Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2002/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RICKSEN `TURNED AIR BLUE' WHEN COPS LIFTED HIM

Calum Macdonald
Daily Record

RANGERS star Fernando Ricksen hurled abuse at policemen after he was caught drink-driving, a court heard yesterday.

The 25-year-old Dutch midfielder was handcuffed after allegedly calling the officers "f****** b********" when he was arrested in his home.

Ricksen appeared at Paisley Sheriff Court charged with driving while almost twice the legal limit on Christmas Day 2000.

He was also accused of driving without due care and attention and colliding with a lamp post.

A third charge alleges he breached the peace by shouting and swearing at police officers.

Ricksen denies all the charges, but the trial was halted yesterday after a prosecution witness failed to turn up.

Sergeant George Gilpin should have been in court, but was on holiday in Majorca.

The court heard how Gilpin and Acting Sergeant James McAndrew turned up at Ricksen's home in plush Newton Mearns, near Glasgow, after a neighbour reported a suspected car accident.

They found tyre marks in the snow which led from an apparent crash scene to Ricksen's front door. McAndrew said the outburst came after a clash with Ricksen's wife, Graciella.

He added: "His wife asked me why we were there.

"She walked past, spoke to Mr Ricksen in Dutch and slammed the door on me. I immediately opened the door and told her he was in my control and custody. Mr Ricksen swore at me when we warned her about her conduct.

"He seemed to become agitated and called us `f****** b*******'.

"He came over and, with his face in front of mine, called us `p*****'. That was when he was handcuffed." McAndrew said the lamp post was dented and a door of Ricksen's car was damaged.

The sergeant claimed the engine was still warm.

Sheriff Bill Dunlop rejected a bid by Jim Pea****, defending, to have McAndrew's evidence about what happened inside the house ruled inadmissible because, he claimed, the star struggled to understand the cops.

McAndrew denied under cross-examination that Ricksen could not understand what was said.

He said everything had been spelled out "in layman's language" and Ricksen did not ask for an interpreter until he was taken to Govan police station to be breathalysed.

The Sheriff gave depute fiscal Keiran Dean one week to sort out his case when he discovered Gilpin was not in court. A date for the trial to continue will be set then.

The bold Fernando strikes again.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the BBC,

Celtic Slash Losses And Debts

Celtic slashed their pre-tax losses from £11.2m to £3m in a year when the football club retained the Scottish Premier League title.
But the Glasgow outfit will continue to explore structural changes within the game - such as the proposed North Atlantic Cup - to further improve their finances.

The Scottish champions nearly halved their year-end debt for the 12 months until 30 June to £16.5m compared to £29.6m in 2001 and still managed to retain the title under Martin O'Neill.

And financial analysts have told BBC Scotland that Celtic have every right to be proud of their latest figures, being one of the few clubs to be running at under the 60% wages-to-turnover threshold seen as being required for financial health.

Almost £15m was spent on new players last season, but this was offset by an increase in turnover of 35.4% - from £42m in to £56.9m last season - thanks in part to their participation in the Champions League.

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn admitted that the possibility of joining the English Nationwide League, along with Rangers, had been investigated.

"I believe the factors which prompted us to explore such possibilities will not disappear and we will continue to be receptive to structural change, while maintaining our stance of not abandoning Scottish football," he said.

"How these objectives are reconciled is, of course, a challenge. We believe it can be done, with goodwill on all sides."

Rangers however are a different story altogether.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Classic Scottish Piss-take

Rangers fans got the shock of their lives when they opened the official club magazine to find a pull-out poster of arch-rivals Celtic.

The glaring error came in this month's edition of Rangers News, which had promised a booklet containing their fixtures for the new season. Instead the pull-out featured a special section dedicated to Celtic's matches.

"I discovered that I was reading pages from the Celtic View - pages nine to 56 to be precise", said Rangers fan Kenny Knotts.

Rangers fan Kenny Knotts was one of those left feeling green. The 42-year-old season ticket holder admitted: "I now know more about Celtic's games this season than I do Rangers."

He told the Evening Times newspaper: "My wife Josie got me a Rangers News from the supporters shop in Sauchiehall Street.

"She knew I was after the fixture list. But halfway through the magazine, I discovered that I was reading pages from the Celtic View publication - pages nine to 56 to be precise.

"To make matters worse, there was no fixtures list for Rangers. The poster was for the Celtic games." Stapling Kenny, a baker from Toryglen, Glasgow, was forced to look at pictures of Bhoys boss Martin O'Neill and striker Henrik Larsson because of the printing error.

He said: "The printer who produces the Rangers News also does the Celtic View and ended up stapling the pages together. "My friends are Celtic supporters,! so we had a laugh, but the printers weren't too happy when my wife got in touch. This is the only picture of Larsson Rangers fans would allow

"They went back to the supporters shop and took away every magazine." A spokesman for Rangers insisted only 10 copies had left the shelves before they were alerted to the rogue pages.

And fortunately, most fans seemed to take it in the right heart. John McMillan, of the Rangers Supporters Association, joked: "I know both clubs are working closely, but this is a novel approach. "But it's been a genuine mistake. It's certainly given us all a laugh."

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now I get it.

BBC Scotland Off The Ball asked the Ibrox faithful if they were enjoying their Celtic View.

All has been revealed.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Paradise....

Celtic Park Voted Top Venue

from the BBC

Radio Five Live's Fergus Sweeney has paid homage to Celtic Park after the Scottish football champions' ground was voted the UK's favourite sporting venue.
The BBC station had held the poll of sports fans in conjunction with the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

And Sweeney presented his breakfast sports news from the winning venue on Friday.

The Glasgow ground that Celtic fans call Paradise took an amazing 60% of the votes, easily out-polling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and Lord's cricket ground in London.

Derby County's Pride Park was somewhat surprisingly the most voted-for English football ground.
Celtic and Nothern Ireland midfielder Neil Lennon was on hand to give Sweeney a personal view of his beloved club's ground - both as a fan and a player.

Even before donning the famous green and white hoops, he had already fallen in love with Celtic Park after coming across on the boat from Northern Ireland to watch the matches there from the age of 12.

"Particularly on European nights, it is a fantastic experience," said the 31-year-old who previously experienced England's top grounds while playing with Leicester City.

"My first Champions League game last season was against Porto and, when they lifted up the Champions League flag, the noise was just something else.

"60,000 people singing and lifting their scarves up. I just thought ' this is surreal'."

"The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up."

He also acknowledged the special emotions created by games between Celtic and often bitter Glasgow rivals Rangers.

"The atmosphere is just pure, raw aggression and just something I had never experienced before," said Lennon.

Fans were asked as part of the Radio Five Live poll to name what they liked best about their favourite sporting venue, from the design and facilities to the atmosphere on match days.

Celtic Park took 59.9% of the votes, 28.4% voted for the Millennium Stadium and 11.7% for Lord's.

A plaque has been presented to Celtic by CABE and Radio Five Live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The UK's top 10 favourite sports venues in order were:

1. Celtic Park, Glasgow (Football)

2. Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (Football/ Rugby Union)

3. Lord's, London (Cricket)

4. Pride Park, Derby (Football)

5. Welford Road, Leicester (Rugby Union)

6. City of Manchester Stadium (Football/ Commonwealth Games)

7. Stadium of Light, Sunderland (Football)

8. St James' Park, Newcastle (Football)

9. Franklin's Gardens, Northampton (Rugby Union)

10. Brandywell, Derry (Football).

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Flo to Sunderland

6.75 mil - about fcuking half what we paid for him. :mad:

Good part is though salaries will also have dropped as a result.

Buh-bye Tore.

Rangers drew Vicktoria Zizkov of the Czech Republic for the UEFA.
Not a bad draw.

Who did Celtic get? ;) :D

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scotish football

Been away awhile. Just read about Ricksen and have only one thing to say- WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

JINKY- How are Celtic doing in the Champions League?:p

We are, we are, we are the boys in blue...

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a good Scotsman! Can't even spell Scottish correctly.

That's hardly surprising since The Rangers support at the recent Aberdeen match were giving it "Rule Brittania" to the Sheep's "Flower of Scotland". Go buy another England jersey ya muppet.

As per your question, O'Neill said that Rangers were the benchmark and unfortunately we've gone and matched them in terms of European runs.

That fcuk up in Basle cost us only a little bit more than it cost Rangers to shift the three worst strikers in Scotland, Tore, Andre and Flop.

Here have some cake.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky

Why do you post an attachment of a cake with yourself donning a Rangers scarf on the top of it??? Kind of weird don't you think???:eek:

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm actually surprised you haven't mentioned how attractive you find the pig. I don't know whether or not it has spunk though.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poor Guinness........

Guinness,

I almost feel sorry for you. You have severely had the piss taking out of you on many occasions over the past few days. You're even stooping to asking Gusty about what is going on 'over there' with you beloved Linfield. You are in the Vancouver version of the Linfield Supporters Club, right? :p

BTW, how long does it take you to drop a package when you're looking at that beauty with spunk, Monica Seles, who by the way is almost as ugly as the Canadian goalie?

On top of that, Rangers sit perched behind the Bhoys for another week.

Jinky,

Will there be another cake for next week?

Captain

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eating the cake!

I will have the pleasure of sitting at Parkhead on Oct 6th, as Celtic slap gers with another larsson in footie. I shall post some pic's for guinness(that's assuming my wee camera works from the nose bleeds of the #1 team in Scotland), who can easily pick out the ugly blue or orange uniforms.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Willy,

Who's going to be the next manager for the Arabs?

Falkirk manager Ian McCall turned Utd. down.

Does this herald the return of madman Jim McLean?

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is from The Official Rangers FC Maths Workbook, which covers sums for practising Key Stage Two maths for 7-11 year olds.

1. If one minute of time is taken up in a game for substitutions and one minute for injuries, how much injury time will be added on by the referee if Gers are losing at home?

2. Barry is a Scots international. Express, as a percentage, the number of internationals he has missed on a Wednesday evening compared to the miraculous recoveries he made for the following Saturday.

3. Rangers are one of the giants of world club football. How many more European Cup Finals have they appeared in than Reims?

4a. How many more times have Rangers won the European Cup than Notts Forest?

4b. How many more times have Rangers won the Cup Winners' Cup and the Supercup in the same year than Aberdeen?

5. You are the referee at Ibrox. How near to a visiting defender does a tumbling Danish winger have to be to earn a penalty if he goes down in the box? (Note, round your answers down to the nearest 20 yards.)

6. Probability. Express the statistical probability of visitors to Ibrox being awarded a penalty. Compare this with the probability of opponents of the Teddy Bears being awarded a penalty home or away, and then discuss if a penalty awarded to the Gers would be awarded to their opponents in identical circumstances.

7. Billy "The Bear" lives in Morningside. How much does it cost for him and his two sons to travel to the Castle Greyskull every other weekend, including limited edition match day programme, a few drinks and bluenose burgers all round? How much could he save per week if he watched his local team instead? (Note, rround your answers down to the nearest thousand pounds).

8. Claudio is approx. 6ft tall and strong and fast. How much pressure need be applied to make him tumble over in the opponents' penalty area? (Note answers must be in lbs per square inch. However, answers such as "however much pressure is applied by Numan and Amoruso to referees" are accepted),

10. Sir Matt has won it 1 time, Brian has won it 2. Jock has one, Walter does not. What am talking about? Explain your answer (because nobody else can).

11. Ronald is a very lazy boy and often goes missing. Alex is very cross and wants to sell him. If Ronald cost 3.5m to buy, how much do you think David could sell him for? How many pennies will David lose?

12. What is the total number of chickens counted before they were hatched by Gers and their supporters who thought Viktoria were a pushover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts