Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Refs

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well at least he didn't hand out any reds...

Cautions: GUERRERO Ivan (HON) 20' TURCIOS Danilo (HON) 43' CABALLERO Samuel (HON) 58' CARCAMO David (HON) 80'

Expulsions: --

Simon Fearn was one of the 'assistant' referees as well.

They're both donkeys.

~TB.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Ref

Who is the young ref that did the Sap-Peg game. I thought he did a very good job.....on the whole, he's been improving everytime I see him. Last year he lined more games than he called.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Black Eye

Thanks Tee.

Did Paul's dad have a black eye? I hear Todd Baumberger punched a linesman out last week...or was it this week?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the other gy

WAB,

The black eyed linesman was Vince Alvano... he's the one that moron punched.

~TB.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough Guy

Who was that moron?

I'm one that disagrees with refs more than anyone else but physically abusing one never, ever crosses my mind

I guess he thought it was the only way his pathetic team could get a point this year:confused:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Truth(?)

Vince reffed our game Sunday morning vs. Inter and he said the guy dummied him from behind and then when, according to Vince, the attacker was in Vince's vice-like headlock, his buddies jumped in to save him.

Vince then proceeded to blow the play down every time physical contact was made. When I asked him if he remembered how he used to play (I played with him at the end of his career in the early '80's when he was the most notorious "studs-high" tackler in the league) he laughed and said he had a different perspective now.

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A person that hits a ref. has little brains. You know when that happens you are either going to get suspended for a year to life. Obviously that is just another moron out of the league. Eventhough some refs deserve some of the crap they take it is a game and there is no need for that crap.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Worst display ever!!!

You guessed it, Maritzio...Regs and the Captain will remember this one... Ireland vs Canada at the Nations Cup...I think it was 3 or 4 years ago...My first "Maritzio experience"anyway, we were all over Canada from the start and it could have been all over real early, however there were no goals scored... so what does Jackass (formely known as Maritzio) do? calls a questionable foul on us...as we are backing up in the wall, he has a go at Regs to get back 10 yards (something like that, he was mumbling again).. as Regs raises his hands in protest (and walking backwards) a yellow is produced...this chokes the Bigman, he asks "what are you doing man"...Jackass reponds; the yellow is not bright enough, I think I'll pull out a Red (looks more like toontowns pink uni's)....that wasn't enough of a show from Jack, now aims at another lad, Reedy...Rob asks him what's he doing, and Jack goes for the high and mighty top pocket AGAIN (apparently, having cards in the arse pocket doesn't look as flash)... Reedy asks, "what is that a threat"...Jackass- yellow card..."Now Reedy loses it, he goes at Jack, "what the HELL are you doing" yes he used the word hell...nothing degrading or confrontational (not to much) anyway, BAM, red card...now Regs, Reedy and The Captain lose it and call the twat all the bastards in the world...he seems pleased with what he has accomplished...

sorry it took so long to read, but shite this guy is a complete Jackass!!!!!!! :mad:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jackass

Yes, he definitely was a jackass that day and probably cost us the Cup that year.

If it wasn't for Simon Fearn, he'd be a shoe-in for TTP Bastard of the Year :D

~TB.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now this is funny

From the BC Refs site....

Posted June 7
John NIELSEN has released another in his series of excellent refereeing videos:

I have just completed a new tape in the Anything Wrong series. It consists of 10 video clips. Some of the clips will test the skill in observation, others I'm sure will generate lively discussions as they are of the controversial nature. The tape is 41 minutes in length and the cost is $ 25.00 shipping and handling included.

Should you be interested in purchasing this tape please reply by email with your shipping address and I will mail the video in the next couple of days as I await your cheque via snail mail. My mailing address is

John Nielsen
11171 Seaham Crescent
Richmond, BC, V7A 3Y8
Canada

I think you will find this tape very useful both during referee clinics and also at referee meetings where I know they will force the referees to think not only about the laws of the game but also how they should be applied.

Site Updates

Sandman likes this.....:)

Also......

John Meachin's fitness manual in the Handbook

Classic stuff.....

Soon to come

Mauricio's Manual on How To Fcuk Up Any Match

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mauricio

Typical Mauricio style refereeing in Argie/Croat game.

Letting devistating tackles go and then giving yellows and reds for petty shite. WTF????

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very serious.....

WAB,

Unfortunately, I am very serious. Both names bring shivers down my spine. They were shocking refs and I know I will never see them again on the field so I don't mind saying it......

F

fink

BC Refs Site

Say what you will about on field performance, but John Meachin (now deceased) had a systematic focus on referee fitness, and John Nielsen produces some of the best quality refereeing education videos in the world, on a limited budget. His products are invaluable for developing and training new officials, and refreshing older ones. I'm well aware that the prevailing trend - here anyway - is to dismiss officials as ignorant drunkards only interested in it for the money. On the contrary, however; most officials take a serious and professional approach to their education and fitness, especially at the higher levels.

Neil Ernst
http://www.BCSRA.com admin

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes.....

Mr. Fink,

I think players have valid concerns with the officiating. First off, I am very sorry to hear that John Meachin passed away. Secondly, John might be able to produce great videos but he is a shocking ref. This is no different than a lot of dickhead coaches who have their 'C-License'(no , not the ones who buy it or have people write it for them) who couldn't coach to save their life.

There are a lot of diabolical referees in this league. Refs, who on a weekly basis change their interpretations of the rules, refs who try to intimidate players(eg.Mauricio), and refs who just don't know the rules. In divison two, it is more likely because I would guess that the 'better' refs are working the higher divisions. I think the league is better without linesmen, after watching the fossils that were working the Sapperton/Surrey game. They did not make a correct call all game........

I appreciate your dedication and interest you have shown towards our officials but the bottom line is this: there are definitely more poor officials than good ones. Until we get more refs who are willing to try and keep up with the play, whether there are linesmen(sorry, assistants) or not. I know as a ref who received his ticket from Guatemala that I work harder reffing than I do playing now because I think refs owe it the players. After all, the players pay their fee.

BTW, I really like John Nielsen off the field. He is a very nice gentleman but I have never rated him as a ref and I am guessing he knows that, not that it matters to him anyway.
Captain

F

fink

Refereeing problems

Thanks for your considered reply Captain.

Firstly, I agree completely refs are there for the players - to protect them, to ensure fair play, to see soccer is being played and not some canadian amalgam of hockey and rugby. That being said, the laws of the game give refs a lot of power to affect play, and this is what causes bad feeling. Plus there are a lot of players who seem to try and circumvent the laws however and whenever they can, as I'm sure you'd agree.

I think the state of refereeing in Vancouver, and BC in general (prob. across the world!) is a reflection of the low number of officials that keep at it. Many promising officials (at a young age) are driven away from the hobby from abuse. Now some will say that we don't want young refs, but few 'retired' players show any interest in officiating, which hurts not only the leagues, but those officials who could learn something from them.

As a soccer community, I honestly think if we made refereeing a more noble endeavour we'd see more people take it up and keep at it. And the more candidates, the more chance to 'weed out' any unsuitable ones. Currently, there is such a shortage we need to use whomever we can - even 'fossils'!

neil

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Valid points......

Neil,

You're very right about the lack of interest in young refs. I started reffing last summer in the Richmond Summer League and enjoyed it immensely. I would be considered a 'young' ref (I think) at 33, and would like to pursue it in the future. However, I would like ot focus on coaching first before I take reffing more seriously. I am guessing other players who are finishing their careers would lean towards coaching, as there is generally less abuse. :) I can't remember the last time I had a ref that was under 40 - 45..........

Hopefully more kids will stick to it because there is a huge need for quality refs right now because I can't stand to watch posers like Mauricio strut around a soccer field any more. No one likes a ref who is the star of the game.

BTW, do you still ref yourself?

Captain

F

fink

reffing

Not as much. I do a few games a season. I found I really missed competition, thrill of winning etc. so I took up another sport (rowing) which has taken most of my time. Not that reffing isn't challenging!

Part of the problem with the age thing (as to what a young ref is) is that to proceed up the ladder (to do National and International games eventually) the mandatory retirement age is 45, and may even be coming down. Thus 33 is right on the bubble if you want to move on to higher level, more challenging matches.

I personally feel you can be 50+ and still ref the highest level. If you watch some of the (IMHO) better refs, their experience allows them to be in the right position, despite less than brillant fitness, more often than some young gazelle who is often (as I often was) right in the middle of things getting nailed by the ball, interfering with players, etc.

Another problem is that new refs often start reffing youth games, which in my experience can be some of the worst situations for refs - as you mentioned, know-nothing coaches, primadonna players, and worst of all, the bloody parents. :mad:

neil

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts