Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Poker - sport or not a sport?

Is poker a sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most pro poker players are great golfers not that that matters but i thought I would mention it...Also Poker is no way a FAD....its been going on longer than many other sports and because of the internet and the prize pools now on the PPT its only getting bigger...Hell the amount of home games is staggering. I play poker everyday and have to arrive early to get a seat with no end in sight. I personally wouldnt call poker a sport but game and sport are so close that it really doesnt matter to me. It is definately not gambeling as the same few players are always at the final table so luck is not a factor.
Ya maybe if you have nothing to play for, but when your ass is on the line(your whole pay check) or a shti load of money....the better player will win. Playing heads up with any pro you may think luck and good cards will allow you a win but if it was life or death...the better player will win. For real poker you need to have alot on the line...playing for quarters is when luck comes in..not when your playing for something that matters.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you're saying it's comparable to a sport when it involves significant amounts of money?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously it's beyond a stupid argument. Poker is not sport. Full stop. There is absolutely nothing athletic about it. It’s percentage math with a money kicker.

And poker is fad. It just won't go away. Like Regs' acid wash jeans.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You watch, they're making a comeback and won't you look the fool then.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually poker isn't the fad; it's just the Texas Hold'em version that is.

Ghouse, you could make the same argument about chess - yes, the better players are always the ones left at the end, but neither is a sport.

Here's another good definition for you: anything you can play while holding a beverage and not have to worry about said beverage being spilled is not a sport.:D

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Here's another good definition for you: anything you can play while holding a beverage and not have to worry about said beverage being spilled is not a sport.:D

We think alike Trece...that's exactly what comes to mind when you think about poker, bowling, darts, bocce, and even golf!

Who cares if it is considered a "sport" or not. A sport is just a game with rules. The question should really be....are these guys athletes? That's why this argument always arose with Nascar and F1 drivers.

You definitely do not have to be athletic or coordinated in any way to play poker.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0