Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Wide Screen

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeps,

Some interesting findings:rolleyes:

Can you tell me this........I have just ordered a new 51" Wide Screen T.V. One feature was the Wide Screen the drew me to it. However in reading your post about poor supply of DVD's formatted for the wide screen, have I made a poor decision?

John

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, no, no. You've made a great decision.

I only mentioned it in relation to the Blockbuster rental chain. During past years, for whatever reason, the Blockbuster powers chose to offer most, if not all, of their DVDs in full screen format. However, largely due to complaints from the public (namely movie buffs and fanatics), they have made some increased steps in offering both. Nevertheless, their full screen selection continues to outweigh their widescreen choices.

That problem, however, is primarily found at Blockbuster. If you frequent Rogers or someother large chain you'll be able to have all the widescreen you want. Be sure though to look closely at what you pull off the shelf -- sometimes the labelling as a subtle as a tiny "ws" after the year and title.

Full screen only continues to be available for those people with small tv's (such as myself, although I just get the proper aspect ratio and sit closer) or people who are too ignorant to apreciate the difference (such as No2).

Enjoy your viewing experiences.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper,

Thank you, I will watch what I grab off of the shelf?

I understand that the makers of big screens are going to be only producing the wide screens, much like how the plasma only comes that way.

While I have you, or anyone else that might have two bits to way in with, can you tell me the plus and minus's of getting say Star Choice or Direct TV etc over cable? Is there a better service to go with?

Thanks in advance,

John

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wabbit ears.....

John:

Most of the techno-geeks I work with (if hooked up via satellite) are subscribing to Bell Express-Vue. They claim that the service is a bit better. I don't think there's much difference in the technology.

The practicality of having a dish basically depends on whether line-of-sight is available to you from where you want to install the dish to the satellite it's trying to receive from (usually to the southeast). If you live down in the bottom of a valley against the north side of a very big hill, then chances are that this won't be your best option, and "digital (or other) cable" becomes a choice. This is a bit of an oxymoron because all cable signals are essentially "digital."

Obviously, if you've taken the trouble of buying a 51 inch screen, you intend to watch it rather more frequently than somebody with Grandma's old 13 inch black and white portable, so the best thing to do from my perspective is to compare packages and evaluate them on the basis of how much you realistically intend to watch, and what.

Just keep in mind that "57 channels and nothing on" has expanded to "600 channels and nothing on....":rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stew:cool: (with rectangular pupils)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're playing in red son ........

Just keep in mind that "57 channels and nothing on" has expanded to "600 channels and nothing on...."

John,

Stew is 100% correct even though with 600 channels, you're bound to find one that will teach you how to trap, pass and shoot a ball :D.

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not likely

Walks,

It would just be a TV show not a miracle worker!!

LeanthePotnottheKettle

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks,

How does it go..............those that can do, those that can't REF!

Cheers,

John

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Lean,

The game is cancelled....................... for you:D

johnthepotandthekettle

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks can't ref either

those that can do, those that can't REF!

Perfect ........ I'll swap you positions this weekend mate. You can ref and I'll sit on the bench with a water bottle :D. Don't worry though, in between my games I'll come over and show you how to pass the ball :D

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Walks can't ref either

Walks

Originally posted by Walks
Perfect ........ I'll swap you positions this weekend mate. You can ref and I'll sit on the bench with a water bottle :D

Swap me positions...............isn't that all you do while you ref anyways?:eek:

~P~

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Center Circle

Do you two call that the Center Circle Shuffle!! Ref marks center half, center half blames ref for getting in his way, etc. etc.......

Leannotexpectingtoplayorgetacalltonight

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why venture outside the circle ??

Lean,

I was just trying to help John out ..... Alumni and all that business :D.

I believe the game is at Kinsman tonight isn't it John ??

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
hey keeper...

Bringing it back on topic...
Full screen only continues to be available for those people ... who are too ignorant to apreciate the difference (such as No2).
Forgive me for choosing to provide adequate food, shelter, and clothing for my family, so that my lovely wife can spend as much time as possible raising our two wonderful children, before upgrading my 12 year old 21" colour TV.

And, while I agree it would be nice to have a 60" flat panel lcd screen mounted to the wall capable of showing movies, etc. I'd be a little turned off if I found my wife watching 'Orca' Winfrey broadcast over a W I D E screen image.

number2 out.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts