Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Canada, poor Bangladesh

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian plumber stuns Bangladesh

DURBAN, Feb 11, 2003 (Reuters)

Dread locked plumber Austin Codrington took five wickets to inspire Canada to the first major upset of the World Cup on Tuesday as they beat test nation Bangladesh by 60 runs.

The 27-year-old took five for 27 as Bangladesh, chasing Canada's modest 180 all out, struggled on a bouncy pitch before being dismissed for 120 in 28 overs.

Hannan Sarkar and Sanwar Hossain, both with 25, were the only batsmen to offer any resistance as the Canadians backed up Codrington's accurate outswing bowling with sharp fielding in the Group B encounter.

"I am absolutely thrilled," said Canada captain Joseph Harris. "It's the first World Cup win for Canada and hopefully we can keep going in the same way.

"We just had to hope that our total was enough and, once we got early wickets, we had to keep the pressure on.

"The boys have worked hard to prepare for this tournament and it showed today. They fielded really well and the bowlers were magnificent."

Jamaica-born Codrington was delighted to celebrate his first five-wicket haul for Canada.

"In the conditions, all I had to do was bowl in the channel just outside off-stump, maintain line and length often enough and then good things would come," he said. "And they did."

FOOLISH RUNOUTS

Ian Billcliff top-scored for Canada with 42 but was one of two run-outs as the North Americans failed to bat out their full 50 overs.

The 30-year-old Billcliff, who has played provincial cricket in New Zealand, struck six fours in 63 balls before batting partner Ashish Bagai called him for a run in the 37th over, then refused to move.

Billcliff's dismissal followed that of St. Kitts-born Desmond Chumney, who blasted a quickfire 28, with three fours and a six, before running himself out in the 15th over.

Canada, whose only other World Cup appearance came in 1979, had made a flying start against some wayward Bangladesh bowling, reaching 70 for two before Chumney's departure triggered a collapse.

Bangladesh, the 10th and most recent addition to the test-playing nations, came into the match expecting to beat Canada convincingly.

The Bangladeshis, awarded test status in 2000, have not won a one-day international for 27 matches, a wretched run dating back to the 1999 World Cup in England.

Bangladesh produced one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history with their 62-run victory over Pakistan in 1999.

Isn't it wonderful. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that we pulled off a HUGE upset over those bastards from Bangladesh. They probably didn't know what hit'em. And a plumber beat them at that. It's probably not that fair though because they probably don't even have plumbers in Bangladesh let alone plumbers who double as world class cricketers.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I could be wrong (and I don't care if I am) but I believe Bangladesh play Test cricket and we don't.

I think that makes this an enormous upset.

Well done Canada.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tosser........

Isn't it wonderful. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that we pulled off a HUGE upset over those bastards from Bangladesh. They probably didn't know what hit'em. And a plumber beat them at that. It's probably not that fair though because they probably don't even have plumbers in Bangladesh let alone plumbers who double as world class cricketers.

Could you be any more ignorant? You ever represented Canada at anything other than supreme benightedness? Fcuking twat.

Well done Canada, indeed.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
unprecedented.............

History-making............

Group B Standings
Canada 4
Sri Lanka 4
West Indies 4
South Africa 4
New Zealand 0
Bangladesh 0
Kenya 0

Canada Fixtures
v Bangladesh (W)
Feb 15: v Kenya
Feb 19: v Sri Lanka
Feb 23: v West Indies
Feb 27: v South Africa
Mar 3: v New Zealand

Canada's cricketers will go into the World Cup still feeling pretty pleased with themselves.

They booked their spot in the tournament by beating top seeds Scotland in the 2001 ICC Trophy third-place play-off - to the delight of a partisan crowd of 3,000 at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club.

The efforts of pace bowler Sanjayan Thuraisingham (five for 25) and opener Ishwar Maraj (50) carried them to a famous five-wicket victory which has belatedly given Canada their chance to make up for some unwanted World Cup history.

It was they who were responsible for the competition's lowest ever total - 45 against England at Old Trafford - in their only previous World Cup experience back in 1979.

They hope they are better equipped this time.

Maraj and Thuraisangham are joined in Canada's initial 2003 squad by captain Joe Harris and fellow frontline batsmen Nicholas De Groot, Muneeb Diwan and Desmond Chumney as well as off-spinner John Davison.

Canada's roll call has an exotic sound to it, and the backgrounds of many of its players do reflect the cosmopolitan appeal of the country.

Even 'ordinary Joe' Harris has an eastern connection, sharing Madras as his birthplace with another international captain - namely England's Nasser Hussain.

Should the pair wish to meet up to compare lineage during the World Cup, they could invite along Diwan who has played for Hussain's county Essex.

Diwan is not the only Canadian with first-class experience on his side. Harris has played for Barbados, Davison for Victoria and De Groot for Guyana - while Ian Billcliff has turned out for three different sides in New Zealand.

Canada needed all that pedigree to turn round an unfortunate chain of events which put their association in financial trouble as they prepared to host the ICC Trophy.

The cancellation of Pakistan and India's plans to play Sahara Cup matches in Toronto cast a cloud over the feasibility of staging the 24-team associate member competition in a country whose climate is far from reliable.

But it was against that background that a successful event was organised and Canada completed proceedings with their victory over Scotland.

The upward curve may suffer in southern Africa. But Canada, still on paper the weakest of the three associate member teams at the World Cup, have had the good fortune to fall into the slightly easier qualifying group.

The chances of them being bundled out for 45 again do at least appear remote.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't even ttp out of Bangladesh cricketers? Come on. Or what about Bangladesh plumbers? It's almost easier to wind up Brits than it is to get KNVB going. Almost.

Screw You Captain

Nov 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, but come on. That sport is the equivalent of biathalon, synchronized diving, or short track speed skating. None of which, I'm fairly certain, break for tea.:D

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ignorance is bliss.........

This has been so overdone on TTP over the years it's overly boring now but if you muppets knew the first thing about cricket you wouldn't be so quick to so impotently post bollocks under the pretense of piss-taking.

So I'm a Brit am I? Christ.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy Warney, ya big tub of goo... I'm still waiting for you to take over the site :rolleyes:

:D

~Regs.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Up the Reds!

Just a quick note to say a huge congrats to Joe and the rest of the team. For the uninterested TTPer the soccer equivilent would be the Canadian soccer team beating a top 10 footballing nation at the World Cup finals. Infact when you take into account all but one of the players are amatuer its even more of an achievement.

BTW, TTPs favorite son, Warney, only just missed out on selection.

Canada face Kenya on saturday.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go Canada!

Fcuk Dart,

How rude can you be? Cricket is a fast-moving sport, which sometimes only takes days to play. It was a HUGE win for our Canadian team. Can't you be happy for them? BTW, when does Saturday's match finish? I want to make sure I catch the end of it.

Could you be any more ignorant? You ever represented Canada at anything other than supreme benightedness? Fcuking twat

Easy, Mr. England. Your blood pressure is going to rise and that is not healthy. Calm down, take a deep breath, and go watch 3 days of cricket. That should calm you down. :p

Go Canada!

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
don't you fcuking start..........

Now I'm Mr. England too. Christ on a bicycle built for two.

It's just so fcuking painfully predictable when the likes of handi-dart start spouting off about things they know fcuk-all about.

Watch the final, Shamrock you wazzock. It, like all the other matches in the World Cup, will only take a day. Even a teacher's attention span should last that long.

Not only was Tuesday's win Canada's first ever, they're in with a good shout as they've got Kenya on Saturday. There's also the fact that if you look up their team online, the Canadians are a proper handsome bunch.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the uninterested TTPer the soccer equivilent would be the Canadian soccer team beating a top 10 footballing nation at the World Cup finals.
Perhaps if they were playing on sand :rolleyes: Seriously, the 'team' they beat has a record of something like 8 wins and 64 losses in one-day matches.

~Regs.

M

MCG

Test status

Regs,

Bangladesh's record is deceiving because they are regularly playing against some of the best teams in the world, because they have both one day and test status (Canada can only dream of attaining these). Don't be fooled, this is a big upset and it IS a really big deal for Canada, Bangladesh, and the ICC.

Go Canada!

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong Fastshow. The only thing that was
so fcuking painfully predictable
was the fact that you would jump all over anyone who would post against something that you have even a passing interest in. Dapotayto claims that US football players are great athletes, you jump all over him. Dude posts about biking, you're down his throat. The argument that this is TTP will not work here. I say good for Canada. I did actually read the article in the paper even though I, admitedly, had no clue what they were talking about. Does this mean that I can't make fun of them? No. Fukc, if Canada were world tiddly winks champions I would congratulate them but I would still make fun of it. Why not when it's such an obscure event compared to others in our country. The fact is that cricket doesn't register anywhere on Canada's sports map. Period. So if we go out and beat Bangladesh, perfect. Why the fukc shouldn't we beat Bangladesh. It's Banglafukcingdesh. And I think that it would only be similar to beating a top 10 nation at the world cup of soccer if Bangladesh was actually a top 10 nation in cricket.

BTW,handi-dartwasquitecreative,betterthanfukcdart

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually...

...Banglafukcingesh are the no 10 ranked team in the world. They are a professional team. Canada are a team of amateur part timers. My comparison was merely an attempt to show the anormity of the result our lads managed to attain.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As usual, Handi-Dart, Gaffa has a very good point and your last post could certainly be considered moot

Rank Country Rating
Australia

South Africa

New Zealand

Sri Lanka

India

England

Pakistan

West Indies

Zimbabwe

Bangladesh

Granted, only 17 countries play cricket.......Number 10 is nothing to sneeze at.........Sorry, Gaffa, but I feel the need......;)

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had you posted it before, your earlier comment would have made more sense. The point is though that when one thinks of Bangladesh, one doesn't really think that they have the means to beat Canada at anything. Including tiddly winks.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
membership is ever-growing......

Dapotayto claims that US football players are great athletes, you jump all over him. Dude posts about biking, you're down his throat.

Another fanclub member who commits my posts to memory. Were it not for my fanclub I'd never remember anything I'd ever written. I love you guys.

Swoon.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Disclaimer: this is not meant to be a piss-take.

Fasty or Gaffa: I know squat about Cricket. Can you explain to me how significantly different it is than baseball? I mean, specifically, how is it a more difficult game?

I’ve played baseball at a high level up to high school, and it is a tough game, physically and mentally. No, you don’t need to have the aerobic capacity as you do in soccer, but the skill required to hit a 80+ MPH fastball is significant, much less to place it, or park it. Same with fielding the ball with precision and speed. I’ve heard staunch cricket supporters TTP baseball, and I just want to know: how is it that much a tougher sport?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts