Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ronaldo No Worse Than Buffon

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sage said:
I am not from Italy, Portugal, France or anywhere else related to this argument, so I make my point with absolutely no bias...

You all need to give your heads a shake... and get off Ronaldo's back. Every single fcuking guy in here would do, and does, the same thing every weekend when you play... and every pro player in the world does it too. I'm talking about drawing fouls, and asking refs for cards. you guys call Ronaldo a cheat... please, the guy tries to dribble past guys all the time, only to be pulled, hacked, tripped and kicked just cause the guy marking him is usually slower, or out of position. Would you not whine to the ref when you get chopped? Every fcuking guy in here yells at the ref EVERYTIME you get fouled, so why the daggers at Ronaldo? Plus, lets say you saw your teammate get stomped in the balls... would you let the ref just call a foul and get on with it? Please, all you guys would be screaming bloody murder, just like he did. Oh, and the wink to the bench? Hmmmm, lets see, I guess none of you have ever laughed at a guy who get sent off after he two-foots one of your teammates? Again, give your heads a shake... I've been in so many games where after a guy gets sent off for something dirty, lots of guys yap at him, smile and say things like "see ya later" etc. Ronaldo did nothing wrong, just acted in the same way as many of you would do for your teammates.

As for Buffon, he had every right to chase down the linesman... again, if it was you who got headbutted, you would expect EVERY ONE OF YOUR TEAMMATES to run to your defence, and ask the refs for a red card.

I find it funny how guys talk one way, but if it was your team or friend you would do the same thing these guys did.

My two and a half cents

I agree with you sage, and everyone else who thinks the Buffon and Ronaldo incidents cannot be compared. Keeper, what are you thinking?:confused: As for your defense of Ronaldo, just because some, (and not "all' as you put it), players do this gamesmanship crap, he takes it to a different level. He is a pure talent, no arguement there, and there are times he does get fouled, but thanks to the 5 or 6 different angles of video replay, we the world are able to see how often he's not fouled as opposed to being fouled. There are pleanty of cheats in the sport, and it needs clamping down. Germany used to be bad for it, Italians have always had a problem with it, and Brasil at times were known for it. Portugal have made it 70% of their game, and it's a shame because of the talent on Portugal. Minus the BS, Portugal are as technically gifted as most teams. However, it's by far the most negative thing in the sport, which is why teams such as Portugal are negative.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inspector Blake said:
Keeper, what are you thinking?:confused: As for your defense of Ronaldo, just because some, (and not "all' as you put it), players do this gamesmanship crap, he takes it to a different level. He is a pure talent, no arguement there, and there are times he does get fouled, but thanks to the 5 or 6 different angles of video replay, we the world are able to see how often he's not fouled as opposed to being fouled.
IB, re-read what I wrote. I'm NOT defending his diving, cheating, etc. In plain fact: I hate the fcuking bastard.

What I AM saying is that his actions in running to the ref demanding a card for Rooney is no different than Buffon running to the linesman and demanding some action against Zidane. (except that whole-training-with-the-guy-in-two-weeks part)

If people are going to bring that aspect up in demanding Ronaldo's head on a stick, then they'd better have some words about Buffon as well.

That's not to say that I (or you) wouldn't have done the same.

And did I mention that Ronaldo is piece-of-sh!t, cheating, bastard?

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
IB, re-read what I wrote. I'm NOT defending his diving, cheating, etc. In plain fact: I hate the fcuking bastard.

What I AM saying is that his actions in running to the ref demanding a card for Rooney is no different than Buffon running to the linesman and demanding some action against Zidane. (except that whole-training-with-the-guy-in-two-weeks part)

If people are going to bring that aspect up in demanding Ronaldo's head on a stick, then they'd better have some words about Buffon as well.

That's not to say that I (or you) wouldn't have done the same.

And did I mention that Ronaldo is piece-of-sh!t, cheating, bastard?

Keeper, I was referring to sage's post, after the confused face. "As for your defense of Ronaldo", etc.. was directed towards sage, not you. Zidane's case happened behind the play, and there was a good chance the officials had missed it. Therefore Buffon had more right to protest the incident, rather than Ronaldo. - that was for you!

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronaldo did nothing wrong when he approached the ref. This happens all the time every game. What I don't understand is that if you tossers actually think that the reason Rooney got a red was because Ronaldo asked the ref to do so, why wouldn't you be tearing into the ref??? The fact of the matter is Ronaldo's actions had no bearing on the red and everyone's just looking for a scape goat for the red instead of looking at the true culprit, Rooney. He put himself infront of the team just like ZZ and ultimately cost his team any further advancement in the tourney. Studding a guy in the nuts is a clear red, no doubt about it. Everyone would complain to the ref if they saw it happen to a teammate in the same circumstance as Ronaldo. Now if you want to talking about his diving, that's another topic. I agree there is too much of it, but it's not just the Portuguese, every team does it. Grosso versus Australia ring a bell??? And about appraoching the ref, did any of you see that the Croatian team had tied for the most intimitating the ref offenses in half as many games as the other teams? Some of you need to give your head a shake over this Ronaldo Rooney thing, it's been blown way too far out of proportion.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said Gomesy and I agree 100% the red was for the cheap stamp on the Portugese player. Any player in any league in any game in the world would bring these cheap actions like Rooney and Zidanes to the refs attention.

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy16 said:
What I don't understand is that if you tossers actually think that the reason Rooney got a red was because Ronaldo asked the ref to do so, why wouldn't you be tearing into the ref??

What you don't understand is that no one here has said it was what got Rooney sent off. Every post in this thread has simply implied that he was a cnut for "attempting" to influence the ref. Most of us know it had no bearing on the red being given. That is what most, if not all, have only been complaining about. Ronaldo is quickly becoming one of the top players in the world, but is also one of the worst in the world when it comes to the negative elements of the game. Read the posts more carefully in future is my advice to you. We're hardly going to agree on this, for obvious reasons, but even you can't argue that no matter what country he plays in, he'll be jeered for the full 90min. And that is noone's fault, but his own.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
C'mon, IB. You're just biased because you love Man-U. I, on the other hand, hate all Man-U players equally. :D

(Except Schmeichel. How could you not like him?)

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No. What I think and have said since day one, is/was that I was just as disappointed with Rooney for doing what he did and couldn't figure why he did. There may have been a foul (or not) before the stamping incident, but that's irrelevant. I've not once defended Rooney. Infact, quite the opposite. No bias here at all, unlike some:rolleyes:

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
I, on the other hand, hate all Man-U players equally. :D

Are you sure you don't have a bit more contempt for Sheringham or Solsjkjear...Sosjksjar...Solkjsare...?!? You know who I mean!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

La-la-la-la-la- I can't hear you...

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just a wee article from Sportsnet.

The anti-Ronaldo brigade

July 10, 2006

Sportsnet.ca News

It's no secret that Portuguese midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world, let alone the best 'young' player in the world. But outside of Portugal, the fleet-footed youngster is rapidly turning into public enemy number one. Once the poster boy of the English Premier League, Ronaldo is now the subject of numerous hate sites; and is apparently disliked by the FIFA Technical Study Group, who decided to give the Best Young Player of the Tournament Award to Germany's Lukas Podolski. Yes, the same kid who drifted in and out of games like a hot air balloon and was not nearly as consistent as Ronaldo.

Ironically, many of the fans that boo Cristiano Ronaldo every time he touches the ball are the same fans that cheered him on every week in the Premier League. But it now appears that his playing days in England are all but over, as he has publicly admitted that he wants a transfer to Spain. While Ronaldo is young, he clearly isn't foolish, and is fully aware that if he stays in the UK he would be forced to endure hell on earth. But where does all this deep-rooted hate stem from? Is it really because Ronaldo pleaded with the referee to give Wayne Rooney a red card during their quarter-final match and then winked at his own bench afterwards? Would Wayne Rooney (or any other player on any team) not have pleaded for a card in a similar situation? And a wink? Surely there are worse things he could do.

But let's face it, Ronaldo isn't public enemy number one because he is arrogant; or has a winking problem; or dives too often; it's because he scored the penalty kick that dispatched England from the tournament. Soccer fans in England have known for several years exactly what type of player Ronaldo is, and should stop using his "antics" as a crutch for not excepting defeat. It would be like soccer fans in France blaming Materazzi's chest instead of Zidane's temper for losing in the World Cup final.

It also appears that Ronaldo did not endear himself to FIFA's version of the Oscar committee. The manner in which the best young player is selected is a farce. The fans select their top three candidates on FIFA's website (which ended up being Ronaldo, Messi and Valencia) and the technical group adds three candidates of their own, namely Podolski. Ultimately it's the technical study group that gets the final say. But their final selection really isn't all that surprising considering Holger Osieck, a German, is the head the Technical Study Group. It's also comprised of 13 other former players and coaches who have enjoyed German hospitality for the last month.

Podolski had a good tournament, but if scoring three goals in seven games (and none in his last three games) is enough to earn him an award, then shame on FIFA for even coming up with this new prize. Podolski is an out-and-out striker, it's his job to score goals. He struggled for form in his first two games before scoring a meaningless goal against Ecuador. His shining moment came in the first 20 minutes of Germany's 2-0 win over Sweden. But he'll be most remembered for missing a sitter in extra-time against Italy. If you were to remove Podolski from the German national team, they still boast a formidable lineup. But if you were to take Ronaldo off the Portuguese squad, their starting 11 becomes mediocre.

Ronaldo was hands down the best winger in the tournament, who consistently terrorized defenders with his blazing speed, precision control and tricky step-overs. But critics argue that he goes down too easily and often feigns injury. But these critics need to put themselves in his shoes. In one-on-one situations, defenders often resort to straight fouls in order to slow down the winger. In the first 10 minutes of Portugal's second round match against the Dutch he was nearly chopped in half twice, and the second reckless tackle (studs to his thigh) forced him out of the game. All too often in soccer we see great players get their careers cut short because knee or ligament damage caused by reckless tackles. The great Eusebio had six separate knee surgeries during his career; all because he was in a class of his own on the field and was often on the receiving end of a hatchet job.

The truth is Ronaldo was not booked for diving at the World Cup, and while he has gone to ground frequently, there has been contact made most of the time. But then again, which player hasn't gone to ground easily in this tournament? Joe Cole, Ashley Cole and even Gerrard have all taken the plunge at the World Cup. Ronaldo's alleged diving tendency isn't the problem; it is defenders' inability to stop him -- and the anti-Ronaldo Brigade's fixation with dwelling on it.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perfectly put! With the exception on his take towards the diving aspect of Ronaldo's game. There were plenty of times he went down when there was almost zero contact and it was happening too consistently for my liking. English supporters/media are like Leafs fans in that they haven't even been close to succsess in 40 years but hold themselves in such high regard. One WC 40 years ago with a phantom goal awarded by the Russian official versus West Germany in the Final and then nothing for alomst half a decade. I guess I'd be bitter too.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
I can't believe ZZ would do that unprovoked. What did he say?

Officially:

Football was awash with competing theories, but with the help of an expert lip reader Sportsmail can reveal what triggered Zidane's attack.

Speaking in Italian, Materazzi grabbed his opponent as the ball ran away from them and told him: "Hold on, wait, that one's not for *****(dregs) like you."

Zidane's response was not visible, but as the players walked forward Materazzi said: "We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore." Just before the butt, he was seen saying: "So just f*** off."

As far as I am concerned, I am proud of Zidane. In his last game... at the height of footballing supremacy... when the entire world was watching... he put football aside and took a stand against a bigger, more important issue.

My 6.5 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0