Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Expansion

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-plans-in-the-works-reports-1.2748166

Sounds like a rumour (already denied by Bill Daly). Beside that it is hard to imagine that Maple Leafs would allow a local competition without huge compensation (probably hundreds of millions) and even then it is a question if ML would agree (they have too much money anyway). Being powerful as they (ML) are at the NHL level, again, Toronto is hardly an option (just my opinion).

Seattle? Really, how many pro clubs Seattle can support? If NBA is going back to Seattle (once a new arena is done) can Seattle support Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, Supersonics (using the old name), and "whatever hockey club name may be". I do not think so.

Las Vegas? It would be another Phoenix. Great place to go to, spend a few days, watch a game but the city would have to subsidize hockey in Las Vegas as it is being done in Phoenix.

Quebec City? If Winnipeg got back NHL team then QC seems as a logical choice. In other words, my opinion that expansion eventually could happen only in Quebec City.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The issue with Toronto getting a second team has nothing to do with the Laffs. It has EVERYTHING to do with Buffalo and to a lesser extent Ottawa.

If the team was put on the North Side of the City you'd have some major bitching and moaning from the Sens. They already struggle for attendance and taking away the draw for points west of Ottawa creates an issue. This is highly unlikely to happen anyways- the more appropriate spot for a second team in the GTA is South of the City, and this is why it will never happen- Buffalo. For those that don't know the GTA well, anything South of Toronto Proper & Mississauga (Hamilton, St Catherines, Welland, Niagara, etc) essentially draws to Buffalo if they're not already died-in-the-wool Laffs fans, tix are not $200 each and they can get down and back quick. It's much quicker than us guys going to Seattle for a Hawks, M's or Sounders game. If another team was put in Toronto the Sabres would have to move there.

Geographically, Kansas City has an arena and provides a good rival, location wise, to Dallas.

Seattle would get some support, but it's also a fickle town. When their teams struggle the attendance falls rapidly...much like Vancouver.

Quebec is overdue - They were a strong franchise, sadly the 60 cent dollar and lack of corporate support killed them, if Winnipeg can manage in this climate Quebec City can also.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't wait for a SCF in the middle of June in 40 plus degree Vegas heat...

If Seattle can get 40,000 to watch soccer, they can get 20,000 to watch hockey... of course, a few WHL teams might have to move...

JBN nailed it re the 2nd Toronto franchise, although I to think the Leafs would bitch about TV rights and monies and all of that... they wouldn't be as stupid as the Expos were...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quebec has a new Colisee already close to being finished. If you are basing where to put a team only based on market size, then Houston should get a team way before KC or Lost Wages. Could they maintain a franchise? That's another question entirely.

The TO story is another one. If the Newmarket Hockey Moms club gets a franchise, there should be a lot of rightful complaints from Hamilton where the Copps Coliseum has been gathering dust. Toronto should be a large enough market to support both a hockey team and the Laffs without hurting fan draws to Ottawa or Buffalo.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speculation around the Las Vegas team name has money betting on Desert Knights? WTF? Is this a CFL team? Is it really that hard to come up with a good professional team name these days?
Would something along the lines of Gamblers? Snake Eyes? Or even the Aces not be better?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
It would but from what I've read, Bettman and the league office nixed all potential names related to gambling... black aces would have been awesome.

I think the group hit some other roadblocks such as the London Knights blocking the use of just Knights

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Las Vegas Hoovers.

Because of the proximity to the dam, and because as an expansion team, they'll suck.

Try the fish, it's been here all week...:p

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would but from what I've read, Bettman and the league office nixed all potential names related to gambling... black aces would have been awesome.

I think the group hit some other roadblocks such as the London Knights blocking the use of just Knights

If its that close to another team name, why just slightly alter it? Change it to something original.
I actually think there is a minor league ball team called the Reno Aces which kills that one I think. Also "black" aces, in this day and age would probably not fly either.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts