Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Snow/Field Closures/Winter League?

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
All this sub zero weather and game cancellations bs has got me to thinking, why the fukc do we play in the winter? Why in the name of god is our main season in bs in the winter? Is there some obvious explanation here that this newfee cant see?

mary mother of god on earth heaven , who decided that winter would suit an outdoor soccer season better then summer?

why do we not play our main season through the favorable beautiful spring summer fall months??????

seriously?

i looked at the forecast and if this shite actually melts by the weekend, it's only goin to get replaced by a whole new elephant dump on sat.

this is all very retarded why its gone on so long like this...games being cancelled every fukcin weekend because of snow or " too much rain" wet fields closing.

So why is it that yr after yr we do this and not switch to a spring summer league????????

there wont be games for 2 weeks here ...at least....that will be us playin 1 of our last scheduled 7

I mean really.....there has to be an answer so right in front of me its just too close to see, and if so,

delete this thread........
or use it for snow and field updates...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have a thread for field closures...

But while I’m here… "we" play in the winter because of field allocations with baseball in the valley and the summer is also the best time to repair and maintain grass fields not the winter. Not to mention average Joe decides that summer is for vacations to Disneyland and not for 3 to 5 days a week of football. Adult amateur soccer is minuscule compared to the youth.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time to start thinking outside the box. This is stupid.

Men's leagues...fine...we can play winter.

Anything considered youth, needs to be moved to spring / fall. In Manitoba they play all spring, and through fall, w/ the summer months off to co-incide w/ school vacation. Time to start that here.

Besides the fact that we lose too many good athletes at young ages to hockey (because, it just makes more sense), we can do so much more development w/ the longer sunlight hours, and better fields. We could do away w/ playing in gyms for the mini ages.

Think about it...almost all the grass pitches are closed these days anyhow. All leagues have been reduced to turf. If you look at CAP, yes, the Mini fields would be sucked up by baseball, but there are other grass pitches that could be put into use that are currently closed every weekend.

It's so simple once you start to think about it. But, again, another great example of how BCSA, and CSA by extention, have it backwards.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time to start thinking outside the box. This is stupid.

Men's leagues...fine...we can play winter.

Anything considered youth, needs to be moved to spring / fall. In Manitoba they play all spring, and through fall, w/ the summer months off to co-incide w/ school vacation. Time to start that here.

example of how BCSA, and CSA by extention, have it backwards.

They play in the spring in Manitoba because they cannot play in the winter!
Winnipeg, Manitoba - Forecast - Environment Canada

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are the only fairweather city in Canada. The West coast is the only big centre I am aware of that plays in the season that mirrors most of Europes Season.

Summer Soccer would be a bear to pull off simply due to the way the Municipalities allocate fields.

I would support the change to March-October Season...Again, because the youth would no longer conflict with Hockey (Reason I could not play both sports as a kid) and fields closures.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This has been discussed before on this site with respect to the VMSL. Willy Azzi and others attempted to get the VMSL switched to a Spring/Summer league about 8-10 years ago.

They actually had a good plan in place, can't remember what order but as an example, they were going to switch the mens league first, then youth boys and girls the following year and the women the following year, or something along those lines.

Many meetings with BC Soccer and municipality reps produced absolutely zero as some municipalities were for it and some against it. Field alocation was the main factor if I recall.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what you are saying is that all the city union brothers are to blame because they won't get onside with the program.

Well done HOS.

:D

icon

Dec 21, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
the season should start in july to playoff in november the teams arent in playoff form with this format it is the same for each team but would be better some teams take time to get going this format could make a false sense who the best teams really are

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They play in the spring in Manitoba because they cannot play in the winter!
Winnipeg, Manitoba - Forecast - Environment Canada

Steve...dumb nuts...look outside. If you coach kids, try thinking about the last time they played a game. Including X-Mass break, we've had one field time since late November. Cancellations / X-Mass break related "no play" weekends all the rest. We already take the majority of December off anyways...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Dude.
This is not smart. We play Sept, Oct, Nov. 12 games or so. Then take 2 months off. Then play another 10 if your lucky. Its like 2 seasons. No flow, consistency.

With all these turf fields now primarily for soccer, I don't see how field allocation would be such an issue. I don't remember seeing games every weekend on these fields in the summer. Friday nights? Saturday nights?
Are they not free?

And a change like this could help Canadian Soccer in a great way. That one kid that had to choose Hockey over soccer in the winter, might not have too. Soccers talent pool would grow huge from this.

More kids would enjoy the sport. I know with my younger cousins, its hard for them to put down the x-box controller (with their new xmas game) to get ready for soccer on a rainy 3 degree night in January.

And as we take off 3-8 weeks for the winter break now, we can have the long weekends off throughout summer play. so there is a flow, just a few weekends with out games knowing people take off on vacations!
and those weekends could be used to repairing feilds etc...

fortheloveofthegame...winterorsummer
LION

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My kid is picking hockey over soccer next year, and I can't blame him.

Way more ice time than field time. They are on the ice 3-4 days a week, w/ soccer you're lucky with 2. As a parent, hockey has it all together. Development, as much competition as the kid can handle, and- shock- they don't discourage winning.

As a coach, I'm frustrated that the best we can offer our players is one freaking night a week in a lousy gym. Next year they'll graduate to gravel. We can do so much better, but I also notice that w/ soccer, mediocrity is inbred. The parents sort of expect it to suck, where hockey parents expect excellence for the money they spend.

juventino26

May 28, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was thinking why not make all our turf fields or atleast the future turf fields heated, but like everything else theres 2 sides of it yes less games will be canceled and we wouldn't have to change the schedule but it would cost more money. Dont get me wrong I would be all for changing the schedule around but heated turf fields would not be a bad idea.

juventino26

May 28, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard the turf field at heritage park high school was heated, cant remember where I heard it from but is it true or no?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heated fields wouldn't matter as the various municipalities would invariably make the systems shut off 3 hours before any snowfall were to occur every time :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts