Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Peg at Nationals

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just added 4 more pictures including a great shot of Jinky's PK vs Quebec.

Cheers,

~Regs.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
well done regs and pegs! proved yourselves,pegs & westside find a way to win there is not too many other teams that accomplish what these teams do!

Its been an emotional 2 weeks for me!

sid :( :(

cheers

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Surrey Now

Surrey Now Newspaper said:
Surrey's Pegasus soccer club rules Canada

By Tom Zillich

Hurricane-force winds on Prince Edward Island did little to slow two Surrey-based soccer clubs, which stormed their way through the national championships over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The Pegasus FC premier men's squad earned Surrey's first-ever national soccer championship title Monday with a 4-3 shootout victory over Ontario reps Ottawa Royals. The game remained scoreless through two overtime sessions and super-strength cross winds, brought on by the tail end of Hurricane Nicole.

"I weigh 240 pounds, and it was so windy I could barely stand up out there (on the sidelines)," said Surrey Youth club chairman Roy Mitchell.

Unbeaten in their four round-robin games in Charlottetown, the B.C. champs netted penalty-kick goals from Gavin Frey, Robin Regnier, Paul Dailly - an ex-Vancouver White Cap midfielder who played despite a broken nose - and player-of-the-week Jamie Fiddler. In the process, the tight-knit Pegasus became the first B.C. team in 21 years to win the treble: the Imperial Cup, the Provincial Cup, and the national Challenge Cup gold.

On the women's side, Surrey United took home bronze after a 5-1 kicking of Quebec's Lac St. Louis Lakers in Monday's final game. Martina Holen-Franco scored three goals, with singles from Vanessa Martino and Megan Blaker. The Surrey women completed the round-robin session of the tournament with three wins and one loss, to eventual second-place finishers Athens United of Nova Scotia.

From the start, the Pegasus men were a determined and disciplined bunch of over-20 players. The Newton Athletic Park-based team, which has 11 Surrey players and 11 others from north of the Fraser River, went to Charlottetown with gold in mind.

"A lot of teams go there to party on a big road trip, but they showed unbelievable discipline," said Chris Costley, team "mom" and mother of Pegasus midfielder Adam Costley.

"They were the talk of the tournament."

At 21, Costley is part of the younger-generation players on Pegasus, several veterans of which are looking to hang up their cleats after winning national gold.

For Mitchell and others, the Canadian title was a dream come true.

"That was my final goal in soccer," said Mitchell, who says he's "stepping back" from Surrey Youth club duties "to let young blood step up."

"I've been in soccer for 23 years," he said, "and this was incredible - the most pleasant group of people, a great bunch of guys. I haven't had the best year, so this is really nice. This is my Ray Borque moment, my John Elway."

In June, Mitchell was handed a conditional discharge - meaning no criminal record - in Surrey provincial court for an assault at a game two years ago, involving a suspended Delta player at an April 7, 2002, match at Newton Athletic Park.

Also in 2002, Mitchell had been charged for a separate incident that allegedly took place in Chilliwack involving the president of the Surrey-based Fijian Soccer League. In that case, he allegedly uttered threats to Taj Mohammed when the two saw each other at a gas station. That case didn't proceed to trial after Mitchell agreed to sign a peace bond, which was not an admission of guilt.

An inspiration for Pegasus FC has been player Sean Murphy, a 20-year-old Surreyite who died in a car crash in June 2001 at Highway 10 at 132nd Street, where a white cross stands in his honour. The much-decorated Murphy played for Pegasus in club soccer from minis to men's premier league, and at the time of the accident was preparing for his second season with Simon Fraser University men's soccer team.

"On the last shot of the game," said an emotional Mitchell, "I asked him to help us win, and he did."

Pegasus goalkeeper Steve London made a superb save in the penalty-kick session on the way to victory. Ottawa missed their final penalty kick.

The club got off to a fast start at the nationals Oct. 6 by defeating the Nova Scotia champions, Halifax Celtic, by a 3-2 score. The Haligonians took the early lead but Pegasus fought back for the equalizer from Nico Berg on a set-up by Mike Dodd, who later scored two goals of his own.

A day later, Pegasus ripped Fundy United, the New Brunswick champions, by a decisive 6-1 count. Dailly, on a penalty kick, gave the B.C. champs the lead, which lasted only a few minutes as Fundy bounced back to draw level. Dodd restored the lead before halftime. The second half belonged entirely to the Surrey lads as Stedman Espinosa, Laurent Scaligine, Ryan Powell, and Fiddler scored unanswered goals.

On Friday, against the highly-rated Quebec Panellinios, Pegasus scored a decisive 3-0 victory. Dodd opened the scoring late in the first half-with his 4th goal of the tournament. Midway through the second half, young Stedman Espinosa was tripped inside the Quebec box and Dailly made no mistake from the penalty mark. Late in the game Dailly put the result out of reach with a heater of a free kick from outside the penalty area.

Sunday, Pegasus fought back from a 2-0 halftime deficit to beat Newfoundland champs, Marystown United, by a 4-2 score. Costley came in as a substitute in the second half and quickly restored parity with two impressive goals. Fiddler scored the winner late in the game, while veteran Frey scored the insurance marker on a penalty kick in the game's dying moments.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sliver,

I thought the same thing when I read it... I suppose that's why the writer is a hack for a small community newspaper and not for a larger, more esteemed paper... like The Province :rolleyes:

:D

~Regs.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was the court/ criminal charge stuff really necessary?
This is Surrey remember...I guess since the lads acted in a respectable professional manner back east, the press didn't want to portray any team or residents of surrey that they have a bunch of Gentlemen in their community!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice article otherwise TOM ZILLICH......Ya Moron!!! :mad:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts