Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Richmond Senior Soccer League 2007-2008

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds good, Tuna. We'll be there. :) Our womans' game has been postponed thanks to a scheduling bollockup by the league. Who is playing by the way?

Richmond Town err... Dragons versus Ante Up. They played in League last week with Dragons pulling out a 2-1 win.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
looks like dragons won the league cup 3-2 over ante up for their third straight cup. will lucardo protest the result?

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions for games in the premier division this weekend:

Dragons 5 - Harps 2
All Blacks 3 - Hounds 1
Athletics 2 - Ante Up 2

coolhead

Aug 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harps 3 - Dragon 1

Harps are making a run for the league title but will need some help with the Dragons 5 points up and only one head to head match left.

Coolhead

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The RSSL is looking at creating a Master's Division (Over-35's). Requirements from the city of Rmd states a team must have 60% of its players work or live in Richmond. The league is taking applcations in the hopes to have it up and running for 2008-2009.
Thoughts??

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many teams can you get in an o-35 legue in Richmond? If a Richmond team wants to play O-35 they can go to VMSL or FVSL, especially if you don't have any way of getting into the BC's. One of the problems is that the Dragons are basically an O35 team as it is. How are you going to control the 60% quota for players from Richmond? I know for a fact that some of the teams in Richmond do not have any players from Richmond (see 1st division). So how is the city going to control it. Stupid rule anyways since we already pay for the field use anyways.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not written in stone who gets spots in the BCs. With an aging population of players, there will no doubt be new masters league sprouting up. If all the players are signed to an "M" form, BCSA will have to address this issue and may have to revamp the masters competition.

Isn't a team supplying a field a solution to the 60% rule. The RRSL does that and has teams from Westside, Delta, Twasswassen, and Burnaby in the summer league.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would have thought that the demand would have been greater for a U-21 type of division to be established in Richmond?

With loads of Richmond based players graduating from the youth system each year, why not try to cultivate this youth base? Providing them with an alternative than having to make the jump to VMSL/FVSL or having to enter a full squad into the RSSL 2nd div.

The RSSL is already pretty damn old (present co. included). Why make it any older with the intro of a Masters Division?

Just my two cents.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think there is a mix of really young and really old teams in the RSSL. If you look at the lower standings, all teams probably have similar skills (that being very little, haha) and the real differene is the fitness level which is generally from the age of the player. Maybe the creation of a Masters division will also add more teams since older players not affiliated with a current team may no reconsider since they don't have to run up against a 20 year old.

As for U-21 development, there are no answers for that. The VMSL and FVSL cat systems are a joke. I don't think RSSl can do much better except to give teams a chance to develop and start in Div 2 and work there way up in a few years. Ante Up and Athletics can't be more than 27 year old teams. That's young.

Rovers players generally left for masters teams. Heard All-blacks and dragons were enquiring about spots too. Maybe this way RSSL will keep these teams in their fold.

As for spots in the provincials, I bet VMSL or FVSL won't like it one bit. I would be money the all-blacks or dragons can do well in the master's division in the VMSL. They can hump the ball just as well as anyone.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard All-blacks and dragons were enquiring about spots too. Maybe this way RSSL will keep these teams in their fold.

The All Blacks would prefer to see their older players put out to pasture rather than to move the team over to a masters division.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tuna. I guess it all depends on who controls your team and how many old guys vs younger guys. Last few years, firemen and shamrocks folded and had players move straight to masters teams in other leagues. If RSSL does have a fourth division being Masters, maybe it will retain some of these old farts while recruiting others that don't play in the area.

There is a reason why Richmond is building more turf fields. One being more players are expected in the future. And the shocking mud fields in the 2nd half of the season.

10 years ago, the master's league was mocked. Now there's talk of not only over 30's, now over 35 and perhaps over 42. Give it 5 years and we'll start hearing over 50's etc league. That's assuming oestoperosis or enlarged prostate doesn't end their soccer playing days.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The RSSL just hasn't been the same since 2000, they year of the first team to win the QUAD. Good luck the rest of the season, lads.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0