Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Senior Nationals 2002

bcsoccergirl

Oct 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BURNABY CANADIANS RIPPED OFF

If it was something as simple as not adding a players name who is eligible, then losing the game later, that is crap.

IN REPLY TO THIS COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT IS SO TRUE AND THIS IS UNFAIR! WHY DO PEOPLE NOT WANT TO SEE US PLAY! GIVE US THE CHANCE!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Update

A meeting tonight between Danny Pietramala (burnaby head coach), Laurel Pokoyski (BCSA prez and rep); Angus Barrett (CSA VP competitions) and Jim Nicholson (Sask prez and tournament director - and the man behind this mess) appears to have turned up nothing.

It appears that this meeting was at the request of Andy Sharpe, CSA president, who has to be concerned about the perception the showcase amateur tourney will now be subject to.

According to the BC/Burnaby reps, the CSA is claiming that the tournament director (in this case the SK prez) has the authority to rule on any matter not covered in the official rules. (If I have this wrong, someone can correct me.) Eventhough in this case the director's own province stood to gain from the decision - although they buggered it up - and PEI didn't file a protest.

We now must wait until tomorrow (Saturday) to see if the CSA will finally do what is right. Danny pleaded his case one more time tonight. But we have tremendous doubt this will happen. In the meantime, Burnaby will attempt to exact some revenge on Mr.Nicholson's home team, a side that from all accounts couldn't compete in the MWSL 2nd division - once again proving that the hardest part about winning nationals, other than surviving the politics, is getting out of BC.

When Burnaby comes home, all options will be considered. The CSA has told us to appeal at the competitions meeting in November, but what good will that do.

The integrity of the tournament is lost. There is rumours that Ontario may have played to lose against Alberta so that they would draw PEI in the semis. BC stands to have the best goals-for and against, and possibly the best record, by the end, and could conceivably not surrender a goal, and at best finish 5th.

The tournament committee have taken the game away from the pitch and determined the outcome in the boardroom. Shame on you! What happened to the fair play you always preach about?

I'll be leaving tomorrow evening to join the team Sunday. (This ticket is paid for.) Whatever happens, the team is champions in my mind, and I am sure other people's too.

I wish I was there to support you guys and fight it out with you.

Quebec and the Newfies tied, which I think means the men are out of the medals. What a crappy week.:mad: :(

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sucks to be in that positon...

Sorry to hear, but BC (women and men's teams) are quality. I guess it just isn't our year:(

Thanks for the updates and details
+SCandT-boneagain,drinkingattheinternetcafe

Jinks, you fricken crack me up man :D

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Today we played saskatchewan in the first game of a 2-game total goals wins something like 7th-10th place? Yes, we play them tomorrow again - sound silly? At 8:30am - even sillier. Both teams agreed to play one game instead of 2 (lets be honest, does it really matter at this point?), however, the CSA people did not agree to this.

How about the game today?
Well, after we went down to 8 men (yes 3 reds - 2 deserved, and one which left the other team and fans even laughing and wondering how the man in black came up with the call), we still managed to tie up the game 2-2.
They did score 2 more, leaving the final at 4-2. However, we get to play one more time! Fun!

While we had a stinker and were disliked by the referees, the women did well, yet were disliked by the CSA. They were screwed, and that is unlucky.

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
St. John's.

On a lighter note - I have to recommend St. John's as a stopover for anyone. The people here are great. It is no exaggeration that they can talk to you and you will not understand any of their "newfanese". However, they do enjoy the drink and are very welcome to all visitors. Let's be honest, they have an entire street that has only bars and pubs. One warning, if you do not like the group great big sea, then you have to plug your ears
24-7, as you cannot escape that music.
And a warning to all - let us hope that screech never makes it to the west coast.:cool:

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
10th equals last!

Gorge has finished a very strong 10th place this year at nationals.
This is LAST FRICKING PLACE,tell me this is not true.If this is our
best,maybe it's time we take some pride in what we do!
(time to get stronger and compete like we should.)

only stating the facts,coach.:confused:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Update on the BC women

The Burnaby Canadians returned last night, arriving at YVR with their hearts sunk low but their chins held high. We came to this tournament with the goal to win our first two games and clinch a semi-final spot. We did that: 7-0 vs. PEI and 9-1 vs. SASK. No other team was as dominant in their group play. Of course, as you all know, the CSA decided to intervene.

The BC women were the class of this tournament. Spectators, local officials and other provinces were all unanimous in that take on the Burnaby side.

The Alberta team, who lost to Ontario 2-1 in the final, were thoroughly disappointed to not get the chance to play BC, because they said that it would taint any gold medal to not have to play our team to win it - or at least the team that knocked us out legitimately.

Also, it was weird when people found out who we were. Someone would ask us which team we were, and when they found out there was a certain level of awkward sympathy: "Oh... I am so sorry for you."

Aside from the stinker against Manitoba, which has a lot to do with the demoralizing rejection of our last ditch appeal less that 12 hours before, the Canadians played like Champs.

Obviously, we're pissed off. We are not going to let this die. First of all, we owe it to our players, because they did what we asked them to do, and played the game like defending champs should. And second, the CSA has made it out like we cheated. As has been made very clear on this site, this was not the case. And we are certainly not going to allow the CSA take a simple clerical error, make up some "unwritten rules" and tarnish our reputation as a class organization - something we strive for as much as on-field success.

This will not be the end. We are about the become someone's worst nightmare.

One further note, the people of NFLD have got to be the nicest people on this planet. They are so hospitable it's amazing. Yes, they speak another language, and any Newfie over 50 denies that he is Canadian, but they'd give the shirt off their back even if you were the strangest of strangers. They put on a great tournament, only to have the CSA bureaucrates ruin it.

FBwouldliketothankJIMMYforour7thplacefinish

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round-Trip Airfares to St.John's.......$20,000
7-Nights Hotel Accomodations.........$9,500
Minvan Rentals for One Week..........$1,300
Getting screwed by the CSA.............PRICELESS

Interesting Stat:
BC's GF was 24 - tourney best, by wide margin
BC's GA was 4 - only NS was better with 3
BC's +- was 20 - again far and away the best

I know stats are for losers... but it paints a picture.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB,

I find it interesting to note that Paige is listed on the Canadians roster page at the official 2002 national championships site :rolleyes:

Here's a question: How many Canadians are involved with the national team program?

~Regs.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just supllied some tickets

FB

FBwouldliketothankJIMMYforour7thplacefinish

I just printed up some of the remaining tickets needed for some parents an friends of the girls....Please don't put the blame on me.;)

On a seriuos note,That Jim Nicholson guy is a first class jack ass!

Obviously he got embarassed on the field and now is embarassing himself off..........

And the CSA can just go fcuk themselves:mad:

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Booo CSA

With the time, effort, money etc... involved in getting to the nationals, there is no question that you should pursue this protest - so what happens now? What can actually come from this?
There is no way you guys will ever get what you deserve (or that CSA dude for that measure), but I hope the team is vindicated in some way.
Good luck

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's a question: How many Canadians are involved with the national team program?
Just one. Amber Allen is part of the pool. I am not sure that's an issue. At least I sure as hell hope not.

Yes, Paige was on our roster from the get go. She just got left off the game sheet that first game. Stupid, I know. But reason enough to take a top team out of contention.

We will pursue this. We'll do it through the CSA appeals avenue, the press, and if possible and necessary the courts. Not sure what we want, but some sort of justice. They kept preaching to us about "fair play" ... we just want some of that.

Will keep everyone up to date as things go on.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Teacher = Peg/Olys

Teacher,

Sorry to hear about the results in the Maritimes. However, on to bigger and better things. Now that you have finished your career with Gorge, time to come over and slide on the top quality kit supplied by Peg/Olys. We even have a number reserved for you. Why were you not at training tonight????????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ging, Toze and myself are still sitting waiting for you to buy the next round.

JR:wa:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB,

Do you a CSA Constitution? Having dealt with the BCSA on an appeal issue they won't even consider it unless it is based on some part of the constitution. If you can't find anything in there to base it on, you're probably wasting your time.

Sympathetic, Peter

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
unrestricted

JAGS
Not really sure what I am going to do with soccer - haven't really given it much thought yet. I'd like to keep playing, just not sure where yet. A few teams have inquired - people know my ability to kick far (which is important).

I can always fall back on frisbee golf if all else fails.
:D

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Deano Open

Teach,

I did not know that you could 'kick far'. You must have been holding back during our scrimmages ...... come to think of it, it is not often you have to kick far when you have 3 v. 3.

Sorry you missed it, but the weather has been so good since you were on The Rock, that Ging, Toze and myself held the first annual Deano Frisbee Golf Open. 3 rounds on your favorite course - Boulevard. Ging wanted to hold it on Saltspring, but felt we needed the Saltspring Pro in attendance to give us tips on how to play the course. I can't believe the prizes that were handed out. ;)

JR

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about PAST Record

Originally posted by Fat Bastard

Yes, Paige was on our roster from the get go. She just got left off the game sheet that first game. Stupid, I know. But reason enough to take a top team out of contention.

We will pursue this. We'll do it through the CSA appeals avenue, the press, and if possible and necessary the courts. Not sure what we want, but some sort of justice. They kept preaching to us about "fair play" ... we just want some of that.

Will keep everyone up to date as things go on.

Good Luck FB, on the appeal, I think that the team and club should pursue this matter.

I have heard the the team did lose 3 points from the first game of the season for playing players that were not eligable to play yet. I know the the MWSL has some silly rules for signing players, like the VMSL also has.

What if this comes up with the CSA, and the fact that the team had a problem just a month earlier with illegal players.

What did happen from the first game?

HOS

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
a bitter end

Thought I'd reply...

Despite our efforts nothing ever came of this. To our knowledge, BCSA has not pursued the matter at the CSA level. We were dissuaded from legal action by lawyers who said the cost-benefit analysis was not favourable.

We even tried to go through the press, but only one writer (Vic D.) took up the cause with any zeal. One local daily took our side of the story to the CSA, but dropped it when Kevin Pipe told him it was a dead issue. The other local daily told us a story was coming after doing an interview with us. That was some months back, and there has been no story. The only local soccer news is Possee's weekly column on whatever. (That's quality reporting ... that's like letting the Canucks write their own stories!)

So, needless to say the political machine that is the CSA has chewed us up and spat us out. It's left a bitter taste for sure. Frankly, if we win BC again, I as an individual will have to give serious thought as to whether another trip back east (Quebec City) is really worth the countless hours of fundraising and preparation.

FYI... Jim Nicholson, the Sask. soccer prez who screwed us six ways from Wednesday, continues to enjoy the perks of being a CSA crony. In December he joined the CSA U17 mens team as head of delegation for a trip to Mexico. That's a good reward for buggering up the nation's top soccer competition.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0