Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strong Individual Game Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's see if this'll fly.

This thread is to identify strong player performances on a game-by-game basis. It is, and I stress, not for yammering on and on about how great you think your favourite Croat or Italian has played since his was in nappies. Let's hear about some lesser knowns.

We'll start off with the Turkish goalkeeper, Rustu Recber, in last night's Brazil-Turkey clash. The poor bastard stood on his head for 85 minutes, only to piss it away with a bad clearance which led to a game winning PK for Rivaldo (even then, he almost saved the PK). Look for Turkey to pick up a valuable win on the back of Recber.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Same game... Denilsen was amazing when he came on for Brazil.

I also thought Veron was very good for the Argies in their first game... That England/Argentina tilt coming up is going to be a cracker!

~TB.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zanetti for Argentina had a very strong game aswell making cutting runs through the defences and Ortega played well too.

Great goal by Ronaldo, Regs I agree with you that he will be one of the surprises this tourney.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strong Argies

Even though the Argies only won 1-0 they looked like a very dangerous team. I was very impressed with the way they closed the opposition down when they had the ball. And obviously they knocked it about pretty well.

Veron looks like he's in the mood to prove some critics in England wrong. Like Fastshow!:D

Daz:cool:

Crazy Calabrese

Apr 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panucci

Italy's backline has two of the biggest defensive stars in all of football...Maldini and Nesta. With Canavaro alongside that duo it is hard for anyone else to get the recognition. But, after watching yesterdays game, Christian Panucci played extremely well and deserves some credit. He was solid in all of his tackles and played extremely well on the right side with Zambrotta. With his emergence as a great defender he can only Italy's chances of going far in the tourney.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of Turkey

The guy who scored their lone goal against Brazil - Hasan Sas - is fcuking quality. I saw him a couple of times in the Champions League with Galatasaray and was very impressed with his footwork and ball skills. The goal he scored two days ago was a exceptionally well-taken strike, given the angle he had to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an offer from a big name European Club at the end of WC 2002. He'll have had a lot of exposure by that time.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

It was a really well taken goal. But the pass was even better. Great vision by whoever passed it. Totally threw the Brazillian defence off.

Daz

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Daz,

The guy who set it up, Basturk, plays for Leverkusen.

It's not really much of a surprise that Turkey performed as well as they did, given the success their club sides have had in European competition over the past few seasons. And the guys who play abroad - notably Tugay with Blackburn - are very tricky players with loads of skill.

They kinda got the shaft with a couple of poor calls against Brazil. I still fancy them for that second spot, though.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice pick.

Sens,

I agree. Not only does he have the coolest name in Football, that first touch, half volley was magic. He was all over the park that game and made an impact wherever he was.

Good choice.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just finished watching Japan v. Belgium.

Japan looked good - unlike the other two Asian nations I've seen play, they showed a lot of individual flair and creativity rather than going forward and defending in numbers like robots (ie: China).

Still, they're god-awful defending set pieces which is mostly due to their complete inability to win anything in the air. Good lord did they struggle with the high ball today.

The individual performance that caught my eye was that of Junichi Inamoto, of Arsenal. At 22 he's miles ahead of his teammates, with the exception of Nakata, and he's got to get more than the occasional Worthington Cup game in with the Arse if he can perform like this on a regular basis. Scored a nice goal against the Belgians, and basically had his second taken away by a call on a seemingly harmless tackle which led to his finish.

Belgium isn't a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but you have to figure the Japanese are happy with the result and play of Inamoto.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Today during the France Uraguay match Recoba was all over the place ok he missed a sitter but he was making the WORLD CHAMPIONS look very stupid. I dont like Barthez but if it wasnt for him the French would be packing as we speak.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga,

Great shout w/Recoba. Very strong match today, probably the only Uruguyan that provided any offensive threat against the French. He was very, very unlucky not to have found the scoresheet.

France are in serious trouble against Denmark without Henry and possibly Zidane. They are in desperate need of a win, but if Denmark plays smart (read: sit back and defend for 90), they can kill two birds with one stone - advance to the second round and eliminate the defending champs in the group stage.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Petit is out as well? Two yellows in the tourney I believe means a one game suspension.

France is done like dinner :rolleyes:

~TB.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As much as I hate the French...

They are not going to just fall like leaves... minus Zidane, Henry and Petit they will still beat the Danes!!! It is just a matter of by how many... Le Poof went down with injury meanung Thurman will go inside at the back making for a stronger backline...

Guinnesshopingheiswrong...

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, they will Fold like a Tent

The French have been terrible in the first two gamesm they started with them being far to casual in the opening game vs. Senegal, they played like they were World Chumps, with no intenstiy in the attacking 1/3.
France will go home after their last game, they came into to the tourney too cokcey with the World Cup - European Cup double.

HOSsaysFrancewillFoldlikeinWW2

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good discussion but.....

Can you please take it to Group A. . This is for Individual player performances.

Cheers.

P.S. France are done. :D

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs:

Confirmed. Two yellows and you sit. Petit is out vs. Denmark.

------------------

That English dude who replaced Hargreaves (Sinclair, I think), did very well, I thought. Very fast, very determined. Even if Hargreaves is healthy again . . . I wonder if he'll be able to make the starting lineup again.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man of the Match

Mr Rapaic himself!!! What a beautiful goal. I still can't believe it went in!!!! Watch the replay over and over and over!!! Bearuty.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts