Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Refs

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, obviously this is a hot topic for all soccer players/coaches/administrators and the like, so let's start a disscussion/rant on what makes a good ref and judging by a few posts made already, a bad one.

This thread will be watched closely for the next week or so since the BC Referees Association has a guest ref from Portugal arriving next weekend and has agreed to let TTP submit several questions to him to answer (first and foremost will be a question regarding unlimited subs...). More details on the guest will be posted on TTP later this week...

----------------------------------------------
I'll start things off with an example of what I believe to be a good ref and that is/was Bob Brown. He reffed with an Iron fist I believe but did so in a manner that was non-confrontational to say the least. He allowed you to talk to him and understood that the game is one of emotions. At the same time, if you talked too much he would just tell you to shut it and get on with the game. Top notch.

On the other hand we have everyone's favorite in the lower mainland, Mauricio Navarro (sp?). The exact opposite of Mr Brown is enough description of his style. Confrontational to put it mildly...

~TB.

Owl

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good ref shocker exclusive

The wee Angelo. Don't know if he does Metro games any more, but he certainly does games in Burnaby. First class. Sensible decisions, and a good sense of humour.

It is probably too much to ask that our local refs get it right all the time, but it's not too much to ask that they don't behave like little Hitlers. The best refs are the most easy-going, but who can get rid of any nasty stuff early doors. If that makes sense.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A good ref

Bobby Brown was an excellent ref. His banter during the game was second to none. More importantly, he was willing to admit that he made a mistake once in awhile. He was consistent.

Mauricio is a grade A jackass. He does nothing but provoke players and he has to be the first star of every game, of course at the expense of the players, coaches, and spectators.

Yours in officiating,

Captain Shamrock who received his 'ticket' in Guatemala

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How did these guys become FIFA Refs?

:mad: This topic makes HOS very angry, because I, like every other player in the Lower Mainland have experienced bad refereeing.

I feel for a ref because they can not make all the right calls in a game, and they can not make both teams happy on every call. They however should call a game from a players stand point and not be DICKtators.

A good ref is one that has played the game before, and not just at a recreational level, but one with a limited amount of subs.

These refs out there have never played the game before, so they want to be the center of attraction on the field, by them deciding the out come of the game.

Lets hope this ref from Portugal takes Renee and Maricio back with him to Europe where they may be able to get re-trained.

Do These FIFA Refs pull this crap they do with us in World Cup Qualifying games in Azteca?

Bobby (Rob) Brown why do you only ref in the Valley, where your talents are wasted on players like TR and YODA.
Please come back to the VMSL, we will pay you more money.

HOS~

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
A good ref is one that has played the game before, and not just at a recreational level, but one with a limited amount of subs.

The only thing funnier than that statement I think is the fact that your whole post took probably 20 minutes to type out :D

Nonetheless, good points.

~TB.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I've seen worse

HOS,

I've known you for a long time and been witness to several weekend tournaments you were present at before your marriage... surely there has been no violation comparable to events you have been subjected to in the past :confused:

To answer your implied question though, no, I was not watching you. This time. I viewed who was online once and then 20 minutes later viewed it again... you were apparently still "replying to thread" :D

Glad to have cleared things up,

~TB.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
REFS?

My huge beef with refereeing these days is how damn inconsistent they are as are the disciplinary board!

What chance do we have when a ref's report of a game is the only thing they have when they come down with their judgement!
I don't understand why we even show up for the hearings because it obviously doesn't matter what our side of the story is.

Maurizio,hands down the worst ref we have in this league.He demands respect but at the same time shows us none whatsoever,hopefully he stays in whatever country he gets to ref in next.

Rene,since being stripped of his FiFa status,has actually been not bad.Was what Maurizio is now, 3 years ago.

Herb is wasting his time reffing in the Co-Ed leagues, although he obviously has a crush on every girl that plays.He would be an asset to our leagues ;)

Does anyone remmber the name of the ref that sent people off for bumming?I heard he fell very ill.It was always a blast playing in a game that he refereed.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jimmy,

I believe his name was Jimalla (sp?). Sad to hear of his illness. He used to do the Ital Tourney way back when.

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that the league has to help protect the refs , then you might get some more consistensy from them, i know a couple of refs that ref in different divisons and leagues and have been threatened or abused verbally and physically, so they either quit, or just do certain games. So when they quit you lose a half desent ref, and we are stuck with the usual crap, if the league protected the ref , you might find that the goods will stay,and the crap ones will be more consistent ,because they feel they can make those calls without being abused for making a call that the home team or away teams players or spectators may find was bad .

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Checking with the bum" (while indicating a foul throw)

Jimmy,

I think you're thinking of Joella (sp?). He used to ref us in the early '80's in a summer 7-a-side league that played out of 19th and Heather and S. Memorial and then out in the Champlain Heights area (Bull and Bears, Van Goya, Cosmos, Red Lions et al...).

He reffed my older son's game (U-12) out in North Burnaby last year. He was still the same happy guy but with a full head of hair! He told me he had some liver problems (I think that's what it was--some important internal organ anyways) but had recuperated and was doing youth soccer games and enjoying life...big smile on his face as we reminisced about the old days.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bumming

Yeah, that was Joel.

He's alive and kicking and living in Burnaby Heights. He reffed a couple of games for us this summer and mentioned his liver problems - he's over 60 now but still a really nice man who does a decent job in the middle. He has the right attitude - Let's have more like him.

backfromtheWCTwhereiveneverbeensofcukingwetinmylife.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough of Joella

I suppose Joella falls under the "good guy/bad ref" category.

Has anyone heard of John Vijvoda (sp?)? He refs us a lot in the West Coast Over 30's League. He's South African, about 5'10", a goatee and a mustache. He has the worst judgement I've ever seen in a ref. He usually hangs out after the games with us and has a few beers before heading off for his afternoon game (we play at 10).

He's told me that he's been persecuted by the reffing "powers that be" and is not given games where his obvious talents would be an assett: I think he was talking about FIFA aspirations in his younger days.

I dread seeing him walk up to the park when we're warming up.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter,

I think I know who you are talking about, i know exactly what you mean by him staying around after the game to drink beer.

The funny thing about that is after you pay him he comes and drinks but never pays and rarely actually drinks a beer in front of you because i think he takes them home and stores them away.

JB

knowone

Aug 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think that a "MOST SHIIT REFS"
poll is in order, but i'm too much
of a dumass to start it. any chance?

poll only so no-one gets fcuked.
:D cant imagine who comes out
on top....... moritzeeow;)

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
J_B,

Oh he drinks them all right. Last year, after a particularly horrendous outing, I got him to take a couple of slugs off our victory scotch thinking it would leave him with the notorious "booze breath" you smell on the pitch every once in a while for his 2 o'clock game. But there he was a couple of weeks later at our field, oblivious to my deviousness, collecting his $40 and a salmon burger--and thinking I was his good buddy for my generosity the game before.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
USA v. Honduras

Stewart had a chance to regain the lead in the 43rd after referee Mauricio Navarro of Canada called a borderline penalty on Milton Reyes for knocking down Jovan Kirovski in the penalty area.

. . .

Honduras went ahead in the 53rd after Navarro awarded another questionable penalty kick when Jeff Agoos pushed down Reyes with his right arm just into the edge of the penalty area. Carlos Pavon slid the ball to Friedel's right for his 15th goal in 14 qualifiers. Nunez made it 3-1 in the 77th.
Regs, does this sound about right? Two debatable penalties in one WC qualifying match? Imagine that. He even gets criticism on the international stage.

The entire article

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts