Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Vancouver Canucks 2003/2004

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks acquire Grenier from Coyotes

July 25, 2003

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Vancouver Canucks acquired big defenseman Martin Grenier from the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday in exchange for defenseman Bryan Helmer.

Grenier, a 6-5, 244-pound native of Laval, Que., spent most of last season with the AHL's Springfield Falcons, where he recorded two goals and 10 assists in 73 games. The 22-year-old was scoreless in three games with the Coyotes.

Last season, the 6-1, 200-pound Helmer played 60 games with the AHL's Manitoba Moose, recording seven goals and 24 assists with 82 penalty minutes.

The Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., native has played four seasons in the NHL with Phoenix, St. Louis and Vancouver, recording eight goals and 14 assists with 123 penalty minutes.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Is this guy any good? An upgrade to Helmer?

~Regs.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A new skate sharpener would be a massive upgrade from Helmer.

Burke loves dealing for guys who can play for Manitoba. If Baron doesn't come back, I guess Allen will finally move into a permanent role, which means Jokkela and Baumgartner will be first in line for callups from the Moose. So I don't know where this Grenier fella will fit in.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
waste of time

It's a trade of one farm hand for another.

Unless he's building up for a bigger package in another trade.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Age.......

At least the new Farm hand is younger (by about a decade), and hes a BIG F*CKING dude at 6'5" 245.... Hope he can at least skate....

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The sisters have accepted their qualifying offer.

The Canucks have doubled their pleasure with the twin signing.

VANCOUVER - Free agents Henrik and Daniel Sedin have accepted their qualifying offers from the Vancouver Canucks, according to the Team 1040.

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Way to go Brian

The Canucks just signed Unrestricted Free Agent Dallas Eakins. In 15 proffessional Hockey seasons he has played in 120 NHL games. Thats not a typo 120 games, or less than 10 per season. He wasnt even good enough last year to make the Atlanta Thrashers.

Revisgrowingveryfrusteratedbymrarrogantbrianburke

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't understand what everyone is complaining about! Brian Burke is making a serious run at the much coveted AHL Calder Cup! Forget Lord Stanley...

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Signings...

The only NEW quality signings they have made all off season was the new Television and Radio deal..

Cheap Asses.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks acquire Hedberg from Penguins

Canadian Press

8/25/2003

PITTSBURGH - The Penguins have acquired a second round choice in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft from Vancouver in exchange for goaltender Johan Hedberg, it was announced today by Penguins General Manager Craig Patrick.

Hedberg, 30, played in 41 games during the 2002-2003 season with the Penguins, posting a 14-22-4 record with a 3.14 goals against average and one shutout.

Hedberg was acquired by the Penguins on March 12, 2001 from San Jose with Bobby Dollas in exchange for Jeff Norton. He made his NHL debut with the Penguins in 2000-2001, appearing in nine games, posting a 7-1-1 record with a 2.64 goals against average.

The Leksand, Sweden native has played in 116 career NHL games, all with the Penguins. He has posted a career record of 46-57-12 with a 2.88 goals against average and seven shutouts.

The move leaves the Penguins with four goaltenders under contract for the 2003-2004 season; Sebastien Caron, Jean-Sebastien Aubin, Andy Chiodo and Martin Brochu.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Initial reaction: not a bad pick-up for the back-up position, well done Burke!

Haven't had time to have any further thoughts :)

Truth be told though, I'm looking forward to seeing if any of "the kids" can make an impact with the team for the first couple of months... If Reid can continue to do what he did in last year's playoffs, all this media talk about the team doing nothing in the offseason will look stupid.

Just like some of you will say I am for thinking otherwise :)

Cheers,

~Regs.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like it. Hedgberg is relatively cheap salary and trade wise and he will push Cloutier for his #1 spot. Still at the same time there is no reason for Cloutier to be nervous that he won't start the season at #1. Also, if Cloutier falters in the playoffs, which will never happen:rolleyes: , Hedberg has had play-off success in the past and may be able to take the nucks past the 2nd round.

Still I think any move would have been welcomed by Burke. I guess he is counting of the Swedish sisters to flourish this year into a proven second line.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good move. Didn't give up much - Vancouver gets a guy capable of pushing Cloutier more effectively than Skudra and Auld were able to during their stints as the #2.

Aside from a few brief periods of solid play while Cloutier was injured, nobody ever really thought Skudra had a chance in hell of earning the starting spot here. Auld is still too young and could use one more year in Manitoba. With Hedberg, you can at least leave the possibility open, given the fact he was the guy in Pittsburgh for a few years, and made it to the Eastern Conference finals.

It will be interesting to see how Cloutier reacts to Burkie bringing in a former starting goalie, close to the same age, with equal (if not more) playoff experience. Maybe the whole looking-over-your-shoulder idea will spur on Danny to keep his concentration during crucial times like, oh I don't know, the Western Conference semifinals.

If Hedberg can stop Darby Hendrickson's vaunted 30-foot slapshot, we could see a changing of the guard in the Vancouver Canucks' goaltending order.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cellery

Originally posted by willis316
I like it. Hedgberg is relatively cheap salary and trade wise and he will push Cloutier for his #1 spot.

The guy made 1.1Million US last season I believe, thats not exactly cheap. I think your right about him pushing the Sieve Cloutier.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burke said it was more than he wanted to spend on a goalie but is happy in getting this guy!

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If it cost them a bucket of pucks, he would have said it was more than he wanted to spend.:rolleyes:

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Report: Canucks sign Slegr
9/3/2003

The Vancouver Canucks are looking to former player Jiri Slegr as a replacement for unsigned defenceman Murray Baron.

According to the Vancouver Province, Slegr has agreed to a one year deal worth $800,000 but with bonuses, he could earn slightly less than $1-million.

Canucks assistant general manager Dave Nonis refused to comment on the report except to say that the team is considering all options in replacing Baron.

"We'll look at signing another NHL defenceman," Nonis tells the Vancouver Sun. "I think we'll find someone who fits into our group of veterans."

Baron rejected a one year, $1-million offer from Vancouver before becoming an unrestricted free agent in July. Since then, he has been unable to find another team willing to give him a multi-year offer.

Baron's agent Steve Mountain says his first choice is to return to Vancouver. Nonis admits that signing another player would not close the door on a return for Baron but would make it more difficult.

The 32-year-old Slegr turned down a $2.5-million offer from the Atlanta Thrashers last season before splitting his playing time between teams in his native Czech Republic and Russia. He last played for the Canucks in 1995.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jiri Slacker

Originally posted by zenga
Report: Canucks sign Slegr
9/3/2003

The 32-year-old Slegr turned down a $2.5-million offer from the Atlanta Thrashers last season before splitting his playing time between teams in his native Czech Republic and Russia. He last played for the Canucks in 1995.

Smart business move for Jiri. How much did he earn playing in Europe? I would think it would have been less than 2.5 Mill, now he's playing for 800K?? Anyhow I hope he's a help to the signing-challenged Canucks, I was hoping for more exiting news.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Jiri Slacker

Originally posted by suburbanator
Smart business move for Jiri. How much did he earn playing in Europe? I would think it would have been less than 2.5 Mill, now he's playing for 800K?? Anyhow I hope he's a help to the signing-challenged Canucks, I was hoping for more exiting news.

Playing in russia, he probably got paid in Fruit and bread....but got about $1 Mill from the local mobster under the table.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts