Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Options for streaming TV

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The woman was surprised that we are paying $170 plus dollars a month for TV and internet. I was surprised that if we are paying $170 dollars a month for the last four years how is it she is just finding out now.

Anyway I promised I would check into options for streaming and was wondering what people are using and how it effects sports watching. I mostly just watch hockey and soccer but I usually have to PVR games so I can watch them when I have time. Do games normally have local blackouts? How much are people paying per month without getting cable and is it worth the savings? Any info people have will be appreciated.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
STD, another option is to call your provider and ask for the loyalty department and threaten cancel your service. If you have been a long time customer, they always will knock off some money from your bill. Thus, if on Telus, tell them Bell offered you a better deal and you want to cance.

I have gotten money off my cable (Bell $10 per month) phone and internet(Telus $20 per month) and cell phone this this way. Just a thought. Usually they will do around $20 to $40 per month depending on your bill size, and it only takes 5 mins of your time.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks guys and yeah Gurps I was going to start to compare different packages from different cable providers to see who is the cheapest and I will remember to ask to get a discount from Shaw, who I am with right now, but the woman feels we can dump cable all together and just use internet. I am a little skeptical and worried I will blame her when I can't watch a game when I want to watch a game. Also do you normally stream through your computer, PS3 or do you have another devise for streaming?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally don't stream much as two kids eat up all my time and just stick to cable and PVR, but when I do stream fights etc that are not on cable I just hook up the laptop to the TV via HDMI and have not had any issues.

As for the reliability of streaming sites, not sure how good they are, some of the more techy guys on here probably know better as I don't get many chances to test them out.

All the cables channels in my house are perma locked to the disney channel and treehouse due to the kids.:cool:

However, if you subscribed to something like Netflix, then just streamed sports, at least you would always have some TV all the time. Your movies and some tv shows would be covered for little cost.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
STD, another option is to call your provider and ask for the loyalty department and threaten cancel your service. If you have been a long time customer, they always will knock off some money from your bill. Thus, if on Telus, tell them Bell offered you a better deal and you want to cance.

I have gotten money off my cable (Bell $10 per month) phone and internet(Telus $20 per month) and cell phone this this way. Just a thought. Usually they will do around $20 to $40 per month depending on your bill size, and it only takes 5 mins of your time.

Hate to tell you this Gurps but that only works for brown people...My son inlaw calls and gets discounts on his Telus bill all the time.

He tells me about it so I give it a shot and they laugh at me and say no!

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sportsbun.com is also decent for sports, I mostly use it for ufc but it's hit and miss. MLS have MLS live for $60 a year I believe but most only watch their local team and the occasional other match. Cable is always solid though when you want to watch shows like house hunters and wonder why you can get a mansion on a golf course in Rhode island for 200k and here you can get a turbo diesel ram for the same price.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts