Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Report: United States will host Copa America Centenario in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArticleBot

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Report: United States will host Copa America Centenario in 2016

After weeks of doubt and speculation, the United States will indeed play host to countries from across the western hemisphere in the Copa America Centenario, ESPN reports.

Countries from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will compete in the U.S. for a 16-team celebratory tournament in 2016 that will mark the 100th anniversary of South America's regional title, the Copa America.

The 10 countries from South America will be joined by the U.S. and Mexico, as well as four more teams from North America, determined in a qualifying round.

An official announcement could be made as early as Friday, ESPN reports. The final would be played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., which most recently hosted the CONCACAF Cup match up between Mexico and the U.S.

MetLife Stadium in New Jersey was also listed as one of the venues for the semi-finals.

The Centenario was announced last year but doubts over the U.S. hosting arose when the Department of Justice began investigating officials in the region on corruption charges.

The D.O.J. said that bribes totaling more than $110 million had helped secure the rights to the Centenario.

Still, it looks as though those fears have been put to bed, at least for now, and the U.S. will host the likes of Brazil, Argentina and Chile in meaningful international competition on home soil.

Copyright © 2015 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Continue reading...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is great news!

I would imagine it means more games for Canada which is a good thing as the team develops.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was suppose to be the Caribbean Champion + the Central American Champion + the next two top finishers in the Gold Cup (which Canada was not). That was set up and negotiated by our good friend Jack Warner back a few years ago but who knows if that has changed.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"The 10 countries from South America will be joined by the U.S. and Mexico, as well as four more teams from North America, determined in a qualifying round."

Any word on how that qualifying round would be organized? Can Canada pass by Costa Rica, Jamaica, T&T, Panama, Haiti, Guatemala, A&B, Honduras, Salvador, Nicaragua? Yes, unfortunately, all those better ranked than Canada. Four spots and 10 teams better ranked than Canada (12 including Mexico and USA but they qualified directly).

upload_2015-10-16_14-17-4.png

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This tournament is just around the corner and no one has talked about the fact that Argentina are gonna play a round robin game in SEATTLE!

Argentina vs TBD
Century Link Stadium, Seattle
June 14th, 2016

There is also another group game in Seattle on June 4th from Brazil's group and a quarterfinal match between the winner of the USA group (group A) and the runner-up of the Brazil group (group B) on June 16th.

I'm excited and I know a couple of the lads on our O35 team were talking up tickets already.

Anyone heard anything about tickets yet?

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Got mine for the whole family last week.
Now hoping Brasil ends second so that they do their quarter finals here (against US, would be crazy)!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This tournament is just around the corner and no one has talked about the fact that Argentina are gonna play a round robin game in SEATTLE!

Argentina vs TBD
Century Link Stadium, Seattle
June 14th, 2016

There is also another group game in Seattle on June 4th from Brazil's group and a quarterfinal match between the winner of the USA group (group A) and the runner-up of the Brazil group (group B) on June 16th.

I'm excited and I know a couple of the lads on our O35 team were talking up tickets already.

Anyone heard anything about tickets yet?
Argentina vs Boliva - June 14th

The June 4th game is a dog... Haiti vs Peru

Group A
USA
Paraguay
Costa Rica
Columbia

Group B
Brazil
Peru
Haiti
Ecuador