Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Players registrated with more than one league in BCSA

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Players registrated with more than one league in BCSA

This seems to be a bit of an issue lately in senior soccer and not knowing how many people are aware of it, I thought now would be a good time to bring it up for a bit of a debate here on TTP.

The following was sent to me by a member of the soccer community who wishes to remain annonymous. There are quite a few questions posed, what do the members here think?

Personally, I've often wondered what role the BCSA serves/provides in terms of structure for our senior leagues other than 'hosting' provincial finals. Could/should more be done?

Apparently this has been a problem for many years, that players are registrated with BCSA in more than one winter league, at least here in the lower mainland.

What is the responsibilities of BCSA with regards to this?

What are the respective leagues' responsibilities?

Is there anything in black and white in the BCSA regulations? or the leagues' regulations?

Does BCSA not care about this because it is more money in their bank account (Registration Fees)?

Is there any punishment to the players participating in more than one league?

Last year, there were rumours circulating that some players were registered with a 1st div. team in the VMSL and at the same time, playing with a team in the Vancouver Island league (VISL).

This year so far, there are players in first div. (VMSL) playing in two leagues, more though this is very common in the second div. of the CVMSL where some players play there and then go and play for a team in the Burnaby league (Burnaby league play their games on Sat after 5pm and on Sun after 5pm - VMSL plays the majority of the games at 2 pm).

So who is there to blame for this? More important is to find the solution to this, but how?

Should the BCSA, as a main body for soccer in the province, take a resolution about this?

Is there a difference between winter and summer leagues?

Well apparently, in the summer, things are worse:

There are players that played in THREE leagues at the same time (is this a joke or what?) - This much is known for sure: a player had been seen playing in the:

Pacific Coast League
Chinese soccer league
Italian League or tournament (same)

As you can see, the player paid three times to BCSA and THEY DID NOT DISCOVER IT.

suckit

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think we should keep turning a blind eye as im part of the problem.
they're different leagues anyways.
most of the people addressing these issues havn't even played the fkng sport.
some people live and breath soccer and cant get enough of it.
i say LET THEM PLAY.

studsup

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Winter and summer are different IMO. I'm a summer slut and love to get in a game when I'm not at the cabin. So obviously I play when I can and with different teams. No problem in my book. It's not like their are provincial implications. Winter is a different story however.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Studsup. Summer shouldn't matter.

Winter on the other hand. One league. One team.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry to answer a question with yet another question(s) but...

Is the player playing in multiple leagues taking away from particpating players and teams in the respective leagues(ie taking away opportunities for other players to fill spots)

Is there an unfair advantage? (Perhaps, as this player would have more "game conditioning")

Does it really matter at this level of soccer?

Personally, unless the amount of "abuse" of this rule was such that it took opportunities away from players wanting to play, I don't think it matters. Purtians, obviously feel differently.

Dirty Daddy 3

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What if a player has a discipline problem in one league (ie. Larrson, N. Thompson, the entire AFC squad) should they still be eligible to participate in other leagues????

Not so Dirty Daddy

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
studsup said:
BONEFISH, If the unfit players want PT, hit the treadmill
My Thoughts exactly...

Dirty Daddy 3 said:
should they still be eligible to participate in other leagues????
If the issue is gross misconduct no, but if it is merely the accumulation of yellows, I do not think that it should matter.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs:

Too bizarre. BC Soccer put a lot of pressure on our league (WCOTSL) over the last couple of years to nail players who were doing this. As a result, we put rules on the books that if a player got caught doing this, his team would be fined $200 and lose 5 points. The player also gets suspended for 6 months (not sure what was supposed to happen to the player's other team). The problem is, though, that BC Soccer wasn't processing player registration forms until the break in mid-December, so we wouldn't receive notification that players were double-registered until the beginning of January.

I can understand why guys were doing it - you could play Over 35 at 10 AM Sunday morning, and if you were fit enough, play again for a VMSL team at 2 that afternoon. Speaking as a coach, I wouldn't condone this, though, as most of us would be too knackered to contribute realistically in the afternoon. Different, I guess, if your VMSL team plays on Saturday afternoon or Friday night.

A lot of this stopped when we started being able to CAT players with VMSL teams - guys can now do this legitimately. Discipline gets carried over between leagues now, so cards accumulated in one count in the other one too.

To answer Dirty Daddy's question, if you have a card that was serious enough for BC Soccer to get involved in it, it will affect your ability to play in any affiliated league. If however, you only get dinged for a red or accumulation of yellows, the worst that will happen is that some of your suspension could be carried over to the next season you play in that league.

Summer soccer is different, primarily because there are a lot more unaffiliated leagues operating. I normally play for 3 different teams every summer (all in different leagues), but can do so because they aren't affiliated leagues.

I guess the biggest issue for BC Soccer is where it does have an effect on Cup play - ie somebody playing in two leagues where teams could conceivably end up playing each other in a Provincial Cup game.

beerz,

stew :cool:

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
haha, the originator of this thread makes me smile.

I've talked about this topic before with friends. My view is that if a player is playing in the vmsl...and then wants to play in say the chinese league, then why not? there's no way that teams from these two leagues could ever play against eachother in cup or anything else. It's unfortunate because if a player wants to play in a competitive leauge like the vmsl, but at the same time wants to help develop the chinese league...then up to now, the player has been shxt out of luck.

Rivermouth

Oct 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe in the ONE PLAYER ONE LEAGUE philosophy, with the exception being if the league is a RECREATIONAL League (local community, play Saturdays). I think it should be okay for a Divisional League player to play Rec league if he so chooses, because like "suckit" said, "some people can't get enough of soccer" and would like to play all the time (I count myself in that category...if I could play all the time, I would).

TS

Jun 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
For winter, it should be one team in one league and nothing more. If it weren't, what's stopping a whole team from doubling up. The possibility of meeting each other in cup play is another valid point.
For summer, I think it should a total free-for-all. As long as the 2/3/4 leagues aren't associated with each other and there's no possbility of playing for one common trophy, then players should be allowed to play wherever they want as long as they pay their BC Soccer reg. fees. If BC Soccer were to limit things, I'm sure players would play under different IDs anyways, just to get a game in here or there. That gets dangerous when it comes to injuries, insurance, cards etc.
As an aside, I was told that our BC soccer registration carries with it some 'insurance policy.' Any idea what that pertains to? Is it applicable for serious injury/death/missed work etc?

TS

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TS:

BC Soccer's insurance covers damage that you do to yourself (or somebody else) on the field that your own insurance won't cover. In other words. you're supposed to use your own coverage first, and then submit the leftover costs to BC Soccer (Allsport, actually). BCSA's website has instructions for how to do this, along with the policy number you're supposed to use.

beerz,

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stew

How about this?

In NV there are 2 summer leagues

NSCL-affiliated winter/summer
Sportsmens league-Non affilliated.

Guy's play in both leagues. This year the sportsmens league(a summer league) has decided to affiliate on C forms.

Can guy's still play in both leagues?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can guy's still play in both leagues?
Allegedly not at the same time, according to BCSA.

Oh joy.... :rolleyes:

How many players would this affect? Do you guys use C forms in the summer as well, or are the M forms being used year-round (they're supposed to cover a whole year)?

You might want to talk to Vic & Co. about this...

beerz,

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stew

I have only left 5 messages regarding this! I think their stumped, as the Sportsmens league is a summer only league.

We use M forms for the year. But you don't actually fill in forms anymore, all electronic registration.

Maybe max 50 of our players, play in that league. But all teams in SL, have players that play in other mid-week summer leagues.

This may impact their leagues decision to affiliate! If guy's decide to play with there winter teams, in a summer league.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Only 5? You undermotivated lazy boy!

Most of the other summer leagues would be non-affiliated, so that shouldn't be an issue...

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Players registrated

I'd have thought most lads would have a difficult time playing football if registrated but I concede it has been four years since I played football in Vancouver. How things change...... eunuchs used to be confined to the 'Lomas.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fasty:

Thank goodness you caught that one. I shudder to think what would have happened if BC Soccer forced us all to become registrated next season - especially electronically.
eunuchs used to be confined to the 'Lomas
As far as I know, they still are...

ttfn,

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts