Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PCSL 2016

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like the Women's Premier Division will be "re-activated" for 2016.

Anyone attend the AGM back in November? Any news on clubs leaving or joining?

EDIT: Oops, my fat fingers typed "CPSL" instead of "PCSL" for the thread title. @Regs, could you please fix? Seems I'm not allowed to amend the title. :asshat:

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
2016 PCSL season to run May 7th - July 18th.
Challenge Cup scheduled for July 23-24.
No games will be scheduled for Lower Mainland teams for the weekend of July 16-17 (Nations Cup).

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
2016 men's schedule has been released. Only six teams left. Victoria back to USL PDL, while Abbotsford Mariners and FC Tigers have dropped out.

Supposedly the women's division is back this year, but no schedule yet. I'm not holding my breath.

Kinda sad to see what was once a league that extended across the Cascadia region be reduced to a summer beer league for barely a handful of teams.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's too expensive for clubs to run. And summer commitment is out the drain after 8 months of commitment to your main club team.
It needs to turn in to a u23 developmental summer league for clubs. Lower the rate and perhaps teams buy in.
But the travel and all is nuts. Maybe two sides with a greater Vancouver division and an interior division?

Who knows. I'm out.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The CSA is supposedly keen to see D3 leagues in every province. Our weather allows us to play during the winter, but will the VMSL, FVSL and VISL be enough to satisfy the CSA?

On another note, I see that on the day of the Euro 2016 final (which kicks off at 12:00 noon PT), there are PCSL matches in Vancouver scheduled for 2:00 pm and 2:30 pm. ACBC all over again. :p

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another note, I see that on the day of the Euro 2016 final (which kicks off at 12:00 noon PT), there are PCSL matches in Vancouver scheduled for 2:00 pm and 2:30 pm. ACBC all over again. :p

And perhaps this gives you a clue as to why the league is in its current state

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The PCSL started losing relevance about 10 years ago, if not longer. @knvb, you guys were quite involved about then, how did you find the level back then compared to the VMSL Premier League?

Lion is quite right...after a long season, plus Provincials for many of the prospective teams, guys want time off. Maybe a U23 league is the future, but I'm not sure even what that accomplishes.

It may be that, once the new CSL Div. 2 Professional League get legs that the natural evolution will be the VMSL, FVSL, and VISL Premier divisions playing through spring / summer, as they should be.

Bottom line, the PCSL is a dinosaur, at least on the men's side. Stick a fork in it...maybe they should just focus on the women's game.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the level was good, really good at times... all-star like at points with teams like Gorge & Vantrights etc basically combining to make one really good team on the island. Seattle was major power as well. Khalsa started doing it too in the later stages pulling in the various talent living in Vancouver/Burnaby. Its obviously tailed off dramatically in the last 10 years. Cost is the big one with what you get and paying for... yeesh. Commitment to play all year around, is killer as @LION said. Travel on top of it. No thanks. The tired cliche applys... you can't get young guys to buy into team/club, pints, friendships let alone drag them to the Blue Muel for a night out after thrashing @Gomesy16 and Pentiction.

Honestly, I would never slag the PCSL, such a huge part of my playing days, but times change and you have to adjust the way you do things and I guess they've not. Other organizations are heading the same way too, but I digress...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The league used to have some prestige as almost a semi-pro league, especially with the cross border games. I remember just a few years ago they even convinced BC soccer to give them a Prov A Cup spot. Now though the league really just seems like much ado about nothing. Lots of travel now as well with only 6 teams (3 lower mainland, 2 interior, 1 island).

Heard a rumour that RRSL has rebounded with an influx of new teams this season? Perhaps teams are looking at that as a more casual, yet competitive option??

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The league used to have some prestige as almost a semi-pro league, especially with the cross border games. I remember just a few years ago they even convinced BC soccer to give them a Prov A Cup spot. Now though the league really just seems like much ado about nothing. Lots of travel now as well with only 6 teams (3 lower mainland, 2 interior, 1 island).

Heard a rumour that RRSL has rebounded with an influx of new teams this season? Perhaps teams are looking at that as a more casual, yet competitive option??
RRSL is good football with only games in Richmond Tuesday & Thursdays

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By coincidence VMSL B cup champs
Campo and there Illustrious coach will be playing Thursday night
RRSL

I'm looking forward to that first Thursday evening game against this Campo powerhouse. Was from the VMSL Rinos, Metropolitan and Westside are joining the Thursday nights, along with Quest U.

To stay on topic, I was speaking with a mate who is involved with VUFC and he mentioned that most lads within this particular squad feel it's still a competitive league, but for the most part, they all work together, so it's easy for them to stick together and 'just play' in this league, versus playing elsewhere, for example the RRSL. He also mentioned last year was tough, with the season being 16 games, and more often then not having to do back to backs.

As stated before, that level of commitment, coming off a winter campaign, can be a struggle to maintain.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the first mens game is in the books.

VUFC 3-2 Vancouver Thunderbirds.

crickets-gif-258.gif

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
upload_2016-7-11_6-33-0.png
I *think* Thunderbirds won the league over the weekend with a 4-1 win over the Mariners.

This league is on it's death bed...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts