Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should all sporting events be canceled?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was wondering how many of you believe in terminating sporting events this weekend. Apparently, the NFL is going to make a decision tomorrow and the NCAA couldn't come to an agreement, as a couple of conferences shut down their schedules with the rest of the teams/conferences playing. Personally, I think they should play as long as the appropriate respect is paid before each game. If they don't play this Saturday/Sunday, what would make it any better or appropriate the following weekend?

Captain

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think part of the problem right now is the logistics of travel... how is anyone supposed to get around with the state the airports are gonna be in for the next week or so?

I read somewhere that some minor league baseball playoffs have been cancelled and they've just gone ahead and declared champions.

~TB.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Burnsie,

I feel it would be appropriate for American leagues to have a weekend off while their compatriots try and come to terms with what has gone on in the past few days. What I don't agree with is UEFA cancelling Champion's League fixtures. Despite the enormity of the tragedy, life must go on, particularly in countries not directly affected by the terrorism. Normalcy should be encouraged otherwise those responsible, for all intents and purposes, have 'won'. At the end of the day, as callous as it is, it was America that was targeted and America on it's own. All this bluster about how freedom and democracy are under attack is verging on hysteria as America tries to establish who they can rely on as allies and other countries, who are traditionally enemies of the USofA, try to get into America's good books by declaring their outrage. There are a lot of countries lookng for a proverbial pat on the head from the world's final remaining superpower, Britain included.

My cynical nature makes me believe that potentially dangerous air travel more than respect for the dead was perhaps behind UEFA's move. A plane load of multi-million pound footballers travelling from Athens back to Manchester would make a tasty little target for those of psychopathic inclination.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In regards to UEFA cancelling ALL European Cup ties, I'm on the fence. But UEFA looked a right arse by playing Tuesday nights fixtures and then postponing the following two nights of matches. Stumbling, bumbling tosspots running the show. I think the board is predominantly German and used an "either, or" poll to come to a decision.

Moreover, Rangers are to play a UEFA fixture in war-torn Dagestan, where a bomb, the third in a week, went off next to Rangers' proposed lodgings. Rangers have requested that the venue be changed to Moscow, but UEFA has declared the area safe. WTF?

Now if cancelling the remaining European Cup matches is out of respect for victims of these tragic events, why the Christ wouldn't they try to prevent further slaughter. I know this may sound a little dramatic, but really, why send a football team into a situation like that? Rangers FC has decided not to go and will not only be out of the UEFA Cup, but subject to further penalty by the governing body. Bollocks.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangers are right to refuse to go there.

I wouldn't want to see any of them kidnapped, especially not Ricksen or Konterman.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am of the opinion that there should be a little time for reflection. Playing sports is not the be all end all. Everyone has been effected in some manner by the events of tuesday September 11.

The games will be there next week and they will mean just as much. Delaying the games gives evryone a chance to take a deep breath and get set to restart our lifes'.

They will be digging in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania for weeks trying to find answers to questions.

5BT is for Cancelling the Sports Events this weekend...

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Play on. And here's why...

People have to be aloud to grieve in any manner they deem fit. Common human instinct when in times of grief is to come together. We have wakes, services, memorials. For some reason when people grieve there is a tendency for a need to share it. Somehow it shares the pain. In truth it really doesn't matter how or where people come together, just as long as they do.

Personally I believe that by continuing to play you will allow hundreds of thousnds of people to come together and pay their respects. Silence before the event followed by the forum to exprees and share with others whilst at the game would help many.

Bill Shankly once said that a football ground is a place of worship. Its the church of the common man. Personally, I think allowing fans and players alike to participate in a sporting event will give many an avenue to show respect and grief in place of comfort....

Will any of the VMSL teams be paying their respect this weekend. I'd like to think so.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets all reflect

Gaffa

All the games in the North Shore Coaches League took a minutes silence before each game to reflect on World Events. Our Ref said " Lets pause for a moment as a mark of respect on those families and victims effected by this tragedy and to reflect on our situation in Canada how we take for granted playing our Sunday Football, living our lives and our problems not being that significant at a time like this"

respect...

hedKandi

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peg/Sapperton match

There was a minute of silence before our match yesterday as well... any other VMSL games do the same thing?

~TB.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 mins for us...

Joe Branco reffed us and we too observed 3 minutes of silence before the game. Not sure if any one else noticed it but a car actually pulled up on 10th and a fella got out and stood still next to his car. As Joe blew the whistle to resume and start the game he got back in the motor and drove off....

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts