Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Regional Tier 3 League

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
C'mon @Dude PDL is dead. It's USL League Two now. Get with the times.

Also, last I checked their roster rules were: maximum of eight players on each team's 26-man roster can be over 23 years old, while at least three players on each team's roster must be 18 or younger.

Tedward

Jul 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not just fine tune the PCSL??? Oh that's right BC soccer is not making enough money on it....

I have been suggesting for years that the best way is to simply "buy" the PCSL. Totally revamp the leadership, make it more professional, and keep the name, trophies, and history for marketing purposes. It would also remove them as potential competition as there will be no reason for the PCSL to exist if this new league comes about.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The new league is only slated to run May though July.

It is also a U-23 league.

I have a question about this...why? Why wouldn't they actually try and match the CPL season, the same way they do it, and get in the same number of matches? I also think Ontario splits into two halves as well. Have a proper number of matches, like 20 plus cups.

Then let the other leagues follow suit. 8-10 member clubs at the Tierr III level, like Jigsaw said all playing out of a stadium.

It's time.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I can see L1O has actually compressed their schedule... a few years ago they played May - Oct, but now they seem to be May - mid August.

I suppose they ran into player availability issues with the university guys heading back to school for the Fall.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever can you post the link here for the TSS-related post and I'll move into this thread? I can't remember where it was.

Thanks!

@Regs - https://takethepiss.com/threads/van...rt-video-and-photo-gallery.23634/#post-435508

Delving into BC Soccer's release, some preliminary answers to the questions we are debating seem to be included in the "Branding Strategy Document"

Notably regarding existing leagues on page 3 of that document:

The notion that BCSPL clubs, Adults Leagues and even cradle to grave clubs can participate in the league under their existing banners is not preferred for several reasons;
  1. League 1 BC does not want to be considered as a “retention strategy” for existing organizations, but rather a distinct layer in the development pathway, with unique clubs inspired by authentic community stories that will hopefully compel a supporter base.
  2. A new league one club that is connected to an existing entity diminishes the commercial asset potential of each entity, which is not desired.
  3. League 1 BC clubs should draw potential players from the entire ‘system’, rather than captive arrangements which could potentially limit player opportunity.
  4. By connecting existing entities to League 1 BC clubs, there is danger of over-representing certain communities or operating in communities that don’t feature qualified venues. The strategic objective is to have even distribution of clubs across the province that can be financially viable. Cannibalizing communities with over saturation of clubs is not a short or mid term solution.
So no "moving" from VMSL/VISL/FVSL to BCL1 ideally for BC Soccer. Also no adult teams for BCSPL franchises. Other than that it seems to be just a bunch of jargon, though it does confirm the hypothesis that BC Soccer wants this league to be "Province wide."

There are also not so subtle references to PDL sides TSS and Victoria Highlanders, as well as Whitecaps U23. It would seem the league, if the Whitecaps do wish to enter their development side, does not want them branded as "development/reserves/U23". As for the PDL sides, I am not sure what to read between the lines. It seems like this may still be a sales pitch with weird overtures about FIFA moving towards sanctions for team in one country playing in a league in another country.

Anyway, it is a short document (3 pages) and worth a glance. It also mentions the idea of streaming some of the matches as I mentioned.

The other document provided by BC Soccer is the Operating Manual:

This is a much longer read and has most of your boilerplate rules, etc. Some key points regarding players:

• a. No less than ten (10) of the players listed on the game sheet MUST be U23 players (i.e. For the 2020 season, a player classified as U23 must be born in 1997 or later)
  • b. No less than six (6) of the designated starting eleven players MUST be U23 players (i.e. For the 2020 season, a player classified as U23 must be born in 1997 or later)
  • c. No more than Three (3) of the players listed on the game sheet may be “import players”. An “import player” is any player who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. “Import players” must be clearly identified on the game sheet.
Player Status
Franchises/clubs/teams may register amateur players or players under professional contracts. If franchise/clubs do have players under professional contract, the following applies:

• i. No more than six (6) can be on professional contract, and
  • ii. Each player on contract can receive no more than $5,000 per year.
As I mentioned in my previous post the league is not intending to pay players immediately and instead, as their release state, move towards becoming a "semi-professional" league in the future.

However, I think the key piece of this release is that CSA have not yet confirmed that BCL1 will receive a berth in the Canadian Championship. As mentioned previously, I am told this is a CRUCIAL aspect of TSS and Highlanders agreeing to enter this league. So it will be interesting to see how those negotiations play out over the coming months.

Last point for now, @dezza I have to agree re: referee fees. $80/$40/$40? So the same as VMSL/FVSL Div. 1??? Come on BC Soccer, it should be the highest in the Province; at least $100/$50/$50. This has to be a development opportunity for the Province's officials as well and they should want to attract the best. It might seem like an insignificant point at this stage, but if BC Soccer cannot figure something like this out it does not likely bode well for the new league as a whole.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Delving into BC Soccer's release, some preliminary answers to the questions we are debating seem to be included in the "Branding Strategy Document"

Notably regarding existing leagues on page 3 of that document:

The notion that BCSPL clubs, Adults Leagues and even cradle to grave clubs can participate in the league under their existing banners is not preferred for several reasons;
  1. League 1 BC does not want to be considered as a “retention strategy” for existing organizations, but rather a distinct layer in the development pathway, with unique clubs inspired by authentic community stories that will hopefully compel a supporter base.
  2. A new league one club that is connected to an existing entity diminishes the commercial asset potential of each entity, which is not desired.
  3. League 1 BC clubs should draw potential players from the entire ‘system’, rather than captive arrangements which could potentially limit player opportunity.
  4. By connecting existing entities to League 1 BC clubs, there is danger of over-representing certain communities or operating in communities that don’t feature qualified venues. The strategic objective is to have even distribution of clubs across the province that can be financially viable. Cannibalizing communities with over saturation of clubs is not a short or mid term solution.
So no "moving" from VMSL/VISL/FVSL to BCL1 ideally for BC Soccer. Also no adult teams for BCSPL franchises. Other than that it seems to be just a bunch of jargon, though it does confirm the hypothesis that BC Soccer wants this league to be "Province wide."

The branding exercise in establishing community clubs in BC to participate in League 1 BC is an important aspect of the creating the league and in doing so, the approach BC Soccer is taking is based on the Canadian Premier League branding guidelines which includes naming clubs without using Geocentric community names. Building clubs based on values and local stories, without anchoring them to specific communities, thus allowing clubs to potentially move in the event their location is not deemed suitable after a reasonable period of time.

I'm sorry, I don't see how the fcuk you are unique and authentic in your community if you are setup to more easily pack up and relocate.

What a crock this part of the strategy is.

Tedward

Jul 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
The branding exercise in establishing community clubs in BC to participate in League 1 BC is an important aspect of the creating the league and in doing so, the approach BC Soccer is taking is based on the Canadian Premier League branding guidelines which includes naming clubs without using Geocentric community names. Building clubs based on values and local stories, without anchoring them to specific communities, thus allowing clubs to potentially move in the event their location is not deemed suitable after a reasonable period of time.

I'm sorry, I don't see how the fcuk you are unique and authentic in your community if you are setup to more easily pack up and relocate.

What a crock this part of the strategy is.

Holy Crap! I had not seen that part yet. Who wrote that bit of utter nonsense?

AUTHENTICITY is what sells soccer. Things like independent supporters groups and connections to the LOCAL community.

No one wants to invest time, money or effort into Franchize FC (tm). Especially not at the D3 level.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yup. Local stories and values but don't anchor to specific community.

Ummm...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts