Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PCSL 2015

Tedward

Jul 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, but have you met the esteemed leaders of the other leagues?

Nope, but that is kinda my point. The PCSL has long pretended to be above those leagues. Clearly this has not been true and I wish I was not so slow to see this but not living on the mainland I was really disappointed to see how they are nothing more than another recreational league with delusions of grandeur.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nope, but that is kinda my point. The PCSL has long pretended to be above those leagues. Clearly this has not been true and I wish I was not so slow to see this but not living on the mainland I was really disappointed to see how they are nothing more than another recreational league with delusions of grandeur.

OK, now you are being a bit harsh.

The local leagues know what they are, which are, amateur soccer leagues, with divisions from truly recreational levels (i.e.: Div 4, 3) upward to a fairly high caliber Premier division that I would not call "Rec". The PCSL falls into that later category. The players at the top levels of these leagues are quality, and for the most part are victims of being born on the wrong continent. Our opportunities, as you know, fall off the map at 17, unless some of us go on to play post secondary. Even after that, it's the end of the dream. For those better players whom want to keep playing, but don't have either a passport to go overseas, the means, or a connection...where do they go? The VMSL, FVSL, VISL and yes, the PCSL serve a need for that caliber of a player.

If you are telling me the quality of play and player you watched out there was "Rec", now you are the delusional one, and frankly, unappreciative of the quality that you were watching. So what if the league officials were dicks to you? Who fcuking cares? Good for you that you wanted to support your squad. It's cool. But now you are tearing down the players in the league whom are all there because they want to maintain as high a standard a play as is available IN THE SUMMER, to keep them sharp for either their winter premier squads, or University / College squad. It's not their fault that their league president is an ass-hat.

No, the PCSL is not a "semi-pro" league.

No, I don't believe it is of the same quality as the VMSL, FVSL, or VISL Premier divisions.

But, it's pretty good, and there are some quality players, whom in other geographical circumstances would likely be playing professionally.

So, maybe I'm going back a bit on my statement that "Is this league even relevant anymore", but I guess what I'm reading from you, specifically labelling it a "Rec" league, is drawing my ire just a tad.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty sure the post had nothing to do with the quality of players, at least that's what I got out of it.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

:wa:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously, Regs? When you were a young player playing for Peg, and looking for an opportunity on the 86ers, would you have appreciated someone labelling you as a "Rec league" player?

It's an uneducated statement.

Besides, no cornflakes. I'm a bachelor right now. The fam are living in Whistler for the summer. Breakfast consists on a spoon full of Nutella, and a tall glass of ice water. No milk in the fridge, and the cereal is all up there.

Tedward

Jul 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you are telling me the quality of play and player you watched out there was "Rec", now you are the delusional one, and frankly, unappreciative of the quality that you were watching.

fcuk me. Why do I even bother?

My whole point has been the fact that the league operations and leadership are Mickey-fcuking-Mouse. The reason I am upset and disappointed is because these players deserve so much better. You are totally right that in a real soccer nation they would be earning a living (or close to it) in the third and fourth divisions instead of being hidden away in kiddy recreational parks by incompetent old men whose knowledge of professional soccer is 50 years out of date.

I support and appreciate the players, even the bastards that beat us. ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When he says "they", I'm pretty sure he is meaning the people who RUN the league, not those who are actually playing it.

Cheers,

Regs.

PS. I was never "young" when with Peg :eek:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough to both of you...but I do take exception to you labelling it "Rec" league. When I think "Rec", I think of Ultimate Frizbee. All mismatched guys in bibs, trying to play a sport, but failing miserably at it.

It's not Rec league. We deal with what we have available, and do our best with it. Sure the players deserve better, but it is what...it is. (I hate that saying).

Attachments

• Rec league.jpg
    Rec league.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep in mind @Tedward is used to the games on the island, where the Victoria Highlanders treat the team in a professional manner.

http://www.victoriahighlandersfc.com/

They get a decent amount of fans, sponsorship, and the team is run in a professional way.

Coming over here he probably expected the same from the clubs on the mainland, but instead was treated to a great view of the train tracks in a out of the way industrial location.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we change the Bag of Dicks symbol? The X is too angry. I'm a lover, not a fighter. Something like this?

Also, we need a self-like button, or at least allowances to self-like.

Typing it in is too tedious.

LIKE x 1 (Dude)

Attachments

• sausage-bag_0.jpg
    sausage-bag_0.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 13
  • sausage-bag_0.jpg
    sausage-bag_0.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 12

Tedward

Jul 28, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
The biggest issue, which is not addressed in this article is where does the funding come from?

To create a D3 league? Where it always comes from: ticket sales and sponsorships. OK, and a few foolhardy men with too much money and a romantic notion of being team owners. ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Good thing I am wearing the RF secret decoder ring.

The, erm, prospect you speak of has the winning combination:

~Parents w/ dough to support his HPL career.
~Parents with a good friend in the UK who actively involved in the local scene, and has connections at professional clubs / universities.
~Parents w/ lineage and a UK passport.
~Is a helluva good player, with a good head on his shoulders, and with ambition, who warrants the opportunity on merit.

The shitty thing is, if one of the three of those conditions were unable to be met, this prospect would likely not have the opportunity currently being presented to him.

That's our lot over here, and I don't think guys from overseas quite get it till they get here.

We have players! We have clubs! We have some quality! We have massive dysfunction at the top levels, and we have massive level of emotional detachment outside immediate soccer circles. It's an uphill battle, in the snow, in barefeet, for our best players.

Yet many still chase a dream, and DO deserve better. Then when they don't realize it, still play a very high level for as long as they can in the local premier leagues...while holding down jobs, and starting families. A very good standard. That's why the term "rec league", that has been coined mostly by guys who've never played the game at any serious level, but follow it closely, rankles me. Amateur, yes. Rec? Hell no.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts