Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL in General.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mexi,

The NHL still has a Canadian assistance plan. I think you need around 13500 season tickets to qualify, then you only get a few million. (Anybody know for sure?) Even with that I don't think the league is doing enough to help teams survive here. This is where the game started. How can you take teams out of Quebec, and Winterpeg, and then stick teams in Florida, and Pheonix. That brings me to another thing. Why the hell does Gretzky buy into an american team, when there are six Canadian teams who would have loved to have him on board. Now I'm just rambling on here, and getting upset. :mad:

TR.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A rant!

Why the hell does Gretzky buy into an american team, when there are six Canadian teams who would have loved to have him on board?

Because he is trying to be a good businessman although Phoenix may prove otherwise. I am worried about professional sports in Canada and I have become a Brian Burke fan for his comments on the free agency debacle. St. Louis started this debacle years ago when they payed enormously for a very over-valued Scott Stevens at that time. It's carried on since then.

In three years the collective agreement runs out and there could be some big problems for the NHL. Until the owners stick together, the salary issues will kill the NHL as we know it. I bet a large amount of the players can see this but many are milking the system for what it's worth until they retire. Ray Bourque isn't one of the favourite amongst the NHLPA because he didn't accept the role of standing firm and raising the salary ceiling by getting paid what the market dictated.

I am pretty much a union man but it insults me when we include professional athletes in the same manner. This goes for all sports. When it comes right down to it, we pay their salaries and we cannot even afford to watch them play. So what happens then? Corporations take our place. That is destroying professional sports.

Enough of that, I'm getting a coffee!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a pretty touchy subject for a lot of Canadians. Hopefully more people can show up here, and express their views.

Ballbaby,

I've calmed down a little bit here, and composed myself enough to comment;) I agree when you say Brian Burke has been one of the best things for the league. He has made some bad player decisions, well one anyway(Bobby), but he has put a good, competetive team together while keeping costs down.

I realize that Gretzky has to make good business moves, but being the person he is, and where he is from, it still doesn't make sense to me. If I were in his shoes, I would buy into a Canadian team. Just his name alone being associated with any Canadian team would certainly help the business aspect of things. Damn it, I'm rambling on again.:)

TR.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I were in his shoes, I would buy into a Canadian team.

TheRob,

Don't take this the wrong way buddy, but that's why you and I are posting on TTP instead of playing golf in Phoenix.

Regs, not that there is anything wrong with TTP. In fact if I was in Gretzky's shoes, I would conduct my entire business on this lovely forum. :p

Regards,

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby,

Don't take this the wrong way buddy, but that's why you and I are posting on TTP instead of playing golf in Phoenix.

True, true.:(

TR.

mexi

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The true fault to suffering Canadian teams, The Loonie. It is utterly impossible for teams to compete on a level field when the value of a dollar is so different.

I had heard talk a while back about the possibility of ditching the loonie and having a northamerican currency. If this happens Canadian teams would have no excuses. I doubt this will ever happen though.

For Ballababy, the three years may be long enough to see teams in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa move, fold, or be in to much trouble to survive. As much as I love Canada, you have to give the US it's credit. They get results, be it by supporting their sports teams with funding(amatur) or building stadiums and arenas, or having a decent system of roads for traveling on.

The Canadian government isn't doing much to help amature sports in Canada, they don't do enough to help professional teams in Canada.

Yet Toronto finds money to send overseas in a last ditch effort to win the Olympic bid.

TAKE CARE OF CANADA FIRST!!! Then help other countries.

But back to hockey, Maybe Gretzky bought the Coyotes(Jets) to eventually return the team to Winnipeg. (Wishful Thinking)

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TSN is reporting that Hull is close to signing with Detroit. More to come.:)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mexi,

I had heard talk a while back about the possibility of ditching the loonie and having a northamerican currency. If this happens Canadian teams would have no excuses.
I disagree. Even if it did happen, Canada's economy is tiny in comparison with the U.S..

Although, yes, I agree the the exchange is hurting us (i.e. we're taking in Canadian dollars and paying salaries in U.S. dollars) -- the U.S. markets generate more money being situation in a larger economy.

Changing the currency will only create a system where U.S. markets will have more "N. A. Dollars" to spend while Canadians will have less. Ticket prices will have to be lower and as such, so will salaries.

I doubt we'll ever be able to compete while large-pocketed owners shell out astronomical contracts to overrated players.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the TSN webpage.

A team spokesperson has confirmed that the Detroit Red Wings have signed free agent Brett Hull to a 2-year deal. The club has called a 2pm EDT news conference for Thursday.

Some people here may be dissapointed(sp?) about this. I am happy either way. I wouldn't mind him here, but I don't care that he is not.

TR.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF!

I heard that the Islanders were thinking of giving Yashin a 10 year contract, worth 90 million!:eek: That is fcuking unreal. He's not even worth half that over ten years. The Islanders franchise probably wouldn't sell for that much. The amount of money American GM's are spending is getting stupid. When will the madness stop?:confused:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg out

:eek: Wow. As a fan, what a disapointment. He will be missed.
DENVER -- After two years of injuries, Colorado Avalanche star Peter Forsberg said Saturday he needs more time to heal and will take an indefinite leave of absence from hockey.

A teammate said Forsberg, a six-time All-Star, told the Stanley Cup champions he would miss the entire 2001-02 season.

Forsberg, whose most recent injury was a ruptured spleen four months ago, insisted he wasn't contemplating retirement, but he had no timetable for his return.

"I just feel that right now, in my current frame of mind, I can't go out and play at the level I expect out of myself," Forsberg said. "Over the last few years, the numerous injuries and the recent surgeries made me come to this decision."

The 28-year-old Swede would be the highest-paid player in the NHL this season at $11 million, according to the NHL Players Association. But he won't be paid during his absence.
And what about the Olympics?
Forsberg, who led Sweden to the 1994 Olympic gold medal, wouldn't rule out an Olympic appearance in 2002. However, Forsberg said he would expect to return to the Avalanche first.

"If I don't go back and feel good and play with the Avalanche, I won't play in the Olympics," he said.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done Forsberg

I think this is a great statement Forsberg is making.

I think the Owners and excutives of this teams put way too much pressure on the player to play through the pain. They hurry them back from injuries far too quickly. Eric Lindros, Brett Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, all with completely different injuries than Forsberg but all hurried back to quickly after a serious injuries.

So, well done Forsberg and we will see you, when your body tells you it's time to play again.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First class

I have to admit that Peter was one of my favorite players before this announcement! But after reading what he has to say he might just top the list. I am sure every Avalanche fan is extremely upset at the loss of such a quality player, but you have to respect the fact that he has turned down 11 million dollars this year................one of the few athletes of today that obviously isn't playing for the money:)

John

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah and 9 or 10 million a year is such a difference. Every player out there is playing for the money or to make the big buck. He is right not to risk his health, but telling me he is not playing for the money is a joke. Obviously they play the game cause the love to play, but the money is what keeps them comming back each year.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes.....

But when you have entertainment like this going on in the NHL, who really even considers how much these guys are being paid?

14:17 left in 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Edmonton 0 0 0 0
Calgary 0 0 0 0
Calgary Power Play
Penalty Box Time Left
EDM - Ryan Smyth (interference with goaltender 2 min) 0:25

Play-by-play
5:43 - Stoppage: Offsides

5:43 CGY - Savard won faceoff against Marchant

5:08 EDM - Staios blocked shot

5:00 EDM - Murray blocked shot

4:48 CGY - McAmmond won faceoff against Murray

Now this looks like a thrilling battle of Alberta.......:eek:

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Battle Of Alberta

the game was a thrill a minute....

nothing like watching a bunch of plumbers wacking a puck around.

who need offence when you can watch such skill and grace

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Welcome to Hammerhead, our new Edmonton dwelling Calgary supporting prairie yob. Now if we can get Mexi to post, we'll span all of western Canada.

HH how about a side bet on the pool?

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
'Span' as in across. Besides you can see Manitoba from the Alberta border... Saskatchewan is insignificant... When have they won a national title? Or a Stanley Cup?

KurganwhothinksthatnitpickingisnowtheofficialTTPsport.

Editedsothatnoonewillnitpick. :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
more nitpicking

Well since Fasty and Max (whom was online here very early this morning but didn't post) are over in England, wouldn't that mean we're 'spanning' the whole country?

~TBwhothinksitistimeforapinttotaketheedgeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts