Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Senior Nationals 2002

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The national championships begin this week, Oct 10 I believe.

BC reps are:

Men - Victoria Gorge
Women - Burnaby Canadians

Official website:

http://www.2002nationals.com

First of all, good luck to our BC reps and as much as it pains me to say this, I really hope Gorge can bring back the gold to where it belongs :D

Now, WTF is up with the format this year? 4 groups? 2 games and then straight to the semis? Who thought this alignment up, the VMSL?

Granted, it was a gruelling schedule in past years but this is ridiculous... 2 groups have only 2 teams in them [at least for the men] :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That does seem a bit nuts, but then how else could it be done without the grueling schedule? They could've done two groups of four, but then that would've left a lone group of three. Would that be better than 3-3-2-2? Possibly, but then you'd need a wild card team from either of the group-of-4's to fill the last semi-final spot.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Then "drop" a team... 3 groups of 3 would work I think.

Have the maritime provinces have a pre-tourney elimination round as historically they have had some of the weakest teams. Because of the close proximity of these provinces, economically, it should not be a problem.

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I considered that as well. I thought of suggesting the 9th and 10th seed compete for the final spot. Unfortunately, I can't see a national championship tournament actively excluding participation from willing provinces.

But would it really be a question of exclusion? A matter of splitting hairs, I think. 3 of 3 would be fine, but you'd still have to pick a wildcard team -- so in the end, why not just include all 10 provinces?

Havingbetterthingstothinkaboutnow

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Canadians and Nationals

The Burnaby Canadians have left the building... well the ground anyhow!:) Their plane left at 8:15 this morning. I'll be catching up with them this weekend.

Now, WTF is up with the format this year? 4 groups? 2 games and then straight to the semis? Who thought this alignment up, the VMSL?

From what we've heard, the reason for this convoluded mess of a schedule (which is in effect at all nationals this year) was so that the tournament could be cut down by one day and save the teams some money.

The CSA (and the BCSA to some extent) seem overly concerned about saving teams money. Thus they deem it necessary to sacrifice the competitive integrity of the tourney so that each team can save one night of hotel costs.:(

Actually, in another bid to save us money the CSA (or BCSA?) had us originally scheduled to fly out Wednesday, which would have had us arrive in St.John's on Wednesday at 11:30pm, less than 12 hours before our first game 10:00am Thursday! Thank god we caught this and had them change it. The comp committee has had to reschedule the intro meeting for Thurs AM because most teams are flying in Wed nite.

It tells you about the prevailing attitude towards striving for mediocrity in the country when team/provinces will sacrifice their chance at winning, not to mention their players' welfare, for the sake of saving a few hundred bucks.

Anyhow, I'll keep you all updated as best I can.

FBpissedatbrotherforhavingfcukingweddingonturkeyday:mad:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Things that make you say hmmm...

Including last year and this year, here is the published four year schedule for senior nationals...

2001 Etobicoke-Vaughan, Ontario (Toronto)
2002 St.John's, Newfoundland
2003 Quebec City, Quebec
2004 Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Anyone else think there's an eastern bias with the CSA?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
What happened to the east/west hosting schedule?

I bet if Paul Martin was in power, this would have never happened :rolleyes:

Kyoto forever,

~Regs.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
East - West

What happened to the east/west hosting schedule?

What do you mean? It does go east-west...

West ... Toronto
East ... St.John's
West ... Quebec
East ... Charlottetown

As they say, if you can't see it from the top of the CN Tower, it doesn't exist!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Results

Burnaby Canadians - 7
Prince Edward Island - 0

Burnaby Goals Scorers: Robyn Scott (27,57); Phebe Trotman (68,89); Paige Pratt (23); Kristine Jack (29); Kelty Linnen (82).

Keepers: Burnaby - Claire Lawrence; PEI - Leslie Bradshaw.

Shots: Burnaby - 9; PEI - 3.

Corners: Burnaby - 3; PEI - 2.

Men play tonight at approx. 7:00pm (Newfietime).

FBwishinghewasthere:(

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to the birds for starting off on the right foot.

Men play tonight at approx. 7:00pm (Newfietime).
Isn't that, like, right now?

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Canadians - 7
Prince Edward Island - 0
So what you're sayin' is that PEI would fit right into the MWSL Premier Division?

Good start and I hope they continue to destroy the rest of Canada.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Women

10/10/02
Ontario - 2 Manitoba - 0

Game Notes:
Goal Scorers for Ontario: Diana Matheson at 52 minutes; Amanda DiCarlo at 80 minutes.
Keepers: Carly Argo for Ontario. Tara Evans for Manitoba.
Shots on Goal: 22 for Ontario; 4 for Manitoba.
Corner Kicks: 9 for Ontario; 4 for Manitoba.
Referee: Ian Fradsham.
Either Manitoba has one hell of a keeper or Ontario can put anything behind their shots.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Results, with some New Faces

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
Burnaby Canadians - 7
Prince Edward Island - 0

Burnaby Goals Scorers: Kelty Linnen (82).

Keepers: Burnaby - Claire Lawrence
FBwishinghewasthere:(

FBmustmissHOSmorethanTRIP

This must be the back-up keeper, is Gadmens on the trip, and is she going to play the rest of the way?

Who is this Claire Lawrence, is she a youth player brought along for the trip?

I see no Nadia goals, is she healthy and is she on the trip?

Saint
Did the Rock'n Ronny make it back for nationals, I did'nt think she was going, but I am out of the loop?

HOS

GoGirlsGo or GoGo's

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not going too well?

Newfoundland 1-0 Victoria Gorge
Kelly (6th minutes)

Shots on Goal: 8 by Newfoundland and Labrador - 10 by British Columbia.
Corner Kicks: 5 by Newfoundland and Labrador - 12 by British Columbia.
Referee: Tiger Liu

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Answering HOS's questions

This must be the back-up keeper, is Gadmens on the trip, and is she going to play the rest of the way?
Michele is on the trip and will likely go the rest of the way. Claire is our second keeper. She was with UBC last year and the first part of this year before trading in her seat on the bench for a chance to play some minutes with us.

I see no Nadia goals, is she healthy and is she on the trip?
Nadia is on the trip too. She'll make the scoresheet before the week is out.

Did the Rock'n Ronny make it back for nationals
No Ronnie. And no Gill. That hurts. They're irreplacable but the new backline is still pretty good.

FBmustmissHOSmorethanTRIP
Hospitality suite just won't be the same... but I'll make the best of it in your absence. Trust me.:D

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gorge vs. Nfld.

It may say that nfld. had some shots, but we had most of the play in their end. They got an early goal and had a few chances throughout the game, but to be honest we definitely had the majority of the possession.
Not to be a bad sport about any referrees, but we did have a player beat the goalie and go in solo on goal only to be taken down by the goalie. Now, I believe this is a textbook red, however, somehow, there was no card given. If a foul is called here, then it has to be a red, otherwise, no call.
In any case, the bounces did not go our way - they cleared two off the line. I know we've had our luck in the past, so maybe ours ran out tonight. However, it still sucks losing to a team that really thinks they were better than you (when they are not).
It was still fun trying to decipher what the fans (approx 5000) were yelling at us throughout the game - damn they are hard to understand.
We have to hope that Quebec beats Nfld tomorrow to give us a chance to win the pool.

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Women

As for the Burnaby team - if people did not know - due to a roster glich, meaning a player was not on the official "game list" that actaually played (and scored), Burnaby has to forfeit their win and give PEI their first ever victory in a national championship.

They appealed, yet it was turned down. Burnaby really got screwed over on this one, as PEI did not protest, rather it was Sasketchewan (other team in their pool) that made the protest.

Therefore, Burnaby lost 1-0. Truth! They have a legitimite reason to be very bitter.

Both BC teams play on Saturday.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts