Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[news] Artificial playing surfaces now officially permitted

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Artificial playing surfaces now officially permitted

From July 2004, football matches may be played on either natural or artificial surfaces, if permitted by the applicable competition regulations. The International FA Board (IFAB), custodians of football's rules and regulations, approved this amendment to the Laws of the Game at its 118th Annual General Meeting, held in London on 28 February.

At the same meeting, IFAB decided that any such artificial playing surface should be required to meet the quality standards laid down by, either the FIFA Quality Concept for Artificial Turf, or the International Artificial Turf Standard.

Meeting under the chairmanship of FIFA President, Sep Blatter, IFAB also decided that teams should not be permitted to make more than six substitutions during friendly matches - a change to Law 3.

With regard to the methods used for determining the winners of knockout matches, IFAB also decided to revert to playing the full period of extra time, consisting of two periods of no more than 15 minutes, with kicks from the penalty spot only deciding match results that are still level after extra time. In future, matches played in accordance with the knockout system will no longer be decided by a ‘golden’ or ‘silver’ goal.

On the interpretation of Law 12, IFAB ruled that any player who removes his jersey after scoring a goal should be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. To this effect, FIFA has already sent a circular to all member associations giving an in-depth explanation of the matter. Their guidelines may be downloaded at www.FIFA.com.

Welcoming these amendments, Sep Blatter said, "Integrating the artificial turf surface into the Laws of the Game is the most important amendment this year and is a milestone in the history of football. Millions of players around the world will benefit from this decision, as it will allow them to play their favourite sport on a more regular basis - irrespective of the weather."

These new amendments to the Laws of the Game came into force worldwide on 1 July 2004. However, they do not apply to competitions that are already underway. Consequently, EURO 2004 in Portugal still used the previous version of the Laws of the Game, including the provision for a "silver goal" to decide the winners of the semi-finals, as well as the championship final on 4 July in Lisbon.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This helps Canada if it were ever going to bid for the World Cup. A good decision as far as I'm concerned. I know a lot of people hate the field turf though so it will be interesting to hear the fallout.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sepp Blatter said, "Integrating the artificial turf surface into the Laws of the Game is the most important amendment this year and is a milestone in the history of football. Millions of players around the world will benefit from this decision, as it will allow them to play their favourite sport on a more regular basis - irrespective of the weather."

What a fcuking joke. This is fine if you're playing amateur soccer anywhere (especially in a wet climate) but to integrate artificial turf at an International or Professional level is a complete disgrace and TTP out of the game.

Figures a bloody German would give this his blessing ...... and I'm not talking about you TheRob.

TheRob said:
This helps Canada if it were ever going to bid for the World Cup.

Finally, a piss take from TheRob :rolleyes:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
but to integrate artificial turf at an International or Professional level is a complete disgrace

Walks, its not like they are going to start playing World Cup or Euro Cup games on Turf, but for some of the poor Nations out there that have difficulty keeping a decent pitch because of cost and weather conditions, this is great for them. African nations can now install these artifcial turf fields and not have to worry about the high cost of maintanence. It is a good idea, but not for major tourneys or top leagues. But you may see these fields popping up in the Lower Divisions in Britian.

hos

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

I hope not as it would really spoil the game IMHO. Fair enough about African Nations installing them to avoid the high cost of maintenance as the Burnaby Parks Board can easily attest to :D. You may want to tell the lads to head by Swangard ..... was there last night and the field is shoc-king.

However, these bloody fields are expensive. knvb may know how much the Slurrey one cost but I'm sure when it's all said and done, they've got to cost close to what ?? $500K - $750K ??

Cheers, Walks

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, the artificial fields are around a million bucks to install one, and I am sure it would be more if it is put in a Stadium, but that field will keep with minumum maintanence for 7 to 10 years and the governments in Africa are probably more worried about getting water to the people than they are putting it on grass fields to keep them green year round.

Once the Burnaby Parks Board gets Reccos and his Team ID's sorted out, they will be putting on seminars for any African Nations that are interested.

hos

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks : Should be interesting since the turf plays a little faster; cause you have a tuff time keeping up with the play now :wa:

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy tuff guy ....... considering I usually have to carry you up and down the pitch for your 15 minutes every game, that's a ballsy comment :D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
However, these bloody fields are expensive.

Walks, I just talked to my Parks Dept. source (not the one trying to screw Reccos) and he gave me some numbers on what it takes to operate a field like Swangard for a year. It is about 50-60 thousand to maintain just the field for a year. This does not include all the extra staff that come in on game day and all the equipment that has allready been purchased for the maintanence. That price would include one and a half peoples labour for the year, and other supplies for field maintanence (water is free).
This is of coarse after the field and track were totally re-done a few years ago, at a price of 3 million dollars.
The price of a turf fieild is 1 to 1.5 million, but the maintance for it is 5 thousand a year, it only needs to be swept 1 or 2 times a month, and last for 7 to 10 years.
I also heard that there has been talk about putting in turf at Swangard, which would be a shame, and with this new ruling by FIFA, this could happen.

hos

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree with walks , as much as I hate to do that :) .I am not a fan of the turf,but if a country can't keep up maintance on one pitch which they would use for international matches , do you think they will be able to maintain a turf. Does the money not come from government, thats why their pitches are crap, because half the time the fella in charge is pocketing the cash for himself, so the more he gets for upkeep of grass pitch the more he is pocketing.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts