Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Things that make you say WTF?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Merica" and most of the Western Liberal world has gotten entirely too cynical and too liberal imho, within a few clicks on internets I saw the following:
1. High School Football players raping a passed out drunk girl and their football coach is defending them and their teammates that abided the attacks.
2. A Texas GunStore Owner giving special discounts on firearms to Teachers applying for conceal/carry permits
3. Muslims, Jews and Athiests freaking out about people calling Christmas "Christmas" and that they're offended.

All sense of reasonable morals, decency, and ethics are sliding by in society entirely.

This Sandy Hook shooting is appalling stuff, I was literally rocked to the core when I was driving in my truck the day it happened listening to the radio. I have a 5 year old in School now. I couldn't focus on a thing all day.

I cannot believe my kids have to grow up and live in this world.

When will the media stop the sensationalism of news? Why do the Media have to cover the funerals of these kids!?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have come to the point where I am dead set about vacationing in the States anymore. I've been to enough oddball spots now- where people will ask me, "Is that safe?"- that I can say with a lot of conviction that it is more dangerous to vacation in the US than it is in most places on the planet. Give me anywhere in South America, most places in Central America, and all of Europe over the US. I do not fee comfortable with my wife and kids in a place where average joes can walk around w/ a concealed weapon.

I was riding in Tuscon earlier this year, and we rode past sever impromptu firing ranges, all these dudes in full military gear, practicing their shooting w/ handguns, assault riffles, machine gunes. It was disturbing. Glad we had locals w/ us, telling us where it was safe to go, and not. Keep in mind, this was way off in the mountains, not anywhere near civilization...and we saw a bunch.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN:

Pull your tongue back in through your cheek. That's offensive.

In all seriousness, there are so many things wrong with the USians that you barely know where to start:
1. Let's talk about Gun Control. Who needs an assault rifle outside of the armed forces? Nobody. Ever. You don't hunt? Then you don't need a firearm of any kind. There is going to be a huge argument over the future wording of the 2nd Amendment.
2. This individual who apparently helped himself to Mom's gun collection sounds more and more like a textbook case of severe mental illness. No way in anywhere (hell or North Dakota) that he should be allowed anywhere near firearms of any kind. Psychiatric check on anyone who tries to buy firearms. Training programs for proper handling, care, and storage as well.
3. The Entitled racist scum of the earth who tweeted their whines about their elected leader interrupting a fcukball game to broadcast a statement about a tragedy? Get the fcuk off my planet, or better yet, go live in the Sudan or Somalia, where you'll really understand how the world doesn't work.

Back to JBN:

1. All need to spend at least a month working with rape victims to understand what it really means. Fcukwit of a coach should not be allowed anywhere near kids again. Ever.
2. Pinhead of a gunstore owner needs to have his rear introduced to the thick end of a baseball bat, preferably one with a lot of splinters. Smacking him in the head with it obviously won't help...
3. Odd, most of the uproar about this that I have seen has been from righteously indignant Christians posting messages about "it's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays." I've already had two of my Muslim teammates wish me Merry Christmas, as well. Ironic, because I'm not a Christian either, and they both know that. Doesn't bother me in the least. You could ask my very Jewish sister-in-law the same question, and she will shrug and say the same thing. It doesn't bother us. We're not Christian, but we still have morals. We don't go to church, but we still have ethics.

If you don't want to see news like this, turn off your TV. I had a 5 year old and a 1 year old when the Columbine massacre happened. All parents and anyone with a shred of humanity in them were shocked and dismayed by what happened, and how the apparent warning signs were missed. You go home, give your kids an extra hug, and tell them you love them. Then you go back out and make the world a better place for them.

In terms of the world they're growing up in, it's already here. What are we all going to do about it? What are you going to do about it? What can you do?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
As much as this latest awful atrocity is about guns, it isn't at the same time. And you're right the States has a crazy gun culture, but this entire issue goes much deeper imho.

Nobody in society today is willing to take responsibility for their actions, whether it's petty crime, their treatment of others, bullying, big time crime, debt, government spending, riots over stupid hockey games, etc etc etc.

We have what seems like a daily occurence of hit and run accidents. Kids with no proper parenting being provided. Teachers not guiding and molding kids like they used to (generally speaking of course- I know many wonderful teachers and had many amazing mentors in my life that were teachers, it just seems less common now than before) etc etc etc.

Behaviours are mostly learned. To learn something someone/something must teach. Society is gross and must change.

Media Glamourization of the Killers and sensational reporting of events, bad/absentee parenting, broken homes through divorce, moral/ethical slippage in society in general, lax gun laws, and many other systemic problems ended up with 20 innocent little kids gunned down for no good reason. We are all to blame as we people individually add up to make "society"

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Liked and Thanked for your post Trece. Good Stuff. Must have been typing out our posts at the same time.

I wasn't surprised to check in to TTPville and not see a specific thread. I needed more than a day or two to collect my thoughts and feelings before going through some therapeutic posting & dialogue here.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I refrained from posting about the Connecticut killings because- TBH- I don't have it in me to get into an e-fight with someone about gun control. I've always been pretty vocal on the need to have strict gun control in the US (and here). I've always thought that their- for lack of a better term- freedom with firearms is absurd to the extreme. It fires me up, and I find myself questioning how I can be good friends with people down there who are of the honest belief that every American should have the right to "bear arms". It really makes me question their intelligence, and my how I can be good friends with people who are so fcuking stupid when it comes to this issue. I don't know if there is a better way of stating it.

The whole situation, in keeping with the theme of this thread, is an issue that constantly makes me say "WTF?".

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, the upside of the US' gun control policy is that no country can win a land war in the US. The US is better armed than anyone anywhere, period.

The downside is that other countries don't need to invade as the Americans are shooting each other.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I refrained from posting about the Connecticut killings because- TBH- I don't have it in me to get into an e-fight with someone about gun control...

Is there one salient argument that can be made, by a person considered to be sane and logical, that is pro- their current gun laws/pro- second ammendment?

There are several versions of the text of the Second Amendment, each with slight capitalization and punctuation differences, found in the official documents surrounding the adoption of the Bill of Rights.[SUP][5][/SUP] One version was passed by the Congress,[SUP][6][/SUP] while another is found in the copies distributed to the States[SUP][7][/SUP] and then ratified by them.As passed by the Congress:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[SUP][8][/SUP]
The original hand-written copy of the Bill of Rights, approved by the House and Senate, was prepared by scribe William Lambert and resides in the National Archives.

This was when the Yanks were just Pioneers, and "arms" referred to hand loaded/muzzle loaded muskets and pistols... not a well equipped Military Force who just happens to be unrivaled and is the largest employer in the world. It also wasn't referring to individuals who might well be mentally ill having access to automatic large capacity magazine firearms. Note it was prepared by a scribe not a MacBook Pro...

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It drives me crazy. A few things were a little different when the 2nd amendment was written (1791):

1. Guns then were a single shot, loaded through the muzzle. If you were to use your shot, it would take you at least a half minute to reload. Think how long it takes to run the length of a soccer field.

2. The population in the US was about 3 million people (over 300 million now, with 17 million people in NYC and LA each)

3. There was alcohol, but not mind blowing drugs like crystal meth, crack cocaine, that could instantly send you out of your tree.

4. People only learned how to kill by practicing (in wars, on the farm). Information on how to do it was not available on TV and the Internet.

The increase in personal kill power of guns, massive population increase and more importantly density, a wide availability of cheap mind altering drugs/alcohol, and unlimited resources on "how to" make for a deadly combination.

But, I work with all sorts of people who quote the second amendment as much as they quote the bible (and they are the same people 95% of the time).

Please America, put down the gun, smoke a doob, and listen to some music, would you?

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
To follow up on Freddy's point....

People also rarely lived beyond their 40's and the crippled and crazed were housed on Insane Asylums which you could pay to go and view the loonies if you'd like.

It wasn't that far removed from a time when we were hunting witches....

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read today that child body armour sales are through the roof in some areas. How's that for a winter checklist...lunch, gloves, toque, body armor... so bent.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
smoke a doob

George Washington enjoyed a wee hit and too right Freddy I'm sure when he wanted the right to bear arms it was at that time and the facts you outline.
Well played.

Perhaps the fact that they've legalized marijuana now in some states shows a willingness for change in the US.
Let's hope it comes to fruition on revisiting things like the constitution and knowing how fcuking stupid it really is on the right to bear arms.

I don't agree with my good friend Dude.
I love going to the States, feel safe there, and frankly I've never met an American I didn't like.

But for fcuk's sakes my southern cousins, enough with the guns already.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love visiting the states and even briefly contemplated moving the family to California for a work transfer.

I've never been to the deep south save Florida I guess, where I was holed up in a gated community golf resort for work training... I've heard the horror stories.

I don't think Orange County CA, Las Vegas, San Fransicom, Phoenix and Seattle being my sample size is enough for me to properly asses the complete situation... I'm not sure I'm going into South Central or Compton on Vacay, but then Newtown Conn isn't exactly Compton either...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
George Washington enjoyed a wee hit and too right Freddy I'm sure when he wanted the right to bear arms it was at that time and the facts you outline.
Well played.

Perhaps the fact that they've legalized marijuana now in some states shows a willingness for change in the US.
Let's hope it comes to fruition on revisiting things like the constitution and knowing how fcuking stupid it really is on the right to bear arms.

I don't agree with my good friend Dude.
I love going to the States, feel safe there, and frankly I've never met an American I didn't like.

But for fcuk's sakes my southern cousins, enough with the guns already.

Don't get me wrong RF, I have a lot of great friends and colleagues down there, but seriously, besides those friendships, the States offers me nothing anymore. No culture, I've seen all the great sites, and why would I choose to spend my tourism dollars in a country that supports something I'm so dead-set against? There are so many better spots in the world to explore that are just more difficult to get to. I have no desire to go down there anymore, and frankly, with everyone packing around guns now, how can you seriously feel safer than, say, Argentina?

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't get me wrong RF, I have a lot of great friends and colleagues down there, but seriously, besides those friendships, the States offers me nothing anymore. No culture, I've seen all the great sites, and why would I choose to spend my tourism dollars in a country that supports something I'm so dead-set against? There are so many better spots in the world to explore that are just more difficult to get to. I have no desire to go down there anymore, and frankly, with everyone packing around guns now, how can you seriously feel safer than, say, Argentina?

I just got back from visiting my rich Republican cousins in LA. Their mentality is crazy. One of them was adamant that Obama was born in Kenya. Seriously. Then they criticized my decision to bring my family to Cuba. They said it was irresponsible. I pointed out that at absolutely no time did i feel threatened in Havana. I explained that I could drive 6 minutes in LA and find a place that I really wouldn't want to be. They couldn't see my point of view. Then after showing me their new 3 million dollar beach house they complained that Obama was going to raise their taxes. I don't know how you fix that country. These were university graduates running successful businesses. Yet they watch fox news and think the tea party is great? They really love how I'm the Vice-President of a Union. lmfao

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts