Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Plagiarism Corner

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Case 1:

Nikka Costa's "Everybody Got Their Something" versus Garbage's "Cherry Lips".

A law suit is certainly in order.

Case 2:

Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun" versus Third Eye Blind's "Never Let You Go".

Sheryl can be hot sometimes, so I support her on this one. Take those Third Eye bastards to the bank. Get your own riff.

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, you might want to check the realease dates (or better yet, copyright dates) of Crow's generic 3 chord good-time tune and Third Eye's "never let you go". If memory serves, "never let you go" was released well in advance of your "hot one's" tanning song.

Frankly, I'd suggest drawing similarities to those songs is a stretch at best anyway.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A very, very short stretch.

I didn't know, so I suggest supporting her because I like her better. I stand firm regardless of release dates.

Onelessstar, good spot with yours.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even worse...

Forget just lyrics and the odd song or two. What about the whole friggin band. Example...Canada's own Bear Naked Ladies. At best a poor mans version of The Housemartins. At worst, they pinched concepts, image, tunes and lyrics...in short the whole bloody package...

Happy Hour for them indeed. Happy bloody career more like.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what a good place to be, oh no, don't believe her.........

Gaffa, I think you'll find that Canada's favourite fcukwits the Barenaked Ladies took ver Housemartin's chorus to Happy Hour in a fit of glorious irony. Or not. As far as I know the Ladies come from Eastern Canada and, one can only assume, went to the very same school of irony as Canada's favourite proponent of the wimmin's movement, sandals, angst and misplaced ennui Alanis 'Div.2 Debbie Gibson as a youth' Morissette.

As far as blatant rip-offs go one need look no further than the little known Travis b-side, 'Hit me Baby One More Time'. It's almost the same as the Britney Spears version. Except done by Travis. That's a world exclusive, by the way.

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm on to Travis as well ...

Another of Travis' blatant rip-off is "Nobody Does It Better". If you check your Bond movie archives, you'll find Carly Simon's rendition of a hauntingly similar song. Ironically, the line "nobody does it half as good as you" leaves one wondering if a rip-off attempt was inevitable.

One of my all time faves in the plagiarism category is Vancouver’s favourite punk chick Biff Naked. Her single “Daddy’s Getting Married” not only steals the tempo, chord progression, lead guitar licks, drum fills, and vocal melodies from The Smashing Pumpkins’ “Today”, but she even has the audacity to repeat the line “TODAY is the big day” as if to draw even MORE attention to the plagiarism. Frankly I’m surprised her video for the tune didn’t depict the shameless bitch riding around in an old ice-cream truck splashing paint on unsuspecting desert dwellers.

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts