Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rip Tide Assoc Red Card and Censor 14 yr old Girl

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://globalnews.ca/news/2297729/f...spute-between-comox-teen-and-her-soccer-team/
The latest news is that Marine Harvest Rip Tide Soccer Association has red carded the 14 year old girl who has spoken out against fish farms on the BC coast.
The family moved to Comox so the girl could play higher level soccer. Marine Harvest fish farms was not a sponsor of the club when she joined but it is the sponsor now. The player and her mom have spoken out about fish farms and so now they have been kicked out of the club.
The Association gets money from Marine Harvest which it uses to pay staff including coaches and the TD. Unfortunately the 14 year old is being prevented from playing soccer in the process.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough one.

On one side, the sports / business sponsorship model, I completely understand this move. As a sponsor, you expect, at the very least, your athletes to represent your brand w/ professionalism. You don't have to use the products, or even necessarily endorse them outside the playing field, but you need to respect it. Think of all those years cigarette companies sponsored race teams and the arts. Those athletes and / or dancers essentially had to choose to either play and keep their mouths shut, understanding the sponsor has paved the way, or speak out, and likely be fired.

Now, this is a bit different, as I expect this family has paid into the club to be a member (player), but the principal still remains. The club itself is under no obligation to keep members in that they, for whatever reason, don't approve of. They can remove membership of anyone with just cause. This would likely qualify as just cause.

On a good human front, however, this such, and is laden with total douchbagedness. On a personal level, I applaud this young lady for having the courage to speak out for what she feels is important, and standing by her words. It takes courage, and is a great lesson for her to learn, in a good way. Stand up for what you believe in, even fight for what you believe in. Besides, how desperate do you need to be as a club to accept a fish farm as sponsor? It's already a contentious subject out there. As a club exec, I wouldn't touch that with a 100' pole. If a divisive sponsor really worth it? I don't think it is, they can't be paying in THAT much...could they?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not so sure it is so tough.

I've been following the story and it was my understanding that the 14 year old was allowed to play in kit that didn't have the sponsor logos on it and they accepted.

But then continued to speak out about it on social media.

Sounds to me like the mother and daughter want only one thing and any type of compromise is out of the question.

On the topic of a divisive sponsor, I would agree if their were more than one family driving this but from what I can see, there's not. Also, what we in the big city may consider really bad, isn't necessarily how a small community on the island or interior may feel. Especially if a company provides many benefits to the community through jobs and economic benefits.

I fcuking hate blue berries but see the value the berry farms bring out this way :gurps:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good points.

My point is this: I feel the club is in the right.

I also feel the young lady should continue to speak her mind, but be prepared to accept the consequences. And hey, if they "breached" their deal w/ the club, well...again, accept the consequences.

I sure hope this doesn't go to lawsuits.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The comparison to alcohol and tobacco sponsorships is interesting. Would you want your kids club to accept $ from a alcohol or tobacco company? How about if they offered you so much money that it paid all the clubs bills?
I checked Upper Tides website and could not find a copy of the code of conduct.
Its website also does not show a Board of Director, just a TD and coaches.
Upper Tides is not a community club, say like Surrey United or Metro Ford. The parents do not get to elect a Board for Upper tides, they pay a fee to register but have no voting rights with respect to Upper Tides.
Since Upper Tides does not have its own elected Board and no evidence of any Board then who made the decision to evict the player?
The TD and one coach have been in the media explaining the decision. Did they make the decision? If paid staff were involved in making the decision, then there may be a conflict of interest.
But if the District Board made the decision then there probably would not be a conflict, unless one of them works for Marine Harvest.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The answer is I don't know.

Lucky for us the tobacco argument is now moot. They can't chase it anymore.

Alcohol...I'd be a hypocrite, wouldn't I? I mean, I drink booze. But, do I think it's appropriate for kids under the drinking age? No. Past whatever the drinking age, no issue.

Also, if your kid plays / competes at an elite level, any sponsorship helps. For example, if my kid wanted to strive for the Olympic team in cycling, that's a $100K + investment. If a booze company offered sponsorship in some way, I think I'd take it. But that scenario is nowhere near the same as this scenario.

Very good question. Don't know the answer.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think its fcuking stupid of the kid and especially her mother.
Its a fcuking fish farm for fcuk's sakes...

That's it, I'm calling the Board at Langley FC Dude.
I'm being enslaved by having to wear a big Chevy logo on our jerseys this year.
Fcuk Preston GM and the horse they rode in on.
They use gas in their cars and I'm now into Teslas.
And, I never was a North American car guy to begin with.

I'm going on a relentless pursuit on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even more importantly, TTP, to make my point and seek justice against our Club's corporate sponsor.

Give me strength...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Taken from a CBC article:

Then this fall, the Riptide announced its corporate sponsor was Marine Harvest Canada. A press release states funds would be used for "unprecedented" skill development for its players, including video analysis, an online coaching library and player-mentor coaching camps.

When Anissa Reed objected to youth teams being branded by a fish farm company, the association told her Freyja could have her fees back and find another club.

freyje-reed-2.jpg

Freyje Reed did not join her U15 Girls teammates on a team trip to a Marine Harvest fish farm. (Marine Harvest Canada/Facebook)

Reed says the closest Tier 2 club is over an hour's drive away. Instead, she reached an agreement with the Riptide that Freyja wouldn't have to wear Marine Harvest gear, appear in promotional photos, or participate in fundraising activities.

But the association required both mother and daughter to stop all "sideline chatter" or social media discussing their views of Marine Harvest, and Reed agreed.

If they didn't remove a Facebook page created to oppose the Marine Harvest sponsorship, they were told Freyja may have to play elsewhere. "This email will be considered a "strike one," wrote the Riptide Steering Committee.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think its fcuking stupid of the kid and especially her mother.
Its a fcuking fish farm for fcuk's sakes...

That's it, I'm calling the Board at Langley FC Dude.
I'm being enslaved by having to wear a big Chevy logo on our jerseys this year.
Fcuk Preston GM and the horse they rode in on.
They use gas in their cars and I'm now into Teslas.
And, I never was a North American car guy to begin with.

I'm going on a relentless pursuit on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even more importantly, TTP, to make my point and seek justice against our Club's corporate sponsor.

Give me strength...

I've known you for 15 years on TTP, and now you choose to get off the fence? For this? Welcome to Taking a Side, Switzerland. FFS, and give me strength indeed.

BTW, while we're at it, I petition a change of name to the rightful, proper name, The Lords. Rangers. Soooooooooooooooooo original. You can even get a fish farm to sponsor us. My soul has a very low price.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its a tough call for sure but sponsorship should be the decision of the club. If you don't agree with the clubs decision go elsewhere period.

lfc4

Sep 21, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm with Ranger on this one. And Dude can attest I was 6 hours ago. Fish farm, divisive, fm.

Very very slow news day. Suppose when the migrants start freezing to death on their march across Europe this travesty on the island will lose steam.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The comparison to alcohol and tobacco sponsorships is interesting. Would you want your kids club to accept $ from a alcohol or tobacco company? How about if they offered you so much money that it paid all the clubs bills?
I checked Upper Tides website and could not find a copy of the code of conduct.
Its website also does not show a Board of Director, just a TD and coaches.
Upper Tides is not a community club, say like Surrey United or Metro Ford. The parents do not get to elect a Board for Upper tides, they pay a fee to register but have no voting rights with respect to Upper Tides.
Since Upper Tides does not have its own elected Board and no evidence of any Board then who made the decision to evict the player?
The TD and one coach have been in the media explaining the decision. Did they make the decision? If paid staff were involved in making the decision, then there may be a conflict of interest.
But if the District Board made the decision then there probably would not be a conflict, unless one of them works for Marine Harvest.

If Upper Tides does not have a board, does that not make then a For Profit Club/Academy? And if so, how are they able to play within BCSA when TSS is not?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it odd that the 'organization' is taking the brunt a bit here. Why is that?

In an effort to keep the program as inclusive and affordable as possible, every attempt to minimize player fees has been made. The Riptide is a not-for-profit program of the Upper Island Soccer Association, run by volunteers. All fees paid by players contribute to the program and the operation of the League.

Furthermore:

Steering Committee
As mentioned above, the Upper Island Riptide franchise is run by volunteers. Each local Club from which the franchise draws players sends a representative to sit on the Riptide Steering Committee and make decisions in the best interests of the Riptide players. The Steering Committee is chaired by a member of the Upper Island Soccer Association, the governing authority in the region.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0