Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shareef on the move again

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the Hawks move Reef to the Blazers for Wallace... I can't for a minute think of one reason why!?!?!?

Salary dump? They both command large paycheques.

Character? Not even worth discussing...

I just don't get it.

~Regs.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wallace's contract is up at the end of the year and Atlanta are going to have big cap room to go after Kobe, who is a free agent at the end of the year.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For everything Shareef lacks on the court, he is clean-nosed, good in the community and conducts himself with class. He doesn't berate game officials, doesn't get picked up for DUIs and possession, is a devout Muslim and says very little. The reshaping of the "Jailblazers" is almost as important as keeping their playoff appearance streak alive. Some would say more so.

This is arguably the best fit Shareef has ever had in his NBA career. Unlike Vancouver and Atlanta, he won't be the #1 option or forced to be a leader, as he is clearly incapable of handling either role. He can slide into a deep Portland rotation, a team which is closer to the playoffs than 'Reef has ever been. He'll put up almost identical numbers to the ones Portland lost with Wallace, and he won't give them any of the headaches or legal issues.

Shareef will always be seen as a flawed player by Vancouverites who remember his time here, but keep this in mind - he was a good player who was incorrectly identified by management as a franchise player. For all the flaws he had, 'Reef worked hard to be Vancouver's marquee player. He just wasn't capable of being that. The three draft picks that were wasted on Bryant Reeves, Steve Francis and Antonio Daniels could have provided at least one very talented player - who Shareef would have been an excellent wingman beside.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are spot on on everything you said Sensei. I think this is a great trade for both Abdur-Rahim and especially for the Blazers. Abdur-Rahim might not be the leader that everybody wants him to be but he is still putting up good numbers. He consistently averages a double double which most teams would love to have. This won't help the Blazers go any further in the Wild Western Conferance playoffs this year but it is a step in the right direction.

Parkhead

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ParkHead said:
You are spot on on everything you said Sensei. I think this is a great trade for both Abdur-Rahim and especially for the Blazers. Abdur-Rahim might not be the leader that everybody wants him to be but he is still putting up good numbers. He consistently averages a double double which most teams would love to have. This won't help the Blazers go any further in the Wild Western Conferance playoffs this year but it is a step in the right direction.

Parkhead

Sorry, Bigyun, I couldn't disagree more. Rahim puts up double-doubles for teams who NEVER have a winning record. He scores the majority of his points when the game is out of reach and it means nothing. See Grizzlies. See Hawks. He is mince and is quite possibly the most predictable player in the league. How many games has he won with the ball in his hand for the last shot. I know I can count them in one hand. That's not saying much for a 'go to' guy who can't score in the clutch. Yes, he is mince. :)

Captain

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0