Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Noo Choons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is a higher reason from above

This morning there was somewhat of a database meltdown here in the community. Times and dates were well outta whack.

I managed to fix it but posts made during this time (there was only 1) had a timestamp of February 6, 2036... I'm sure Memhet was perplexed as the front page of the community indicated today was his 55th birthday :D

Anywho, my post above merely quoted Fasty's post that I had to delete this morning.

~TBwaitingpatientlyforthenewundermarsrelease.

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not so Popular

In an attempt to take this thread out of the exclusivity of British alterna-pop and electronica (and Ballbaby's random insertion of musical scores from the not-so-funny flick "East is East"), I'd like to suggest a song that will surely make Fastshow's late night tandori turn in his gullet. For this band are all things unFastshow. For they implement distorted guitar sounds and driving 4:4 time drumming, they are not from the UK, and worst of all they've got a bad name, and I think we all know how important a band's name is to Fastshow (see my Guided By Voices Post from a web-site-gone-by).

Those of you in the know, and perhaps even keeper, will remember a band called Nada Surf, who in the early to mid 90's held some popularity with their pseudo hit ironically titled "Popular". The band has a new-ish album called The Proximity Effect. The album is full of unique song arrangements and timing changes. But it's largely guitar driven and should appeal to the average "rock" guy.

Check out the lead track "Hyperspace". It, much like DCR, RULES!

Willy
TryingToResuscitateTheRockThatKeeperClaimsIsDead

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Silly Willy

Willy,

You don't like this song? Come on, admit it, you liked it a bit. You felt the urge to standup and start screwing in lightbulbs. Come on, admit it.

I really enjoyed it but I am very multi-dimensional.

;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Willy,

I never really liked "Popular". Although the chorus isn't bad, the rest of the song sounds like a far too serious version of King Missle. Good try though. For other decent 'guitar driven' rock, I suggest The Breeders or Teenage Fanclub (particularly Bandwagonesque).

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just when I thought you had TOTALLY redeemed yourself .....

The Breeders and Teenage Fanclub you say? Hmmmm catchy names. I'll definitely give them a listen.

Oh hang on a minute ... it appears I know this "Bandwagonesque" of which you speak. In fact I have it in my small, yet enjoyable music library ... ON CASSETTE!!!!!!! :D

As for The Breeders, they'll never make it. The day they make it will be the day the Pixies break-up. It just aint gonna happen. ;) (That's funny because the singer of The Breeders used to be in the Pixies before they broke-up ... get it?)

To return the favor of insightful tips on New Choons, for more decent "guitar driven" rock check out The Rolling Stones and The Who, both destined to become household names. You heard it here first.

Willy

CaughtTeenageFanclubAtTheCommodoreDuringTheBandwagonesqueTour

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You almost got my point

While your musical tastes seem to rank relatively high (in comparison with Fastshow and Number 2), you missed my point -- being that those bands hit their high while rock was still around.

It was a time where decent tunes from Elastica and Nirvana could be heard on every corner. A time when Midnight Oil and The Tragically Hip still concentrated their efforts into coming out with kickass ditties. It was time when we thought 13 Engines was good.

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, I think you missed MY point ...

Quote: "In an attempt to take this thread out of the exclusivity of British alterna-pop and electronica ..."

Fair enough Keeps, I realize that you long for the days when Larry and Willy were funny, and The Northern Pikes were at the top of the charts. And that, my dear friend, is precisely why I suggested Nada Surf's interesting rocker, "Hyperspace". Though it is about as removed from modern day rock radio as one could hope, it has qualities and a certain "rock" appeal that you might appreciate (but don't expect the generic "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus" type structure). Guitar driven rock still holds a place in my heart and likely always will. However, it cannot be stagnant, it must be progressive and innovative.

Unlike you, my Bed was never burning, nor did I give the slightest amount of shite that New Orleans was sinkin' (in fact, I go to bed some nights wishing the long-haired, pants-tucked-inside-the-cowboy-boots lead guitarist Bobby-what's-his-name from the hip had bloody well sunk with it). So if that's what you expect anyone to suggest in the "New Choons" thread, you might be at a loss. However, in my own little way I've attempted to provide something un-Fastshow, non-Buckfast, contra-Sensei, and anti-ballbaby that readers can give a listen.

Try it and let me know what you think. Maybe we'll find some common ground in "Hyperspace". If not, there's always 13 Engines. :D

Willy

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
C'mon, Wullie. Don't try and play a hard rockin', Whalley hangin, roach clip wearin' hero infront of your mates. We all know you're a closet Dexy's Midnight Runner fan.

Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma Chameleon....or something like that.

Rave On'

Bucko

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sweet justice ... fcuk I'm ashamed :(

Well, well, well, I reckon I get what I deserve. The timing on this is painfully impeccable. As I sit in my Ivory Tower mulling over all that is right and wrong in the world of music, I'm suddenly smacked with an e-mail from a good friend in Toronto informing me of my band's (undermars) appearance in this months issue of Exclaim Magazine (Canada's Music Authority ;) ). And after several posts of self-righteousness and general musical snobbery, I think it's only appropriate that I share this with all of you, for the sake of my own humility.

Exclaim Magazine September 2001:

"Vancouver's Undermars have a very good thing going for them. Their self-titled independent release is filled with plenty of pop hooks and rock riffs, making it likely to be a hit on mainstream radio here in Canada or the U.S. Their sound is similar to '90s college rock bands like Gin Blossoms and Better Than Ezra. "Goldenhair," their best shot for a radio hit, is a mid-tempo love song that is suitable for just about any soft rock radio station. Other songs, like "Soon," which resembles past efforts by Sloan, and "Ghostwriter," a more rocking Great Big Sea-type song, shows their gift for friendly rock tunes. Of course, there really isn't much to Undermars's sound if you look past the commercial appeal of the record, as none of the songs here really do much to keep the listener's attention. K.R. Perley's vocals are not strong enough to captivate and the instruments play nothing that hasn't been done before. Undermars is not a band that sets out to challenge a listener in any way, but if simple pop rock songs are what sell to the masses, this record has potential. Cam Lindsay - September 9th 2001"

First, the bad news: I cant think of a worse list of bands to be compared to
Second, the good news: Keeper, I think you may become the head of the undermars fan club. The undermars comparisons read like a Keeper Music Library who's who. Who says Rock is dead? Apparently, 90's college rock lives on through undermars. God help us.

Ah fcuk it, I'm goin back to that Dexy's Midnight Runners Tribute band.
Fcuking music critics, fcuk em! Jealous wannabies.

Keeper, check out http://www.mp3.com/undermars for all the 90's college rock you can handle

Willy
AbsolutelyGutted

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

First of all Wullie, whoever thought 'Exclaim' was a good name for a magazine is probably the same person who thinks Edie Brickell is talented or that that twat out of the Pursuit of Happiness is anything more than a twat. Do the God-botherers stand outside Mac's with 'Exclaim' on Sunday mornings, smiling sinisterly and eyeing up the under-fives? I daresay they do. What the damn fool of a reviewer failed to note, being that he too seems to be stuck in some horrid American mid-West abortion where John Cougar Mellencamp is the height of sophistication and listening to jazz is considered bohemian and dangerous with links to the communist party is that undermars are, and always have been, in dire need of a remix. There's only so much you can do with two guitars, a bit of bass, someone beating fcuk out of drums and a 'charismatic' frontman. Your mob does it very well but think big. Think beyond Studebaker's on a Tuesday night. You should be trying to get gigs at Club Med on Kingsway and Griffiths.

For those of you who like shite music have a listen to last week's UK number by DJ Otzi 'Hey Baby'. If you can, try and get a look at the big budget video. This is as good as an example of why Britain must never join the European Union as Iain Duncan Smith (new Tory leader) could ever hope for. Surely the sound of Germany after dark. Fcuking awful. Ballbaby will love it.

For some quality try and find 'Muhammed Ali' by Faithless. Sexy.

Here you go, Wullie; Souljacker Part 1 by the Eels and Stop Your Crying by Spiritualized should be right up your alley. In fact, Stop Your Crying could be the RUFC theme song.

Exclusive, Fastshow.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel for ya Willy.....being mentioned in the same sentence as Great Big Sea (unless the sentence is "Undermars shot and killed all the members of Great Big Sea") will do nothing to attract a new fan base. Unless you're in Nova Scotia.

As for you, Fisty, you of all people should know that the fine Burnaby drinking establishment you alluded to is PUB Med, not CLUB Med. Internationally known for their excellent virgin black-current martinis and clever play-on-word bar name, I wonder how you, International Man of Big Gay Drinks, could make such a mistake.

Besides, everybody knows the place to be in Burnaby is the Blue Button Club on Kingsway and Nelson. Will you be coming this friday? I'll have your crantini waiting.

Regards,
-Sensei.

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nova Scotia

Sensi, Great Big Sea are newfies , i should know my misses is a newf, saying they are from nova scotia is like saying that being from burnaby is the same as whalley:)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
haven't downloaded for a long time after seeing a video

For fans of Sublime, check out a tune called 'Sunny Hours' by Long Beach Dub Allstars.

~TB.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
shocker....

I never thought I'd be praising historically woeful yank racket The Dandy Warhols but their new song is a corker. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called but it does have a pretty odd name and has been played to death in the new Beckham Vodaphone advert and so is destined to go to number one in the charts. Not that the charts should ever be seen as a benchmark for good choons. Michael 'kerb crawler' Jackson is number 1 as I write this.

Sort it out and then start rocking like Catherine Hepburn in a helicopter, Fastshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0