shipyard at $27M, the successful bid by the Dutch Firm at $25M and one from a yank firm disqualified for unspecified reasons (knowing TL and their tendering policies I'd assume it had to do with T's and C's differences of opinion)

Now the Union that represents the Shipyard workers is up in arms that they weren't awarded the work.

You can't have your cake and eat it to BC'ers... You cannot complain about inefficiencies and overruns at TL and then go on whinging that they awarded a bid to a low bidder... by $2M which represents a total savings of 7.5%. Now TL has $2M to fritter away somewhere else.

I wonder if the Union was willing to give up 7.5% of their compensation so their employer could make their expected margin?...

Unions...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just got back from visiting my rich Republican cousins in LA. Their mentality is crazy. One of them was adamant that Obama was born in Kenya. Seriously. Then they criticized my decision to bring my family to Cuba. They said it was irresponsible. I pointed out that at absolutely no time did i feel threatened in Havana. I explained that I could drive 6 minutes in LA and find a place that I really wouldn't want to be. They couldn't see my point of view. Then after showing me their new 3 million dollar beach house they complained that Obama was going to raise their taxes. I don't know how you fix that country. These were university graduates running successful businesses. Yet they watch fox news and think the tea party is great? They really love how I'm the Vice-President of a Union. lmfao

This is a pretty common / typical conversation you can have down there.

I hate coming across as anti-American, because I most definitely am not. My business represents several US manufacturers, run by really good folks. A lot of them are also very smart, and worldly. Yet, when it comes to the gun issue, it is overwhelming that the opinion is such that they have it right, and we have it wrong. Honestly. And their perception of safety is skewed. They feel safe BECAUSE they have their guns in their house. They all insist the guns are locked in safes- which I don’t buy. If they were, then you are preparing for Armageddon, because if your guns are truly locked in a safe, somewhere that is concealed, then they aren’t doing you any good in protecting you from that house burglar that will be packing. So, you know the guns aren’t locked, most of them. FFS, this story yesterday of the 11 year old kid at school proves this, and I’m sure that is only one of thousands that didn’t hit the news. The kid who did the killings took his moms’ guns. HIS MOM’S GUNS! Those obviously weren’t locked.

I’ve been travelling in and around the US for the better part of the last 15 years, and have seen more than most. Universally, there is a neighborhood in every city that you just can’t go to, because “the black guys” or “the Latinos” will shoot you up.

I too get the inquisitions when these guys find out I take my bike to strange places and ride. They find it completely outrageous that I will “risk my life and career acting like a kid”. Those are actual words from one of my key suppliers. San Jose, Costa Rica is supposed to be a tough city. We (myself and two travel buddies who also were there riding w/ me) spent a few nights there, and walked freely and openly everywhere. Ended up in some dodgy neighborhoods there, and on the coast. Never felt threatened. Same with some really greasy surf spots in Peru, Spain, Portugal, Mexico. All spots way off the beaten path. Lima is a pretty cool city with some seriously crazy spots. Ventured into those, and again, never felt threatened. Maybe I’ve just become a smart tourist, I don’t know. I speak broken Spanish at best, and there is no blending in when you are 6’ and pale.

That being said, the average dude down there cannot afford a gun. In Europe, where would you get one that easily? The laws are just too stringent.

But, venture into some of the wrong hoods in Chicago? No thanks, and no way. Done that, and the cop who guided me out told me I was both a stupid tourist and lucky not to have been robbed or shot. Seriously? The overriding message I get from Americans is that we are naïve, and don’t understand how dangerous their neighborhoods can be.

It is all well and truly fcuked up, and simply put, I just don’t need to spend another minute vacationing down there. Not going to support their tourism with my dollars, thanks. They get enough from me at the bars when I’m down there for business, anyhow.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To change it up a bit, just got an email from the wife...

Tell Ballbaby he looks pretty good on camera... I just saw him on the news!

WTF is that?

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
In other WTF news...

Today there's been much made of Translink's decision to award the contract to supply and deliver a new Seabus to a dutch firm over a local ship yard. Three Tenders were received by Translink, one by the local shipyard at $27M, the successful bid by the Dutch Firm at $25M and one from a yank firm disqualified for unspecified reasons (knowing TL and their tendering policies I'd assume it had to do with T's and C's differences of opinion)

Now the Union that represents the Shipyard workers is up in arms that they weren't awarded the work.

You can't have your cake and eat it to BC'ers... You cannot complain about inefficiencies and overruns at TL and then go on whinging that they awarded a bid to a low bidder... by $2M which represents a total savings of 7.5%. Now TL has $2M to fritter away somewhere else.

I wonder if the Union was willing to give up 7.5% of their compensation so their employer could make their expected margin?...

Unions...

Lol Actually the Dutch firm is Unionized as well. But the firm is heavily subsidized by the Dutch government and therefore able to bid more aggressively. But please don't let the facts get in the way of a good piss take. :)

Just found out the ship will be built in the company's Singapore shipyard, not in Holland. So yes our labour cost would be far larger. But I'm sure the 35 % tax on all the wages for the project would surely be more than 2 million. Government should get together on these ones. I don't blame the guy at translink for the decision because he is charged will finding the best possible price. Poor translink can't win.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Government should get together on these ones and what? Take part in collusion?!

Many projects will have "local labour" requirements, or "Aboriginal Participation" points if it's a scoring matrix to award...

Regardless of where the ship is being built, the Union, not the Employer is calling foul. Whose ox is being gored canuckboy?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bingo.

The unions have contributed hugely in making BCs manufacturing sector uncompetitive. We have tried to subcontract orders out here for equipment staying here. BC fabricators can't touch the prices we get from the States, sorry to say.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just heard that the US government wants the principals to carry hand guns to protect the kids

WTF..........
Mixed emotions on this one .is it a good one or?

Wtf

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just heard that the US government wants the principals to carry hand guns to protect the kids

WTF..........
Mixed emotions on this one .is it a good one or?

Wtf

Close, but not quite. The NRA has suggested the solution to end mass shootings in schools is to have an armed guard present at every school in 'Merica. Why not just arm the students and cut out the middle man??? :rolleyes:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Close, but not quite. The NRA has suggested the solution to end mass shootings in schools is to have an armed guard present at every school in 'Merica. Why not just arm the students and cut out the middle man??? :rolleyes:

Why even send them to school in the USA? Start conscription at age 5.

Sparta lives again.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0