Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Refereeing question please ?

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
If theres any referees on here i would like some info please :

1-In u11 8a side soccer can a player be sent -off for an accidental tackle

2-Penalty kick- should the penalty be taken from 12 yards or 9 yards ?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A red card issued for a 10 year old? Seriously?

What happened to building sand castles on the 18?

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
1) Yes, if the ref doesn't have a clue

2) It is 9 or 10 yards but not 12

1- It was u11 boys play-off semi final. The defender accidently caught the opposing forward with an accidental kick while trying to clear the ball. This happened just outside the penalty area.
The useless ref had not even made a decision but within seconds the forwards mother jumped over the fence charged onto the field and threatened the defender " u better ****in watch it " . The defender was in tears .After about 5 mins after other parents and coaches had led the swearing mother away the referee sent the defender off !

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
1- It was u11 boys play-off semi final. The defender accidently caught the opposing forward with an accidental kick while trying to clear the ball. This happened just outside the penalty area.
The useless ref had not even made a decision but within seconds the forwards mother jumped over the fence charged onto the field and threatened the defender " u better ****in watch it " . The defender was in tears .After about 5 mins after other parents and coaches had led the swearing mother away the referee sent the defender off !

I checked out the grounds for protesting the above decision and this is what i found :
The "Grounds" for Protest

A protest will only be considered on the grounds of:
(a) Interpretation of the FIFA Laws of the Game
(b) The eligibility of players or
(c) Breaches of Competition Rules and Regulations
You must state which of these grounds is the basis for the protest. You cannot protest a game based on the referee's judgment of the 'facts' of the game (e.g. was a player offside? Did a player handle the ball?).
Any protest relating to the ground, goal posts, or any other appurtenances (like nets, soccer balls, corner flags, etc.) shall not be considered unless notice has been given to the Referee before the game starts. If the problem cannot be solved without delaying the game, a protest must still be made in writing and then properly submitted to be considered. No protest will be considered if, in the opinion of the Referee, the objection lodged did not seriously affect the outcome of the game.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

:eek:

Jesus.

The real offending party here appears to be Messed up Mom.

Jesus. Seriously.

That poor kid.:(

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

My kid played for the losing team, in every game you get fouls and mistakes by all involved (yes even the refs). I was not at the game but everyone i have talked to have said it was a foul, This mother obviously needs to wrap her baby in cotton wool to protect him, and attended the local anger management classes

Week in week out in soccer, players get kicked. It is a part of the game and the ref gets paid to take care of it.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
My kid played for the losing team, in every game you get fouls and mistakes by all involved (yes even the refs). I was not at the game but everyone i have talked to have said it was a foul, This mother obviously needs to wrap her baby in cotton wool to protect him, and attended the local anger management classes

Week in week out in soccer, players get kicked. It is a part of the game and the ref gets paid to take care of it.

Well said, WB...
BTW, PK's at U11/12 are 9m from goal
Also, the crazed mom put your kid in tears?? That is unfortunate and she is obviously over the top but hmmm....I wonder if you took in to account what that kid who was the referee felt like as you and your parents shouted what you thought of him for sending your defender off of the park. A U11 game. So, your referee must have been all of 14-15 years old?? Tell me; how did you react towards the 14-15 year old referee? Did you call him/her "useless" as you did here? Because I am sure that will help him/her towards being a better referee, listening to grownups calling you useless when you've made a decision. Nice work.
Sour grapes...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Frequently he's off on his own plane of existence...:rolleyes: but there is the germ of a point in here, even if he is going off at the wrong person.

Geordie: was this a club ref or a district-provided one? This is actually a relevant question because:

1. club-provided refs are normally younger than district-provided ones
2. obviously, there is a perception amongst coaches that a club-provided ref won't be able to be quite as objective. That wouldn't have happened to have been your case would it?

Next question (and the actual basis for Canucklehead finally having a point) - when you refer to a ref as "useless" in a post on here, how did you refer to him/her on the field? One hopes better than Psycho Mom's approach. Even if the ref IS having a crap game or isn't really there, this is still U11, FFS. Pull the kid over after the game, and have a quiet chat with him/her WITHOUT being abusive. Most refs at this level have never pulled a card out, let alone be able to remember all the reasons why they should need to. Personal experience is that unless there is a deliberate intent shown to injure during a foul, most kids at that age get traumatized just by being shown a yellow card after the incident.

At all costs, don't let Psycho Mom near the field again. Be in control of your own emotions and those of your team's parents. That is one of your basic responsibilities as a coach of young players.

I mentor a lot of beginning refs, and one of the things that prevents most of them from staying in the game longer is having to put up with shite and abuse from parents and coaches who are living vicariously through their players/children and think every game is a World Cup final. If you want good refs, you have to grow them, and we can't expect them to get better by pissing on them.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
My parents used to tell me that I was useless at 14 and I turned out just fine.

Listen to Canucklehead, he's a very well informed referee who knows precisely what he's jabbering on about at all times.

I very much doubt that Geordie told the kid that he was useless.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gordie rules are equl for kids or grownups. Faul is faul. Pk for U11 and U12 is from 9m spot. As far as posting this you guys stop. There is no need. Tears are good for kids. In the long run it will make the better players. As far as parents stepping in and going mad. Coach from that side should give mon and her kid the curd and send them packing. That will become more of a problem each year. Some parents live through their kids sport and forget what is the reason children play. FUN FUN and more FUN.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

Have to agree w/ all who said that above all else, the Mother needs to be reprimanded. Formerly advised she is suspended from attending any practices of games the balance of this season. The incident should be filed at BCSA, and she should be formally warned that, upon her return next season, any further incidences will result in her permanent expulsion from participating as a fan or in any other capacity. That said, you should try to avoid punnishing the kid for his mom's behavior at all costs. Kids can't choose their parents, and there are some bad ones out there w/ good kids.

As for the kid, didn’t see it. I do know that even 10 year old can clatter another on purpose, so it may or may not have been accidental. That said either way, at this age, the whole thing should be treated as a learning opportunity for both the kids and ref.

For the ref: how to handle a stressful situation like this. Simply, interpret and rule according to the laws of the game. In doing so, explain to the kids what is happening. Also, explain to the coaches what is happening.

Do I think the kids should have been sent off? Again, didn’t see it. I do think a Red Card, in the purest of senses, is harsh. That said, I do know some 10 year olds have it in them to let their emotions get the better of them. Not many, but some- and you can tell when it isn’t an accident. My approach as a coach was to remove the kid from the game myself…and this did happen on a couple of occasions w/ different players. I’d sub them off, plant them on the bench, and after the game explain to him in private why he was taken off, including explaining the full rules, and that, had he been older, he’d have received a red card. Explain what a red and yellow card mean. Then explain the same to the parent. All the while, this is TEACHING. The reprimand is in the sitting. With most kids, it is the competitive drive that makes them justify the kick in the first place. Either they want to win so bad that they’ll get the ball at all costs, or simply, they got mad and acted out. Happens, and I love having competitive kids on my team. Rather that than the daisy pickers or sandcastle builders. The trick is finding a way to get them to understand the importance of controlling their actions and diverting their emotions in a positive way on the pitch.

If it is obviously purely accidental, you’d hope the ref on the pitch explain that it is still a foul, and there are still consequences: free kick. Here’s an opportunity to teach the boys how to form a wall, and cover up. You then hope the ref would explain why it is important to be sure of the tackles. This way “accidents” don’t happen so much in the future, given they know there are ramifications, regardless.

At the end of the day, it is the coaches who need to control the situation. Unfortunately, refs at this level are still very young and learning, too. There are no useless refs at that age…they are just good kids trying to make a buck. Our job as coaches is to help them.

Problem is that, from what I’ve seen, most coaches don’t even have any knowledge in the game to begin with. That’s what I’ve seen, anyhow.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gordie rules are equl for kids or grownups. Faul is faul. Pk for U11 and U12 is from 9m spot. As far as posting this you guys stop. There is no need. Tears are good for kids. In the long run it will make the better players. As far as parents stepping in and going mad. Coach from that side should give mon and her kid the curd and send them packing. That will become more of a problem each year. Some parents live through their kids sport and forget what is the reason children play. FUN FUN and more FUN.

Riverview called.. They want u back...

Science called... they want to run tests

speaking of kids...

How the hell did u ever find someone to consentually fornicate with ?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder if you took in to account what that kid who was the referee felt like as you and your parents shouted what you thought of him for sending your defender off of the park. A U11 game. So, your referee must have been all of 14-15 years old?? Tell me; how did you react towards the 14-15 year old referee? Did you call him/her "useless" as you did here? Because I am sure that will help him/her towards being a better referee, listening to grownups calling you useless when you've made a decision. Nice work.

Bingo - Well said.

As if we don't have enough problems keeping referees in the game.

It's U-11 FFS...

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bingo - Well said.

As if we don't have enough problems keeping referees in the game.

It's U-11 FFS...

Let's get it right RF, yes the blame is totally on the parent.

Being a parent myself i have taught my daughter how to lay the boots to the opposing player and look like an innocent angel while doing it and always respect the ref, even Whistleblower:D Was she a hot soccer mom or a pig, the suspension tells me she was the later. A hot soccer mom only would have got a verbal warning.;)

$$$MAN

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0