Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thank You Praxair!

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
RICHMOND (NEWS1130) - Sixty-seven students and five teachers from Hamilton Elementary School in Richmond were taken to Royal Columbian Hospital this morning for observation after they suffered nausea, headaches and burning eyes. It was from a bad smell brought into the school by the ventilation system. It turns out the smell came from Praxair on Annacis Island.

A worker opened a nitrogen tank but instead it spewed out methyl mercaptan *(see next quote), the chemical used to give natural gas its 'rotten eggs' smell. Normally that chemical would not be at the Praxair plant and the company is investigating to find out how it got into the nitrogen tank.

The Richmond School Board says the 310 children not affected by the bad odor were taken to a nearby high school (McNeil). Parents of the children taken to hospital were notified. If you don't hear from the school board, that means your child has been taken to the secondary school.

Methyl mercaptan is not considered toxic but because of it's strong odor, it can make you feel sick. Several businesses on Annacis Island were also evacuated this morning as they waited for the strong smell to dissipate from their buildings.

TransLink provided a bus to transport students to hospital for observation.

*Methanethiol (also known as methyl mercaptan) is a colorless gas with a smell like rotten cabbage. It is a natural substance found in the blood, brain, and other tissues of people and animals. It is released from animal feces. It occurs naturally in certain foods, such as some nuts and cheese. It is also one of the main chemicals responsible for bad breath and the smell in flatulence. The chemical formula for methanethiol is CH3SH; it is classified as a thiol.

Methanethiol is released from decaying organic matter in marshes and is present in the natural gas of certain regions, in coal tar, and in some crude oils.

This crap ain't dissapating. We are directly across from Praxair where this stuff was leaked from and it is unbelieveable how bad it smells. Worse than any of my DCS performances for sure. We have had 3 people go home sick due to the noxious rank smell of this. think propane gas leak but 10 times as bad. anyone going over alx fraser bridge this afternoon will be smelling this.

Yuk.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...when did McNeill High School get moved to be near Hamilton Elementary?:confused:

That was a bit of a detour for those kids' parents...

Gurps:

Sounds like you've got an excuse to go watch the hockey game at a pub (not that you ever needed one before...)

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was on Annacis late this afternoon and was blaming myself. It's a relief to know that our friends at Praxair are the culprits.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still smells awful today. at least i can drop chili bombs all day and people won't know who it is. :D

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've noticed an ass like smell over that way for years? it's about time you guys caught on.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0