Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Referee Improvement

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the only way to solve this is for @Soccer Coach to post Campo's VMSL Referee Rankings
I do not think that this would be fair to the referees. However, I can tell you who in my opinion are excellent and deserve to be better paid.
(Michel Pie, Allan Rush, Kevin D'Oliva, "Bojan' or "Bojan", Ruben, and another young referee who is tall and wears glasses).
Those guys referee very well and in my opinion, we do get a bargain as they should earn at least $125 per game for their work.

I also like Kevin Uppal, and I think that he is good. I just wish that he would not get so aggressive with the players and the coaches. In my opinion, you can control the game without too much of a dictatorship approach.

I also think that Miro and Nick have done a good job.

Assistant referees are really hit and miss. Some do a great job and other, man, really missing basic offsides, fouls, and even ghost goals.

I really would be happy that we pay the guys above more money and they are not forced to run from field to field to each game.

Believe it or not there is even a good referee in Divions 3, who is very old . He rarely runs and leaves the centre circle but the way he deals with players and coaches is good. he has people's skill and he makes fine calls from far.

Guys, I understand that it is a difficult job. Players deserve better service and these people deserve better payment.
Just doing it for the love of the game does not cut it.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do not think that this would be fair to the referees. However, I can tell you who in my opinion are excellent and deserve to be better paid.
(Michel Pie, Allan Rush, Kevin D'Oliva, "Bojan' or "Bojan", Ruben, and another young referee who is tall and wears glasses).
Those guys referee very well and in my opinion, we do get a bargain as they should earn at least $125 per game for their work.

I also like Kevin Uppal, and I think that he is good. I just wish that he would not get so aggressive with the players and the coaches. In my opinion, you can control the game without too much of a dictatorship approach.

I also think that Miro and Nick have done a good job.

Assistant referees are really hit and miss. Some do a great job and other, man, really missing basic offsides, fouls, and even ghost goals.

I really would be happy that we pay the guys above more money and they are not forced to run from field to field to each game.

Believe it or not there is even a good referee in Divions 3, who is very old . He rarely runs and leaves the centre circle but the way he deals with players and coaches is good. he has people's skill and he makes fine calls from far.

Guys, I understand that it is a difficult job. Players deserve better service and these people deserve better payment.
Just doing it for the love of the game does not cut it.
I might have missed one, but I hope @dezza that this answer your post.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure how far you're going to get at your AGM to be honest. Referee's at all levels are technically private contractors that work for cash. Even the HPL hands out little white envelopes on game day. Ref’s are free to work in any league or level they want or someone is willing to give them an assignment for. Some ref's being more qualified or certified than others of course. Most ref's we see are loyal to certain winter leagues and as such get their regular assignments be it BBY, FVSL, VMSL, Richmond etc...

Currently, paying more will only have the same ref's getting more money and doing the same job. Ref fees were just raised a year or so ago and there was almost an internal riot. Technically, I guess, you can push to pay them as much as your heart desires because at the end of the day the teams/players are ultimately paying them. The leagues are only managing and assigning them to your games. If you don't want your ref fees for the year to basically double as you're describing, you will have to get your respective leagues to make up the difference. Good luck with that one! The odd's of you getting a local league to take on the management on what would now be “staff”, deal with payroll, taxes… no chance. AND the likelihood of those cheques being accepted is pretty bloody slim.

On the education side, BC Soccer certifies them, hosts their yearly re-fresher and is ultimately is in charge of their certification and training. My suggestion is you need to speak to them if you wanted updated education and standards... They have a full time staff member for it. You would also need to go to them to push some of their young new referees to ref in the adult environment instead of say HPL, college, university or any other programs they send them too.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, I should note, I don't speak for the leagues. As representatives for (you) the players, I do see the leagues already try and push the standards at a board level.I was merely trying to quickly pointing out some of the challenges and road blocks to some of things I read over.

I'll get my coat...

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure how far you're going to get at your AGM to be honest. Referee's at all levels are technically private contractors that work for cash. Even the HPL hands out little white envelopes on game day. Ref’s are free to work in any league or level they want or someone is willing to give them an assignment for. Some ref's being more qualified or certified than others of course. Most ref's we see are loyal to certain winter leagues and as such get their regular assignments be it BBY, FVSL, VMSL, Richmond etc...

Currently, paying more will only have the same ref's getting more money and doing the same job. Ref fees were just raised a year or so ago and there was almost an internal riot. Technically, I guess, you can push to pay them as much as your heart desires because at the end of the day the teams/players are ultimately paying them. The leagues are only managing and assigning them to your games. If you don't want your ref fees for the year to basically double as you're describing, you will have to get your respective leagues to make up the difference. Good luck with that one! The odd's of you getting a local league to take on the management on what would now be “staff”, deal with payroll, taxes… no chance. AND the likelihood of those cheques being accepted is pretty bloody slim.

On the education side, BC Soccer certifies them, hosts their yearly re-fresher and is ultimately is in charge of their certification and training. My suggestion is you need to speak to them if you wanted updated education and standards... They have a full time staff member for it. You would also need to go to them to push some of their young new referees to ref in the adult environment instead of say HPL, college, university or any other programs they send them too.
This post is very much appreciated. I will try to talk with the BC Soccer referee development coordinator.
You know. Yesterday, we had the Multicultural League Association meeting. I was not the one that brought the issue. At least three teams started to complain about the quality of refereeing. Some went on and on about games completely ruined because the referee would stay in the central circle. We specifically requested to have more referee choices.

I grant that they have a point when they say that young referees might not handle the abuse, but you know, some young guys will learn and will adapt.

The more that I talk to people, and read posts, and receive feedback, the more that I realized that we have an entrenched system that is keeping their salaries low (for the highly qualified ones) and high (for the ones that are productive). Their labour supply relatively restricted. It is not free competition

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach weren't you saying that you are a small poor club that can barely afford to pay ref fees and now you want to increase ref fees??? How deep are your pockets???

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jesus $125 a game? So what are we looking at then $250-$300 for a ref and linesmen. Now let's throw in the cost for
Turf and lights. fcuk sakes we are getting close to $400 for a home game. Seems like a sustainable model.

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well.....when you have HPL League player fees start @$2000 a season and higher.Soccer use to cost $100-150 $$ to register . The exact same coaches from lower levels went on to HPL teams and coach there and get paid.So why should the officials not get a good match fee.
The match can't start without a referee,correct ? Where was the position of technical director 15-20 years ago,not existent.....you get my point i am sure here by now.......
bulljive - how much do your soccer shoes cost? are they still the same $100 shoes of the 90'$ ?

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver home games now are $250 div 1
Premier $270
Only someone that knows nothing of running a club
Would come up with Ridiculously large fee increase
Collecting player fees paying ref fee every week
Paying Vmsl registration fees
Paying city of Vancouver parks board field rentals
Having said this our refs do a excellent job
But this increase soccer coach suggests is not
Possible
Maybe reverse psychology on his part
As he thinks Referees are conspiring against him
It would help to suggest fee increase

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jesus $125 a game? So what are we looking at then $250-$300 for a ref and linesmen. Now let's throw in the cost for
Turf and lights. fcuk sakes we are getting close to $400 for a home game. Seems like a sustainable model.
You can not have low wages and expect a good quality product. It is as simple as that. The league has a surplus. They can either lower the registration fees so the teams play the referees directly or the league can subsidize the games. Either way, there was a surplus accumulated from the work of the referees.

Nov 25, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can not have low wages and expect a good quality product. It is as simple as that.
You cannot have high wages and expect a good quality product either. If at the highest level in Europe full time professional and highly trained referees are missing calls and making mistakes that change games entirely on a regular basis, how can we expect VMSL referees not to? I think our expectations of VMSL refs is probably unrealistic given that most of us agree they generally do a good enough job.

Given the costs associated with running a team/club these days, it is not realistic to increase wages. I think teams and especially coaches need to instill a mentality and expectation of dealing with referees' mistakes and simply getting on with the game (which a lot of premier teams actually have). Besides, I think more often than not in any given season, the calls that go for and against you balance themselves out and you end up where you deserve in the league based on your level of consistency.

Last edited:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right now somewhere there is a ref forum with ref's complaining about coaching, tactics and the skill of the local player, I just know it. Who the hell is coaching these guys they're saying? Why has he left that plug on for so bloody long, he useless! They need to find money to find better players! Imagine a world if a ref complained to a player and let him know what he was thinking every time he played an absolutely impossible, "what the fack were you thinking"? threw ball that goes into touch? Again. Or has a go at the player when his man who has just run by him for the 10th time in 5 minutes, only to shout for OFF-SIDE to save his ass? My favorite, the first touch that went so far away it put him in the 40/60 tackle he just lost and complained for a foul about?

You're right, ref's at this level do deserve more money.

...on either forum Im still a Cnut, no doubt.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe soccer coach could try paying the refs he likes more at the beginning of each game, and see how that goes

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0