Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Numb from the Covid

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those people, eh?

brad richards what GIF

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's be clear - protesters ought not be tarred by the brush of a single idiot with a swastika. Moreover, the media actually tracked the guy down, and he made it crystal clear that he loathes swastikas and Nazis and the lot. The whole point was to equate Trudeau's current approach to it. Obviously grossly inaccurate and hyperbolic, but it's 100% acceptable speech in a liberal democracy.
On the one hand you seem to condemn swastika waving yet on the other hand your reply seems to justify it because it was for a good cause. Maybe you want to clarify what you meant above.

Please also note there was more than one person with a swastika. And there were people with U.S. confederate flags and dozens of people waving black flags with white lettering; similar to ISIS flags. Their flags said "fcuk Trudeau"

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
My MP tabled a motion in Parliament today that would fine people flying swastikas, KKK symbols and confederate flags.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My MP tabled a motion in Parliament today that would fine people flying swastikas, KKK symbols and confederate flags.

I need to hear from a Lawyer on this one.

@mtkb

Would you not have to rewrite the charter?
I'd think these people are protected under freedom of expression currently?

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vaccine protestors harassed staff at a vaccine clinic yesterday in new west yesterday and they broke a window at a vaccine clinic on monday in north vancouver. Unlike some people i will not justify their actions. The police shouldvarrestbthem and arrest thebtruckers blocking roads in alberta and ottawa. Thenlaw needs to be applied to everyone, including racists and protesting truckers.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
People breaking the law should be charged and fined.

People have the right to free assembly and freedom of expression in Canada. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for the Westboro Baptist types of the world. Ignore them. Don't feed the trolls. But that doesn't sell newspapers or give lefties the logical fallacy arguments to forgive Trudeau and his cronies their sins.

If you're going to call the Freedom Convoy 2022 racist, misogynist and bigoted because of a few folks you'll have to forgive me for calling BLM all about Arson and Looting. You'll forgive me for calling Occupy Wall Street and the other Tent Cities filthy drug soaked cesspools of human shite and urine.

See how this works? An ACTUAL "Small Fringe Minority, with Unacceptable Views" has gone and let the media call this group, protesting Illogical vaccine mandates, a bunch of racist, misogynist bigots.

1643989567912.png

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This thread is going off the rails (and has been for a bit now).

Can we stop the political comments and such? I don't fcuking care which way any of you lean on the political spectrum.

Basically, stay on topic or start a new thread.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, at risk of starting an argument on the internet, (if you think this should be a different thread please do carve this post off and start a new thread)

What specifically is off topic? Because the entire discourse is centered on Government(s) making illogical policy, and enforcing it broadly and harshly. You may be missing that Covid is purely political and now, no longer about healthcare.

I came back to TTP posting after a few years away because I saw that the TTP'ers here were having mostly respectful, thoughtful, and honest discussion about the entire thing, which is rare these days.

The fact is now there is consensus (except for some governments and the pharmaceutical co's) that the restrictions have largely been ineffective. The vaccine is now ineffective from stopping anyone from getting the dominant strain of Covid. Anyone that was vaxxed could still spread Covid... and yet the Governments persist with their illogical vaccine mandates.

These mandates are what the Freedom Convoy is about. Some folks and the media are cherry picking certain aspects or participants of the freedom convoy to change the channel on the issue at hand: Vaccine & mask Mandates, and Covid Restrictions MUST end... or Covid carries on in perpetuity.

No longer are people dying of covid, if they ever truly were to begin with. They're dying with covid due to myriad co-morbidities. (Statistically speaking) and people like Bonnie Henry are stating as much.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vaccine protestors harassed staff at a vaccine clinic yesterday in new west yesterday and they broke a window at a vaccine clinic on monday in north vancouver. Unlike some people i will not justify their actions. The police shouldvarrestbthem and arrest thebtruckers blocking roads in alberta and ottawa. Thenlaw needs to be applied to everyone, including racists and protesting truckers.
Ummmmm……having an opinion that “my body my choice” does not automatically mean people go to the extreme like this. Most people I know with a strong anti-vax opinion also very much understand that, by and large, we are all basically powerless in this pandemic…..no matter what the opinion. Most I know would not even consider radical action such as this.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortunately @Regs , this is on topic and fair game. Besides, this is my only safe place to rant, if you take this away, I’ll now have to call you and rant. We don’t want that.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t know about the mandates not working at all? It’s quite clear that it did. Honestly I haven’t gone 2 years without being sick my entire life before this last 2 years. Clearly the social distancing, masks etc had an effect. My wife works in the hospital yah people were dying from Covid. Was it Ebola? No but for people with children or family with health issues it was quite serious.

Feel how you feel about that. but all that sacrifice and future sacrifice(economically, mental health) is to hopefully get us here. A strain that’s much more like a flu for even the elderly/health compromised. Get the vaccine if you are and let’s move towards normalcy. Let’s navigate out of this.

Honestly spewing hate at Trudeau etc. Gets us nowhere. I’m with the actual trucker movement but let’s be honest is it far fetched to say 50% on this convoy are fcuking right wing nut extremists? I don’t think it’s the odd guy. Tell you what I look at my work of the 20 unvaccinated, maybe 3 I have full respect for their decision. Other 17 are idiots and wing nuts.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@bulljive you can say you don't know, but you can read the article stating that Johns Hopkins study indicates that the death rate was only impacted by about 0.2% due to the lockdowns/mandates. The University is one of the most prestigious and world renown research academies. They reviewed 34 discrete studies and came to these findings.

Now the media and others with a vested interest are trying to criticize this paper... what we can do is follow the bouncing ball that says every time someone criticizes covid policy they get personally attacked as a science denier, or grifter, or what have you.... and eventually they get proven right.

People have been staying home when they are sick... by force or by choice. Sick with the flu, cold corona virus', etc... That's what's limiting the spread of other illnesses. People in society were getting lazy with basic hygiene. If there's a silver lining to covid it's that people have got a hygiene reminder.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the one hand you seem to condemn swastika waving yet on the other hand your reply seems to justify it because it was for a good cause. Maybe you want to clarify what you meant above.

Please also note there was more than one person with a swastika. And there were people with U.S. confederate flags and dozens of people waving black flags with white lettering; similar to ISIS flags. Their flags said "fcuk Trudeau"
I think you misunderstood me. My point, was that the swastika waver the media bothered to talk to was doing so to equate Trudeau's approach to Nazism and to condemn both. It's hyperbolic, and certainly not how I would choose to get such a message across - but to each their own.

I'm not going to engage with you much further on the flag issue because the Confederate flag is a topic we could discuss for hours on its own. You also seem to suggest that if someone puts white lettering on a black background that's tantamount to supporting ISIS. Will you let Juventus know or should I?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I need to hear from a Lawyer on this one.

@mtkb

Would you not have to rewrite the charter?
I'd think these people are protected under freedom of expression currently?

So, this is not an easy answer in Canada.

True "hate speech" isn't Charter protected (unlike in the US where it basically is until you cross into incitement to violence territory). The question becomes (and American pundits will say this is precisely why our rule is absolute) where do you draw that line?

Were we to let the trans movement define hate speech, for instance, every "misgendering", intentional or not, would qualify. Obviously that cannot be the standard.

On the other hand, there is an argument that people targeted by the flags shouldn't have to put up with seeing them waved around. The balance of rights and freedoms, so the argument goes, is in favour of curtailing that type of speech.

For me, I would slice it this way. The guy that's waving the Nazi flag around to make the point that Trudeau is an authoritarian prick - I think that's ok - barely. On the other hand, anything remotely supportive of Nazism should (and likely does) fail to qualify for free expression protection.

As for the motion PV mentioned, I would need to see exactly how that worked. Is this a new criminal law? Regulatory? If so, under what auspices? "There oughta be a law" isn't how law making works in this country; the details matter.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
@bulljive you can say you don't know, but you can read the article stating that Johns Hopkins study indicates that the death rate was only impacted by about 0.2% due to the lockdowns/mandates. The University is one of the most prestigious and world renown research academies. They reviewed 34 discrete studies and came to these findings.

Now the media and others with a vested interest are trying to criticize this paper... what we can do is follow the bouncing ball that says every time someone criticizes covid policy they get personally attacked as a science denier, or grifter, or what have you.... and eventually they get proven right.

People have been staying home when they are sick... by force or by choice. Sick with the flu, cold corona virus', etc... That's what's limiting the spread of other illnesses. People in society were getting lazy with basic hygiene. If there's a silver lining to covid it's that people have got a hygiene reminder.
I had a chance to look at the paper briefly. You say they looked at 34 studies, yes they did but they also say there are 1,048 studies and only 34 met their criteria. Undoubtedly some of the 1,0014 stidies are garbage and should be rejected, but to use only 3% of the studies is cherry picking.
On page 46 they also state that non essential closures, for example bars, led to a 10.6% percent decline in covid morbidities.
Is the author totally neutral and independent. I doubt it since his twitter page says he is a member of the New Republic and the Cato Institute.

Thus far we have avoided talking about the convoy being in Ottawa when most of the restrictions have been implemented by provincial governments. Trudeau did not shut down schools, Trudeau did not shut down the soccer season. Trudeau did not close gyms and yoga studios, etc, etc etc.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alberta caving, ending all mandates soon

As well, rumours spreading, with a FB page, that there’s an anti-media convoy going to happen from Langley to Vancouver.

Using media to promote anti-media. So awesome.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thus far we have avoided talking about the convoy being in Ottawa when most of the restrictions have been implemented by provincial governments. Trudeau did not shut down schools, Trudeau did not shut down the soccer season. Trudeau did not close gyms and yoga studios, etc, etc etc.
The convoy was directed at tightened cross-border rules for truckers. That was a purely federal initiative. This "it's the provinces" argument is a straw man - period.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0