Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rip Tide Assoc Red Card and Censor 14 yr old Girl

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel privileged to part of the TTP family.

someone tell @Rangerforever its actually a pizza hut logo on his kit, but his is soo streatch out it just looks like a chevy logo

So, like, is my new jersey ready yet?
Its only been about 9/10 weeks since I sent in my custom order.
And, if its in, any chance someone could pull a finger out and tell me?

Cheers in advance,
RF

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it odd that the 'organization' is taking the brunt a bit here. Why is that?

Its the 14 year old girl who is taking the brunt.
If the club has a problem with her mom, then it should deal with the mom, don't prevent the girl from playing. For example, it could have suspended the mom from all practices and games.
I understand the girl was also critical of Marine Harvest Fish Farms so the club agreed she would not have to wear a jersey with the Company's name on it. I congratulate them on taking that step. However they could have gone further to resolve the matter.
Some kids say stupid things, some say intelligent things. As adults we know not to get too upset at what they say, and to try to educate them. Its an overreaction to get upset at a 14 year for having strong opinions about fish farms. I can see getting tough with a 14 year old who makes racist or homophobic comments.

The press release from Upper Tides contains no names. Do you know who is on the steering committee? I tried to find out who is on the Steering Committee with no success.

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better late than never. Player removed from Riptide team because of failure to live up to the code of conduct that player and parent had signed, along with all other parents and players. Initially the mother spoke out against the sponsor, she has been a long time opponent of fish farms, and a member of the Steering Committee reached out and according to both they came to an agreement which included taking down the Facebook page created re the Riptide and Marine Harvest. In return player could play and take part in all the activities that the sponsorship included (she is a keeper and part of the sponsorship covered the cost for specialized training for keepers), and she did not have wear the logo on her jersey nor take part in any activities involving the sponsorship. The sponsor had offered, and not demanded, a trip to the fish farms so that players could see for themselves, fundraising assistance that consisted of providing the company's candied salmon at a very low price (only if the teams wanted to take part) and the company had requested that the Club (Riptides) put on a few clinics in Port McNeil and Port Hardy for the local kids. Nothing else was expected - forgot Marine Harvest was to be on all uniforms.
Apparently not good enough for players. She was upset that she could not be in the team picture, which was her choice, as the team would be wearing sponsor's name. Parent went to Prof at UBC, she/he want somewhere else and then CBC. And here we are.
Hockey player Mitchell from Port McNeil got involved with offer to pay for sponsorship but no mention of to what extent (player, team, or whole club). Some members of the community offered to pay sponsorship, but no one ever came forward with money. Of interest is that Marine Harvest sponsor a lot of things in this island community but nobody from any of those groups have ever spoken out against the company's sponsorship. http://www.marineharvest.ca/people/supporting-the-community/ Have a look at the sponsorships, which include Campbell River Youth Hockey, (Will Mr. Mitchell sponsor this now) to Cops for Cancer. The list is impressive.
Not a fan of fish farming, but that is not the issue. I am not sure how big the sponsorship is, but I am let to believe that it is quite large for soccer standards. I do not know how many of you have tried to get sponsors for clubs, but it is not easy and when you finally get one that offers lots of financial support, not in-kind, then you do not expect your membership to speak out against it and use the name of your club in the same breath.
Rumour has it that Alexandra Morton, a full time opponent of fish farming, is providing the family with lost of help to their message out. My view point. If the player had spoken out against fish farming as a private individual then I would not be writing this. However, she brought her team and club in to this, and that is where she felt her rights were more important that the rights of her team and club mates.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched that story recently on a local news and could not believe my eyes. I cannot understand what some people think who they are, what they are doing and how their personal views and agendas are actually affecting other people.

I am also not a fan of a farmed salmon, etc. etc. but to try to push my personal stand(ards) through the organized soccer club who gets sponsorship money from the company I do not like (whatever the reason may be) is totally ridiculous.

Those parents should be actually ashamed of themselves. Oh, well, if I am not mistaken the same local news showed how the daughter got $10,000 scholarship cheque from the other party (opponents to Rip Tide of whatever the name is) for her stand against a fish farm.

Really, what is next? Maybe a parent who has a kid with Metro Ford Soccer Club protesting against that sponsor because, well, yeah, cars are polluting the air!!! We should walk more, fcuk cars! Let's get rid of that sponsor so parents can pay more for registration, fees, etc. Wow! I guarantee with my life that the next step for those selfishly driven individuals would be to protest to their soccer club about the cost to play soccer.

It is very hard to find a sponsor and yet when a club manages to get one there are always some smarty pants who want to ruin it for all because of their personal views. This society caters too much to all types of "minority" groups at the expense of majority but I guess that is called a democracy (imposed on larger population).

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0