Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sporting At The Nationals, Day 1/2

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks in part to a loaner laptop from work and the fine Ethernet in-room connection at the Calgary Radisson, this sure-to-be-engaging version of the Sporting National Diary is ready to go.

Flew into Cowtown yesterday. We've really established ourselves as the belles of the ball after missing the opening ceremonies. While eating dinner in the hotel bar, we got a phone call about 10 minutes before the commencement of the ceremonies asking of our whereabouts. What are you supposed to say when you're knee deep in beer, pizza and wings at a place called Country Roads? Lie and tell them your team is at chapel for nightly prayers, that's what. Either way, we're now a total wildcard as nobody knows what we look like. We are the ultimate unscouted entity. My idea now is to just play this entire tournament wearing Balaclavas and numberless jerseys. I'll keep you posted on what kind of response that gets.

Calgary is a funny city. The general fashion statement around here is to wear a cowboy hat with a Kiprusoff jersey, and to smoke unfiltered cigarettes. Oh, and you can hack cancer sticks indoors, which means everything smells like an stale ashtray. Pretty rad.

Weather is actually quite good - hovering around 5-10 - and we've avoided rain, sleet and snow thus far. Light training session yesterday and now we're getting geared up for our 3:30 match today against the Edmonton Green and Gold.

Most of us are still struggling with jet lag and the time zone change. I miss my country. They only charge you one tax here and when it's 5:00pm in BC, it's 6:00pm here. Quite confusing.

I'll try to give a match report when we get back to the hotel after the game.

Regards,
-Me.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is that an early end to the Diary? :confused:

Wow, never would have predicted that.

Wait, was that the final after PKs? That would make more sense... :D

Sorry, a little humour sometimes helps the sting and disappointment... is 5th the highest probable finsh now?

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow!

That sucks. :(

I don't like this trend. B.C. guys and gals loosing thier first games.

Let's break that streak please.

Good luck Sensei.

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Is that an early end to the Diary? :confused:

Regs,
Why is there 2 threads for this. Is this why BC can't win anymore, you can't focus on one thing at a time??
Is it some thing in the water??
Nobby

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was focussed 12 months ago... BC can't win anymore? I believe BC is 6-1 in their last 7 games at nationals... Alberta is 1-6, no? :D

This thread was created after I made the "official" one... since the thread starter plays on Sporting, I couldn't exactly say fcuk off, could I? How else are we to get the fricken scores?

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I was focussed 12 months ago... BC can't win anymore? I believe BC is 6-1 in their last 7 games at nationals... Alberta is 1-6, no? :D

This thread was created after I made the "official" one... since the thread starter plays on Sporting, I couldn't exactly say fcuk off, could I? How else are we to get the fricken scores?

Actually its now 2-6, but yes, good point. :confused: I like to forget about last years 9th place if I can!! You were very focused last year, my apologies!!

But you could have told him to post on the already started thread, that way we could all have read his insightful game reports!!

uuummmmmm....yeah

Nobby

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the night before the start of the biggest tournament of your lives and you're drinking a few pints, dinning on hot wings and a pizza missing the opening because you;re no doubt watching hockey. Well done Sporting. You do know it's not the May long weekend and you're not in Penticton don't you? I'm sorry guys, but those three PK's you beat us by sting just that much more now.

Seems you have 5 more days to do as you please now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to admit, when I first read the pints and chicken wings comment, my first thought was, "They'd better win, or somebody will point that out."

So what exactly happened? Is Alberta's best really that much superior to the BC Champs?

KNVB...keep your head up. There's always the prestige of being a winning assistant coach for AAD FC at the CIBC Mini tourney.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
So the night before the start of the biggest tournament of your lives and you're drinking a few pints, dinning on hot wings and a pizza missing the opening because you;re no doubt watching hockey. Well done Sporting. You do know it's not the May long weekend and you're not in Penticton don't you? I'm sorry guys, but those three PK's you beat us by sting just that much more now.

Seems you have 5 more days to do as you please now.

How many National championships has Surrey United won, KNVB? If you have won it, you should have passed all your winning tips on to the Portugese boys as it would have been the only 'sporting' thing to do. Don't you think? If you haven't won a National Championship, then...........

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought exactly the same about the preparation. It reminds a lot of when Peg made our first appearance at Nationals...well, actually I can't remember much of it but I know we made the same mistake. In comparison, when we did manage to pull it off last year the memories consist of training, cool downs, warm ups, ice baths, meetings, team meals with no alocohol for the players, and 1 monumental piss up once we won that frickin cup. Full marks have to go out to Davey & Rand and all the others that won it for BC in the past for understanding what it takes to win.

It's a shame really because it's bloody hard to make it to that tournament and I think Sporting will be in tough to get back there in the near future...not that West Van is booking rooms in...where is it next year? Ah, Vancouver. Should be interesting.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk, Reedie, enough about last year, don't you have to attend to a wee one?

I must say, Reedie is right. This is no long-weekend tourney that you go back to year after year to get away from the girlfriend/wife. This is the national championship. Arguably the best soccer in Canada; and I include the Whitecaps league in the comparison. If it was really about pissups and pizza then I am really embarrassed at the BC effort. Getting pissed, missing opening ceremonies, and getting crushed 4-0. Good on BC, boys!

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bobby,

I'm telling the wee one a little bed side story as we speak...Once upon a time there was these 22 extremely good looking, fit, intelligent & incredibly gifted footballers on a little team called Pegasus...yada yada yada...they beat Sapperton and everyone lived happily ever after.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
Why are the TTP teachers out in full force?.....aren't they all supposed to be on the picket line?!

TEachers have the choice if they want to picket to earn a grand total of $50. There are other teachers who didn't want to strike. IT's personal choice.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
reedie said:
Bobby,

I'm telling the wee one a little bed side story as we speak...Once upon a time there was these 22 extremely good looking, fit, intelligent & incredibly gifted footballers on a little team called Pegasus...yada yada yada...they beat Sapperton and everyone lived happily ever after.

Reedie,

Make sure you tell the wee man about the luggage carousel in the Saskatoon Airport in 1991. I'm pretty sure he would enjoy that. :D

I hope you and your family are doing well........

TAL

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
TEachers have the choice if they want to picket to earn a grand total of $50. There are other teachers who didn't want to strike. IT's personal choice.

Good choice, it probably costs $50 in gas just to get to the school!

BTW,
Anybody have a game report on the BC fiasco? Nobby, fill us in 'cause I gots a feelin JB wont be a talkin.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jesus H Christ, it's like hanging out with a bunch of High School girls. You all done carving shite about Sporting into the bathroom stalls yet?

In case you all haven't noticed, I tend to write with a slightly sacrastic overtone. I figured lines like "the jet lag kills" and "nasty time zone change" would indicate as much, but apparently Wevers didn't get the memo. The "pizza, beer and wings" line was pretty hyperbolic. A couple of guys wanted to watch hockey on a big screen in the hotel. That's about it. How that got manifested into "I heard they were out until 6am doing blow off hooker's asses" is beyond me. I had no idea my little post was about to turn into the National Soccer Bible, or that it could be spun the way it has.

Hleucka, you need to get a goddamn hobby. Seriously.

The opening ceremony was a gong show as they cokced up our hotel reservations and nobody from the organizing committee knew where we were. That's about the extent of that conspiracy. We didn't hear any negative feedback afterwards so it was pretty much water under the bridge. I thought what I wrote would be a funny anecdote, so that I didn't have to come out and say "the lines of communication sucked, and the organization was non-existant", but I guess that's what I get for poking fun.

And ya, I had a beer. Alexander Keiths. I'm pretty sure it was the deciding factor in our game yesterday, especially since I didn't play. Fcuk me. A few of you really make me sick.

I'm not the team spokesperson, nor did I ever claim to be. I thought making a few snide and amusing observations about the tourney and this city would be a laugh and people would enjoy the read, but I guess not. I could have written the real, factual stuff like "light training in the morning, cool down and stretch, chalk talk, whirlpool, in my hotel bed by 10pm" - as engaging as that sounds, it's actually really fcuking dull. And I know because that's basically what Wednesday consisted of. If I wanted to write boring posts about our minute-by-minute schedule, I would have. But I'm not about to apologize for writing what I did. The last time I checked, this website was called Take The Piss, not Keep The Annoying Sapperton Manager Informed.

Anyways, you're all a bunch of bloody vultures circling for another carcass. Draw more conclusions as the weekend unfolds, but you won't be getting much more from me. TTP retirements suck but I can see why they occur.

You can all kiss my ass. Hope you liked the diary. Cheers for watching.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts