Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Surrey Soccer Yearly ClusterFcuk

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RANT ALERT

I am SICK of the argument that, "Well, other sports costs a lot of money too, what's the big deal?"

Firstly, look closely at the elite baseball level, they are doing way, way more in BC with way less costs. When you have a program like Langley Blaze that have close to 100% of their players going on to professional / university / National programs after graduation, and doing it for a lot less costs to parents, questions need to be asked.

Secondly, I DON'T GIVE A FCUK ABOUT OTHER SPORTS! I care about football! I want our players to gain professional opportunities, and our National teams to be in contention for Olympics / World Cups. Full stop.

I point to a time where we were on the right path, and my generation of players (born 65-80 ish) didn't need to have low income parents take on a second job to afford the programs. The programs found the good players, and made it easy to develop them further. If you were good, you moved up. No glass ceilings, no barriers, no coaches blocking the way to "keep a group together". If you were in C, and dominating, you moved up to B. Dominate B, move into A. Dominate A, you get a try-out to Metro. Win the try-out, and some kid would get dropped to A.

In Coquitlam, that was commonplace. Hungry players worked to overcome deficiencies so they could fight for that promotion up the ladder. Nobody had to tell us to go get 2,000 touches in the backyard every day. We walked to school w/ the ball in a net and practiced juggling the whole way.

Our generation produced some really good players. Too bad the professional pathway fell apart. But, I guarantee you, a @Regs (and so many guys, really, a bunch) would have been an MLS player if there were a pathway when he was young. That's all for compliments, Merry Christmas.

Now? We don't even give ourselves a chance at identifying all the best players and creating that competition. We have a pathway, great, now we've killed the funnel.

You want your kid to be the top player? Fantastic, hope he understands that if he's really good, his path will be easy, and he won't get the true competition he needs to excel.

Rant over.
Lots to add / comment on but have a meeting to prep for... there were plenty of issues for all of us back then. I'll try and construct a response this weekend.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots to add / comment on but have a meeting to prep for... there were plenty of issues for all of us back then. I'll try and construct a response this weekend.

Please do.

It was far from perfect, but I strongly subscribe to the theory that the best combination of hungriest, hardest working, and most talent should win out. That combination of attributes should mean you rise to the top.

Right now, I feel like we are eliminating 2/3 of those critical elements. I don't think we are seeing the most talented rise up, or the hungriest. I do feel like players are working harder than ever, and good on them. This is not a rant directed at the players, it's a rant directed at the system that has watered down and put in place barriers to competition.

Like @Michael's kid. I'd sure he's as talented as his peers, and I'll assume his parent's have the means to get him the best development money can buy here. I'm sure he'll work hard...but what IF 1/3 of his peers don't have the means to get the same development he does? His fight to the top, arguably, becomes less difficult than it really needs to be. Hey, he may be the next Alphonzo Davies, but he could be the next @Dude , and you don't want that kid getting through the competition on the way to the Whitecaps, do you Regs? :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello.

Covid is making me squirrelly so maybe providing some drama out here in the open forums will spice things up in my life...

So there is a new group / club supposedly starting up in Surrey called Cloverdale United. No website yet but they are supposedly already taking registrations and they are leading off with free registrations for younger group ages.

Who in their right mind would sign there kids up for this with no idea who is coaching, nevermind who runs this outfit?

So poking around behind the curtains the last couple of days after seeing something on twatter, seems like we are in for some fun along the lines what we've seen in Surrey Newton the last decade or so.

Fun times ahead 100%.

Anyone else hear any rumours or know some concrete details?

Website still "Coming Soon" - how many registrations have they taken up till this point? I hope no one has been swindled, the optics are not great.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
jesus popcorn GIF

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Website still "coming soon" but this dropped a month ago:

shite show in 3, 2, 1...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

Any word on who is behind the club?

Yes, from the rumblings I've heard he's an absolute weapon who rose the ranks at BC Soccer to the level of VP. He pissed off the staff and community alike while judicial chair by flip flopping on decisions to choose whatever benefitted his own self-interest and then throwing staff under the bus when called on it.

He had an ill-attempted run at the Presidency, and finally left in shame when he was obliterated in the election. Maybe he somehow blames Surrey United for that defeat?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts