Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The State of Electric Vehicles in 2021

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Started the painful process of searching around for next ride, anyone else here recently done the same and went the EV route?

Seems inventory is a big problem these days (chip shortages in SE Asia or something like that).

Seems a bit of a joke that EV cars are more expensive than their non-ev counterparts. Sure the iZEV and BC program rebates help but still...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
My sister just got a tesla.

Qualifed for rebate she got back around 5k if i am not mistaken?

I was the one who recomended dhe she buy it given the very low maintenace, the price point and the gas savings.

The car is fast the amount of torque it puts down is nuts.

You do need to get used to the braking. The car actuall breaks on its own when you let the gas go kinda like a go cart. You get used to it.

I am a car guy always have been so for me I factor other things in such as handling looks suspension etc so just being electric and good on gas would not influence my decison as much. For my sister the low maintenance, gas savings and tech included in the tesla is all she needs.

If your looking for a good commuter car and you drive lots the gas savings alone is very good. She has already saved around 300 a month on gas.

Tesla handles the rebate etc and just reduces the price at the end so it is easy. Just make sure that the rebate is available as I think it eventually runs out each year and then gets "refilled"by the govt in January.

Just some thoughts. Crazy thing is you go in order your car put down deposit and wait. No haggling nothing.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Feds give $5000 rebate
Province gives $3000 rebate

On qualifying vehicles I should add which is tied to the MSRP ($55K and below I think)?

If getting a hybrid, still can get rebates but not as much.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes thats right my sister got the entry level tesla and got 8k back.

She added a few options like blue colour etc.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
While I/we like the Tesla, it's just out of our current price range (unless we do the limited KM of 150 per charge which is, well, limiting).

What Hyundai has on the market we like, both the Ionic and the Kona

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m about a month into owning an EV, and so far it’s been great. I received $8000 in rebates, and I believe there’s a tax credit for installation of the charger at home which I had done last week. Could be wrong about the tax credit though, guess we’ll see come tax season.

Wife and I needed something more family oriented from my previous truck, so we started looking at SUV’s. In the past few months we decided that possibly the best route was to put out a bit more money, go electric, and then ended up getting a Kia Niro. It’s not a full size SUV but it’s definitely big enough, and it gets up-to 455 km on a full charge. It’s also slightly cheaper than the competitors.

My only stress was finding time to charge the thing prior to installing my charger, as I’m using it currently as my daily commuter.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m about a month into owning an EV, and so far it’s been great. I received $8000 in rebates, and I believe there’s a tax credit for installation of the charger at home which I had done last week. Could be wrong about the tax credit though, guess we’ll see come tax season.

Wife and I needed something more family oriented from my previous truck, so we started looking at SUV’s. In the past few months we decided that possibly the best route was to put out a bit more money, go electric, and then ended up getting a Kia Niro. It’s not a full size SUV but it’s definitely big enough, and it gets up-to 455 km on a full charge. It’s also slightly cheaper than the competitors.

My only stress was finding time to charge the thing prior to installing my charger, as I’m using it currently as my daily commuter.
Yes, we've looked at the Niro too, I think it is similar to the Kona. How much did the charger & install set you back?

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, we've looked at the Niro too, I think it is similar to the Kona. How much did the charger & install set you back?

Charger came free with the vehicle. Not sure if that’s usual or not, and It took about 2 weeks to arrive. I’m sure any dealership would include one if asked.

Install cost me $1000. $750 homeowners permit, parts & labour (friend) $250. Still gotta patch some drywall but that won’t cost me much.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Permit? Well, I guess local governments need their mitts in the pie somehow :(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My next will be an EV or Hybrid. Currently in a Volvo V90 XC and love it. Currently looks like they’ve gone Hybrid with the V90, which may suit me better....pretty sure I’m tapped on Power in our home.

I’m at least a year away, maybe two....but definitely getting sick of the gas.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We bought an electric kona, cost 46,000 minus 8,000 rebate brought price to 38,000, plus taxes etc. Has a 300 mile range. I plug it into a regular 120 outlet at home. Have driven it 13,000km so far with no issues. Many trips to the okanagan.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Large bump as the wife is finally pulling the trigger and picks up her new Tesla tomorrow... I think total rebates now are up to $9K.

For me personally, I went with a non-electric SUV a couple of months ago - 2023 Nissan Rogue Platinum - so far so good... deal at the time of purchase included lifetime oil changes so takes a bit of the maintenance sting away.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Large bump as the wife is finally pulling the trigger and picks up her new Tesla tomorrow... I think total rebates now are up to $9K.

For me personally, I went with a non-electric SUV a couple of months ago - 2023 Nissan Rogue Platinum - so far so good... deal at the time of purchase included lifetime oil changes so takes a bit of the maintenance sting away.
Been shopping for electric myself for both me and Wife. I probably won't pull the trigger because of my requirements to pull the camper. I've been told I can get from Mission to Chilliwack before needing to charge. So it's not there for me yet. The lack of charging stations still give me a bit of anxiety. Then there's the home charging option tiers I'm not quite clear on. Think I'm gonna wait it out a bit longer until thers a world wide lithium shortage before I join.

elon-musk-smoke.gif

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Many Hybrids today are great as well can give you 50 to 70km range. More than enough to drive to work and back everyday and most likely only need to put in gas once a month for a basic commute.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts