Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Osieck resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From CBC today:

Osieck resigns as Canadian soccer coach
WebPosted Tue Sep 2 13:33:51 2003
CBC SPORTS ONLINE - After meeting with the head of the national soccer program, Holger Osieck felt it was time to walk away from Canada's men's soccer team.

Holger Osieck has stepped down as Canada's national soccer coach. (CP Photo)
Over the weekend, Osieck met for an evaluation session with Canadian Soccer Association president Andy Sharpe. On Tuesday, Osieck announced he was resigning his position as head coach of Team Canada.

"I'm not the national team coach, technical director any more," said Osieck, whose record as Canadian coach was 20-17-9.

"I decided to resign from my position."

An assistant coach with Germany's World Cup-winning team in 1990, Osieck was hired in 1998 and immediately re-invigorated Canada's soccer program.

In February 2000, he led the Canadian side to a surprise Gold Cup title, the CONCACAF championship. The tournament victory propelled Canada into 55th spot in FIFA's world soccer rankings -- an all-time high.

But instead of building on that triumph, Canada's national program seems to have regressed. Osieck's team was humiliated in qualifying for the 2002 World Cup and Canada has fallen back to 78th in the world rankings.

Still, just months from failing to to guide Team Canada to a World Cup berth, Osieck signed a contract extension that was expected to keep him with the program until 2006.

"I wish to take this opportunity to thank Holger publicly for his commitment and accomplishments with the men's World Cup team," said Sharpe. "Both sides agreed that it was time for us to move in a new direction."

The CSA said it will begin a search for a replacement immediately. Assistant coach Colin Miller, a former Canadian international, will handle the team for the Oct. 11 friendly against Finland in Tampere.

A new head coach is expected to be in place by December 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0