Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple of interesting things have come up for next year. The first is that the VMSL seems to be putting an O-30 (something) division together and the other is that there seems to be dialogue between the FVSL and WCOTL for an interlocking schedule.

The demise of the O-30 BC's is now a done deal I guess and next year there will be only one O-35 Cup that will lead on to a Canadian Championship.

It all sound progressive. Any confirmation or further news from anyone?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It all sound progressive. Any confirmation or further news from anyone?

Actually Peter I did find out something. Apparently we will all be one year old older next year and I'm not so sure if that is progressive. I guess the alternative is much worse. :rolleyes:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just trying to get a discussion going...

Ballbaby,

Thanks for your reply. I thought you were ignoring me because of the lack of 12 yo after our semi...I don't know, maybe you heard me complaining to the ref after one of your hacks. My point was more the idea of an interlocking schedule so SU's dominance can be layed to rest by having to play real teams for a change (scoring 1 goal in 240 minutes of play is hardly a convincing feat, conceding only 1 during that same time isn't bad though).

The idea of having 4 leagues going at it in the Lower Mainland is going to change everything: Fields will be tougher to get, talent will be more diluted and berths for the BC's (which will already be tighter with no O-30's) will be harder to come by. I've heard the VMSL effort would be tied in to the CAT system which is interesting.

Stew, do you know any more about it?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what do I know?

Only bits and pieces so far, Peter. Not sure how the good Mr. Azzi got his head stuck so far up his arse, but the idea of VMSL setting up a Masters' Division basically in direct competition with us is really sticking in my craw. What the hell are they thinking? Is this a global pisstake on all the rest of us? Doesn't exactly sound too progressive to me.:mad:

For all intents and purposes, the WCOTSL is over 30's for VMSL players. We cover most of the same geography with the exception of the North Shore, and I'm sure that the folk who run those leagues aren't looking at this too favourably, either. Hedkandi, CSide17, any comments? Anybody hear from Suds about this?

To the best of my knowledge (as of yesterday), none of our Premier teams are jumping ship, and we know that at least some of them had been approached to do so. Haven't heard from many of the 1st Division clubs yet, but I don't think many of them would be too willing to jump either.

Peter, I'd heard the same rumour about tying things to the CAT system; although with the rest of us all going over 35, I can really only see this working in one direction. I can't see too many of us old farts wanting to go back into the mix without the unlimited subs concept, or having to deal with all those clueless 19 year olds again.

Not sure about this one - I have heard a rumour that the O35 Provincial Cup will be expanded in size substantially to account for dropping the O30 format. 32 teams, anybody?

Yes, the idea of an interlock is being looked at, but still very much up in the air. We need to resolve the age issue first - our teams have some grandfathered players under the age of 35. I still think that the concept is a good one, though.

Lunch calls....

stew:cool:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Repost from VMSL thread

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I haven't noticed that anyone has been made aware of the "over-30's" rule change this year. That is, that the Over-30's league has now been changed to the Over-35's. Anyone between 31-34 who registered for Over-3x this year would be grandfathered into the league. If I understand correctly, the registration date has now passed and individuals will now have to wait until they are actually 35 to enter the league.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Next Year is Here!!!!

Hello All you Old Farts who think they will still get a call from Holger...:D

I'm not sure but I think the Older 30 FVSL and the VSML O30 are banning together to make a superior old timers and legends soccer league.

16 teams (top eight from FVSL / and eight from the VSML)

If it's based on last year these are the FVSL contenders:
Surrey United (the best of the best)
Peace Arch (Not as good as those fellows way up there but better than all those left)
Delta Metro (old old old farts)
Surrey FC (word is there is a wee bit o contraversy on this squad)
Mission ( the farthest any of us have to drive but hopefully it won't be a roadie for Peter and the Westside lads)
Langley FC (trying to put together a solid team but still alot of work to do.)
Golden Olys (who knows if they will even have a team)
Surrey City Firemen (a good solid team)

And the VSML group would be:

Columbus
Firefighters
Westside Miloni
SFU Clan Alumni
Total Marine Celtic
Club Inter
Lobbans
Burnaby Firefighters

Could be a great league and a tough game every week!!!!

Any thoughts from the rest of you old bastards?????

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Old Farts!

It's my understanding that the VMSL O30 division won't fly! We off the NSCL will probably be sticking with our age increasing format, which would make us an O'33 league this season, but each team would be able to sign 5 players between 30-32. this will allow the league some continuity. With most of our teams being top heavy on the age( average 40-41) we need some young blood, to ensure we can carry on as a league.

Cside17

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This could be a very interesting year. We have lost the services of some very key players at the Surrey United Camp. Glen Ferarro is done due to bad knees. Mark Avery will be playing with Peace Arch in the FVSL Premier. Billy Connor will be taking a hiatus until X-mas (believe it when I see it) or maybe even playing O'40's with older brother John. Who knows? Dave Harkinson is tied up with his children's sports and not readily available. One key guy is undecided if he will be playing while attending school. He wishes to remain anonymous because that's the way he is. Ron Ritchie is still re-habbing his Achilles tendon rupture so will be out for quite sometime.

This could spell some turbulence in what has been some very calm seas the last several years. However, we do have some new blood from last year in George Paille and a couple more key signings for this season who will remain nameless until I hear it right from the horse's mouth. Regardless, as talented as these signings may be, they do not spell relief in the running department of our midfield, so I still know what my role will have to be.:rolleyes: quack! quack! quack! inside joke

I am looking forward to the interlocking schedule with the WCOSL.
Training starts Wednesday. Everyone else?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
clearing the mud....

Guyz:

Just need to clear up a couple of things here.

1) for 5BT, the teams you have named off are NOT from the VMSL - they are all WCOTSL teams.
2) the interlock is still at the concept stage. Nothing has been set in concrete yet; we're still going back and forth about the fine details. WCOTSL is having an executive meeting tomorrow night to discuss this amongst probably dozens of other things.
3) for 5BT's hypothetical setup, replace Lobbans and Bby Canadians (relegated) with PAOK and PCOV (promoted from the 1st Division). Yes, I still think I'll be getting a call from Holger, but way more likely about how to keep you crusty gits off his back than looking for players...:D
4) C-side 17 (how's Rusty anyway?) - I think even His Azziship would be able to figure out that being the only league in town left running an O30's loop and not being eligible for any cup play won't fly. I think you'll find that the VMSL will also have changed their setup to an O35's (if they run it at all this year).
5) Bbaby - have to ask Tony the 'keeper about his "old old old side" at work tomorrow...:p . Try to keep the Connors around as long as possible; they both used to play for the Clan and probably remember most of the miscreants involved.
6) Keeper - as far as I know, each league is approaching the age issue differently; with ours being the most convoluted system I've heard of so far. What we've got is a grace period until the end of August to sign new players between 31-34; players from last year are grandfathered, and anybody new after that has to wait until their 35th birthday.

Season starts September 8th....

Clear like mud?

stew:cool:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stew,

Thanks for clearing those tid bits up. My booboo on the league mix up. You obviously have your stubby fingers on the pulse. My information came via the thrid party, which is always uncertain at best. I really don't care how the league would interlock or about the age thing. I just hope it happens (this year!!!!)

Balls,

I don't trust you SU types...Just when your crying for help, you'll go undefeated for a third year. Leaving the rest of us in your wake.....:D

5btitchintoplaytheWCOTSL:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby,

I just heard tonight that you might have to be contending with Studs this year. A move to 5BigToes Peace Arch might be in the works. I tried getting him for Club Ireland but he wanted to stay closer to his home because of family reasons......:eek:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Studs at Peace Arch huh? That will be a bonus for them. I didn't realize he was 35 yet, unless he's in because of that grandfather clause. Why would he sign for a bunch of donut eaters?:p

5bt's with his debonair style working his magic with the help of a box of timbits. Egads!:eek:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballsie,

We do what we have to do. As a matter of fact I just heard tonite as well. Sounds like a good deal for us Peace Arch guys....Oh BTW it's Starbucks and bagels...no timmybits here pal...;)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big Big news! I do believe we have a signing that could definately keep us on top. We have signed Pumper! Yes, the same Pumper who posts here on TTP. He looked simply amazing last night at training. He has the same defensive move since I first shared the pitch with him at grade three. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't BUT it always entertains.

He was also very aggressive in the tackle, especially when he two-footed Reeder in the scrimmage. LOL! Reeder looked up in amazement, obviously never experiencing such a display of testosterone. He glanced my way with a look that was pleading for reassurement, for solace. I gave him a confident glance back, as if to say, "suck it up big man, you'll be OK." Pumper carried on as if it was business as usual. This episode was defining in my opinion. It will set the tone of what Pumper will bring to the pitch this season. Of course, we will have to encourage him to wean his baby off the breast. We simply cannot afford to sub him on and off the field everytime he starts lactating.

Three of the kids that I coach, scrimmaged with us for the start of training. They did extremely well and I can honestly say that they were the best ones on the pitch. One of the ten year olds was a little scared when Pumper raked his calf. But, hey, you play with the big boys, you suck it up. I quickly stitched him up, and told him to get out there.

I was advised that two other TTP posters are also signing, one of which has national team, and professional experience. That, of course, means nothing when you are carrying a spare tire around your waste. ;) That will soon disappear. If he went to Peace Arch, that tire would only get bigger after the consumption of gallons of Ice Cappucinos and cream filled Bagels. (How do they get the cream in the middle of a bagel?):confused:

One other comment, is it normal to warm-up for half an hour for the warm-up? Ginger Paille is guilty of this. Where does it end? Do you then warm-up for the warm-up of the original warm-up? :confused: We will certainly sort this out, along with the breastfeeding.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balls, Peter,

Any news on this new interlocking league? The beginning of the season is very near.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is this "season" of which you speak?

5BT's,

I'm officially out of the loop with my 3rd ACL reconstruction looming. I'm on the prowl for a donor right now and then I have to find a doctor to install it. The quacks want to use tissue from my great gam (as opposed to my "good" leg) to fix it up as I've burned through all suitable stuff already in the left leg in my previous ops.

So I haven't been to training and don't know the status of the schedule. Stew is the best bet for updates as he is on the WCOTSL board. He mentions a meeting from last week that he has yet to report on.

I'm concentrating my efforts towards coaching the U-12 Point Grey Silver squad to national prominence.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pumper back to full time football?
Will wonders never cease?
What will his missus say about this?
Oh, wait a minute, he is the missus.

Ballbaby:
I don't know about the warm up proticol, but please ensure your three cheers and hip-hip-hoorays are in good working order for the start of the season.

:D

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter,

Sorry to hear you have to undergo yet another ACL operation. I felt one was too many times. Might I suggest Dr. Carl Shearer (Sports Med in New West) He can refer you to Dr Loomer (who I understand is one of the best!!!!)

I'm sure you will enjoy the pleasure of coaching U12 Silver. Nothing is better than watching your children play fitba and play well with all his pals:D Maybe you can teach them a cheer like this :bronco:

Ballbaby,

Jordy and Highlander!!!!

I know for a fact that Highlander likes to complain, grumble, whine, snivel, infact he wants to be a donut-eater like me, go figure. I guess he will fit into SU :D

As for Jordy! Don't be too hard on the poor fellow, he is trying to get his fitness back. He sends Mrs Jordy running every morning, while he stays in a does all the house work. :knvb:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interlock

It looks like the interlocking league is not going to happen:(

Too bad it would have been fun to play against some new teams...oh well maybe next year....

5btliesthenewdudes:wa: :knvb: :bronco:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FVSL O30 Fixtures:

It has truly been a quick summer. Now it's back to playin' footie Sunday am instead of mowing the lawn or some other household chore.

Here are the games in the Valley:

Masters Division Sunday Sept. 8
Sapperton Old Boys v Aldergrove United
IFC Academico v Alumni
Sundowners v Poco City Thunder
Mission Celtic v Surrey FC Firemen
Surrey United v Delta Metro United
All Blacks v Peace Arch United

I guess we are playing the New Zealand Rugby team and
Jonah Lomu :confused:

5bt hopes the All Blacks have nice kit and perform the Haka before the game....

ringa pakia
uma tiraha
turi whatai
hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!