Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Departed

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it's the worst of all cliches, but....

If you see only one movie this year, see "The Departed".

It's fcuking awesome. Jack hasn't been this good since "As Good As It Gets" or maybe even "The Shining"; Matt Damon does an amazing job at playing an a-hole; DiCaprio has finally become a mature actor -- he's no longer the kid-like actor of movies past; and Baldwin is halarious as his quirky self.

Although the story is a remake of a 2000-something Japanese film, Scorcese does a great job with character development and, of course, bloody violence. While the Japanese version was based on a Japanese police forces (so I'm told), this version is based on the Irish-Boston Community/State Police Force. I've never been to Boston, but the accents sounded believable to me.

The action isn't edge of your seat, but the writing and suspense is. Halfway through the movie, you'll find yourself leaning forward and head-on-chin. Just like everyone else in the theatre.

Expect at least 4 Oscar nominations: Best Picture, Director, Actor, and Supporting Actor.

Wicked.

Bluenose

Nov 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've seen the Hong Kong original, Infernal Affairs, and it is a superior flim to The Departed. While The Departed did a far better job of giving the characters more depth, it really failed to establish the personal bond and interaction that was present between the two cops from the original. It also had a clearer ending as it did not include one unnecessary character that was present in The Departed and had an actual resolution to the movie that was lacking in Scorcese's interpretation and not as forced as the one applied. Not to say that I did not enjoy The Departed but coming from the material it had to work with, I was disappointed. It removed the subtlety of the original for a bluntness that was unnecessary and awkward. It beefed up the roles of some characters to give some face actors more screentime but detracted from the actual storyline as they were superfluous to what was actually going on.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bluenose,

Is Internal Affairs available on DVD? I've also heard very good things about it since The Departed came out, but never before.

Bluenose

Nov 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
keeper,

INFERNAL AFFAIRS is available on dvd, as I am staring at my copy as I type this. And yes, it is very good.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0