Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sept 11. One year later...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They're saying it's the event that changed the world. Did it? Other than the hang over it cause immediately following, did it effect Canada in a major way? Personally I felt no direct effect. Don't get me wrong, I was sick to my stomach watching the footage on the news and such, but how much has changed around here?

Any thoughts?

Striking up conversation.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knvb, there are lots of subtle changes in all our lives.

The one that sticks with me most, is what goes through my head every time an airplane flies over. I imagine we all think the same way. Any other changes?

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
THE WORLD!

What they mean is America.

Everytime The USA says the World, they mean themselvs.

I think john cleese(Sp?) said it best when he said:

"....if you are going to declare a World Champion...maybe you should invite other countries?"

ie New England Patriots WORLD CHAMPS

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
well said......

Well said, Zaurinni. As callous as this sounds, if we're to 'always remember' 9-11-01, shouldn't we be allowed to have some time to forget?

GhostRider

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nothing changes

Personally, I belive this post 9/11 world continues to be consumed by eating, sleeping, shitting and fcuking much like the pre 9/11 world - which also happens to be the post WWII world and you can expect much of the same in a post WWIII world - which might have or might have not already happened.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
911 Changes

Check the value of your RRSPs as these have been hugely effected by 911 and the overall dampening effect on the Canadian and world economy of that event. Moving goods across the border slowed big time and trade with a lot of non-involved countries went down the toilet for a considerable period of time. Not to mention goods between Canada and the US moved at a crawl for months.

A friend of mine shipping relatively small quantities of coffee from Costa Rica to Vancouver had his air carrier stop shipping his coffee and now it has to come via ship. There are a lot of stories like that where small business people were hooped for months after the event and saw sales fall and their staff needs reduced.

The only businesses to benefit are the bomb makers who are back in business with the threat of more bombs dropping on Iraq.

I agree with others comments here including the Fastshow comment as at times the media coverage is a bit over the top.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tomorrow especially will I think be a little over the top. It will be interesting to see how many pages the local papers spend on coverage.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw an ad on one of the American channels telling of their Sept. 11 coverage and how great it would be. I thought of how certain events, at the time they happened (Pearl Harbour - a day that will live in infamy) were so shocking but now seem so distant. I was wondering if with the media we have today if Sept. 11 will ever be like that. It's obviously tough to tell because, as Fasty says, we haven't had the opportunity to forget. I'm not sure if we ever will.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even more of an Excuse for BIG BROTHER to be Watching

We must have camera's on us 24-7 or else terrorist activities could take place, and we would not know.

Give me a break.

We must stop the BIG BROTHER Syndrome that took off after the 9/11 tragedy.

HOSiswatching

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over the top? No kidding.

I was a sympathetic and shocked as anyone on September 11th, but it is certainly getting more than its share of attention because it happened in the US of A.

The US Federal Government’s “September 11th Victim Compensation Fund” is getting some attention right now. This fund was set up by the US Feds to compensate the families of the victims. They are expecting to spend between $4-$6 billion on settling things as quickly as they can. Basically, a value is put on each person’s life, and the mediator then subtracts any life insurance payouts that that family has coming to them, and comes up with a net settlement offer. The estimate is that the average family will be offered $2,235,997.00 USD before subtracting any life insurance or other regular benefits associated with death payouts. This figure is based on a 25 year old man earning $50K USD / year, and with one child.

I saw a father (`50 years old) complaining on one of the talk shows last night that the fact that the mediator is subtracting any life insurance & other benefits from the gross settlement offer is unfair. He used MUCH stronger language. My question is, what is unfair? The average family will probably net out an extra million dollars, on top of their regular life insurance and other payouts (pensions, etc…). How is that unfair? Most people here on TTP have likely lost a family member to an untimely death (either murder, catastrophe, or an accident not of their own fault). What makes the events of September 11th any different, that a gross settlement offer of about $2 million is unfair?

Yeah, a little over the top for me now. I have sympathy for families who’ve lost loved ones, but the country as a whole is treating this as if September 11th is the worst disaster the world has ever known.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More on topic…

I re-read the earlier posts. Changes I’ve noticed:

· Security up the ying-yang in airports and at the border. Longer line-ups, but I get hassled a lot less often for coming over to minor business stuff. Seems they are more lenient, because they are focused on profiling and checking out people for bigger offenses than me trying to sneak some documents into Blaine so I can save courier costs.
· I look up too when I see planes. I get jittery on a plane when I hear noises that are “not normal”.
· The US economy took a huge hit, which spilled over the border. BC simply stayed in recession another year longer. Speaking with fellow reps for my major principle (we all met over the weekend), and seems that most people were down 30%. I was too. Our principle was down 32% over the previous fiscal year. You could tell- the meeting sucked!
· If you didn’t lose money on your portfolio, it was a fcuking miracle. I lost. My wife didn’t, because she’s ultra conservative. Bitch.
· Fat Monkey shaved his moustache.
· Some of Fastshow's posts make sense.;)

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about Sept 13th?

Close call.
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 20-mile stretch of "Alligator Alley," south Florida's primary cross-state connector, has been closed Friday while bomb squad investigators search two cars and authorities detain three suspects who authorities believe may have been plotting a terror attack in Miami.

Florida law enforcement authorities issued an alert Thursday night after receiving a report that a woman in a Calhoun, Georgia, restaurant overheard three men discussing explosives and saying that Americans would "cry on 9/13," a law enforcement official told CNN. The men left the restaurant in two vehicles and headed south on I-75.

A Collier County sheriff's deputy pulled over one of the cars around 1 a.m. after it drove through a toll plaza -- about eight miles east of the western toll booth, near Naples -- without paying. A second car stopped at the scene, Collier County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Tina Osceola said.

The officer called for backup when he found that the license plate numbers matched the description in the alert, according to according to E.J. Picolo of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Authorities said the suspects did not consent to the search, but a bomb-sniffing dog responded to both cars.

Bomb squad investigators saw wires sticking out of a package in one of the cars, and used a water cannon to blow it apart, an official said. The package turned out to be medical equipment.

No explosives have been found in the vehicles, so far, according to E.J. Picolo of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Another official told CNN that the search was only about 25 percent completed. (Map)

Federal and state law enforcement agencies have descended on the scene. In addition to the Collier County Sheriff's Department, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the Florida Highway Patrol, the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms have joined the investigation.

Authorities have set up makeshift command post on the highway and investigators in protective suits could be seen walking back and forth between the two cars. A robot from Miami-Dade County police was also brought in to help with the search.

The three suspects are in custody, but have not been charged, Picolo said.

An FBI source told CNN that agents out of the Tampa field office are questioning them and that their IDs were being run through various intelligence data bases.

The FAA has issued flight restrictions around the site to keep aircraft out of the area, but news helicopters have been able to fly overhead.

Alligator Alley is a major cross-Florida highway that runs between Naples on the west to near Fort Lauderdale on the east, which is about 27 miles north of Miami.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts