Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Soccer Seasons Postponed in Vancouver?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are right, many of the strikers are summer part time help, the economy is booming and workers are making more than they would with the city, so why not go work construction somewhere else in the city, I guess 17.5 percent and a similar package to the other cities is too much to ask for in this day and age.

hos

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Curious...

Does a city paid gravel pusher get paid more or less than a privately paid gravel pusher?

I.e: what does the gravel pusher from Pennyfathing make, vs. Hos' hourly wage?

~justcurious-consideringacareermovetogravelpusher.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I am not in the gravel pushing department at the city, but from what I hear they are making 22 bucks an hour with the recent 3% pay increase. Guys pushing gravel for private company's these days can make any where from 20 to 30 bucks an hour depending on gravel pushing experience.

As for myself, I am in the Traffic department, which means I have to work at this crazy time of night, I kow which timmy ho's are open 24 hours a day, but I do make some double time for the effort, which puts me a little about your average gravel pusher.

Why doesn't everyone tell us how much they make an hour or year and we can compare a union wage to a private wage?

hos

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You make a fine point HOS, but you conveniently leave out several factors. For example:

~Private gravel pusher only works if there is gravel to push. Public gravel pusher works weather or not there is gravel to push. No gravel? That's ok- go dig a hole. Or not.

~Private gravel pusher has little to no benefit package. Certainly no pension to speak of. Public gravel pusher gets all the perks and benefits, including pension, of any city worker.

~Public gravel pusher feels entitled to a 4 day work week. Private gravel pusher works when there is work.

~Private gravel pusher is often pushing gravel in order to learn a higher trade on the jobsite. He may be brought into framing, or siding, for example. Typical public gravel pusher is happy to, well, just push gravel for the rest of his life. Or dig holes. Or not. Who cares, he has his wage, and he has his benefits package.

See HOS, one Gravel Pusher lives by the laws of supply and demand- the great correction factor in economy. He works hard, works fast, gets paid great money for his efforts, and risks being replaced if he doesn’t work efficiently, or his employer feels he is not worth his pay. The other screws up the natural economic law since he feels it is his right to be given an overpaying job, and it is his right to keep it, no matter how badly he does it, or weather he is required or not.

What the hell am I thinking? Sign me up...

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
~Private gravel pusher only works if there is gravel to push. Public gravel pusher works weather or not there is gravel to push. No gravel? That's ok- go dig a hole. Or not.

See HOS, one Gravel Pusher lives by the laws of supply and demand- the great correction factor in economy. He works hard, works fast, gets paid great money for his efforts, and risks being replaced if he doesn’t work efficiently, or his employer feels he is not worth his pay. The other screws up the natural economic law since he feels it is his right to be given an overpaying job, and it is his right to keep it, no matter how badly he does it, or weather he is required or not.

Dude if there is no work there is layoffs. If he/she doesn't work or dog fcks there is discipline (I will agree with you before you even say it some people do get away with stuff without any discipline). One of the biggest problems I have seen is the guys that get away with dog fcking are buddies of the managers who got them the jobs to begin with, who fink on other employess.

The GPS systems in all the city vehicles will deter alot of what has been going on in the past.

What does gravel pushing have to do with Vancouver fields shutting down?

SoccerPaper

Jul 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I predict that if the strike is not resolved by September, Vancouver teachers go out in solidarity (CUPE staff work in Vancouver schools)... if that happens, the strike will end a lot faster than you can imagine!

Hard to believe they've been striking for a month now!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no cut grass = field unplayable = no game in Vancouver:(

Strike over later = maybe cut grass = too long mulch = field still unplayable = no game in Vancouver:(

No game in Vancouver = hooped for soccer for now:(:(:mad:

Settle the %!#$%!$#!!!!! strike already... let's get the mediator in, send this to arbitration, and get it over with. There is no reason for any more finger pointing.

Trece

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sooo... since we are in delta... and are not affected by the strike... does that mean that we should expect a lot of home games for the beginning of the season???

are the rules of the vmsl that if the home team's pitch is not available, and the visitor's park is... that the game be played at the visitors field?

same can be said for Slurrey, Indo (richmond), etc...

anyone know where the league stands on this?

homegamesforever

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I am not in the gravel pushing department at the city, but from what I hear they are making 22 bucks an hour with the recent 3% pay increase. Guys pushing gravel for private company's these days can make any where from 20 to 30 bucks an hour depending on gravel pushing experience.

As for myself, I am in the Traffic department, which means I have to work at this crazy time of night, I kow which timmy ho's are open 24 hours a day, but I do make some double time for the effort, which puts me a little about your average gravel pusher.

Why doesn't everyone tell us how much they make an hour or year and we can compare a union wage to a private wage?

hos

I'll start..........with all the time coaching included.........I'm at about $18/hour.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sooo... since we are in delta... and are not affected by the strike... does that mean that we should expect a lot of home games for the beginning of the season???

are the rules of the vmsl that if the home team's pitch is not available, and the visitor's park is... that the game be played at the visitors field?

same can be said for Slurrey, Indo (richmond), etc...

anyone know where the league stands on this?

homegamesforever

Sounds good to me, Sixfyv. :) We should be getting a few extra Saturday night games at Minoru Turf at 6:00. :wa:

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, what are Vancouver teams doing for practice fields? Has anybody come up with any solutions?

Don't practice, apparently that's what my team has decided! :eek: Shite turnout last night again! I may have some turf time to sell in North Vancouver,if anyone is interested. :D I won't inflate the price too much!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How does a field like Point Grey Turf stack up in a situation like this? It is a school board field, but what about after dinner/school/weekend hours?

Yes, I know I should be aware considering my Westside affiliation, but I don't. Will turf fields like this be able to help alleviate the pressure (if there is any)?

coachrich

Nov 14, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Point Grey AT belongs to the Parks Board as they bought & exchanged land from Van School Board.

The school get the field up to 5pm then Youth clubs in the area get priority based on Parks Board policy. Same for the weekend. The 3 youth clubs also put up $400k to help w/ the building of Van Tech......good luck on that one being ready for this season.

Problem on lack of efficient fields is due to the politicans at City Hall & them not writing the checks to Parks Board to maintain existing grass fields & build AT's. You just can't maintain 125 grass fields on 500K a year & have the COV not listen to the VFSF who has asked from millions of dollars for 10,000soccer players plus 30,000 other field users to build AT's. COV needs 16 AT's just to handle soccer let alone other field user groups.

Besides the politicians at the Hall, the soccer community especially the youth districts have to pressure on the politicians like Suzanne Anton who comes from youth soccer community. The youth districts have been asked several times to do so & to write letters, protest & etc but they are weak kneed.

Now youth will struggle to have any games at all this season in Van on grass & it's a question the parents should be asking of their club & district officials.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts