Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New World Cup Format (Implications for Canada)

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am bit saddened by expansion of the format. In my opinion, it makes a bit less special.
Essentially, Mexico and USA have a guaranteed appearance to the World Cup. From what I have read or listened to, this could be a possibility:
Africa +4
Asia +5
Europe +3
Concacaf +2
Commebol +1
OFC +1

China, Saudi Arabia and Quatar are also likely to get into the mix.
At the moment the HEX is nice because both the USA and Mexico can still get eliminated.
Essentially the two extra spots would likely go to Trinidad or Panama or one of the many Caribean islands ranked above Canada (i.e.Curacao).

Now this is becoming quite embarrassing. Even with 48 nations, Canada is still a long shot from qualification. Perhaps the only possibility is with hosting the event. The ranking shows Canada in 119th just beside some of the poorest nations in Africa.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually your info is not correct. We are ranked at 117th in the world. How ever these rankings hold little credibility.

There are only 195 Countries in the World ( 196 if you add Taiwan) yet Fifa has Rankings for 205 countries.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
images.jpg \
yeahh! you are correct. Canada just surpassed the Phillipines as they were ahead last time.
Big jump from 119th to 117th
but you are incorrect on the number of countries ranked by FIFA. There are 211 countries or nations that appear on the rankings. Only 204 have a numerical ranking other than 0.
To make it more complicated there are entities that appear only on one of them like the Vatican or the Cook Islands.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
View attachment 17569
but you are incorrect on the number of countries ranked by FIFA. There are 211 countries or nations that appear on the rankings. Only 204 have a numerical ranking other than 0.
To make it more complicated there are entities that appear only on one of them like the Vatican or the Cook Islands.

No this is because there is room for only 205 . The ones you see with 0's are all playing in a survivor like tournament this summer for that 205th spot on a remote island. The country/team left last standing / breathing will claim spot 205. The remain countries will then fall under control of the USA and Mr. Trump.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
No this is because there is room for only 205 . The ones you see with 0's are all playing in a survivor like tournament this summer for that 205th spot on a remote island. The country/team left last standing / breathing will claim spot 205. The remain countries will then fall under control of the USA and Mr. Trump.
...oh well... this kind of response now does not surprise me...given the Canadian rankings. Just a reflection of the playing, knowledge, and care for the sport that people here have.
Kind of sad that Canada is outranked by the likes of Syria, Central Africa Republic, Irak, and other similar countries in the middle of civil wars and unrest.
But the numbers show how bad things are here.

The per capital GDP in Central Africa Republic is the equivalent of 1/10 of the expenditure of Canadian family on soccer for a kid.

In other words, these countries with extreme poverty and a very small fraction of our expenditures in soccer (less than 2%) can produce better soccer teams.

I do not think that people here realized how dysfunctional the whole soccer system is in Canada.

And to add insult even the Vatican can beat the Canadian National Team, but thank God they are not included in the FIFA rankings.

"The Vatican is one of only eight fully recognized sovereign states whose national team is not a FIFA member. The others are the Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, Monaco, Nauru, Palau and Tuvalu. In May 2014, Domenico Ruggerio, president of the FA, stated that "I prefer to be amateur...To join FIFA, at that level, will be like a business" after stating "The important message of friendship and love is demonstrated by the sport — the real sport, not the business that is in football these days...It is not just important to win a match; it is how you carry yourself." Therefore, that, he added, meant that "the ethos of the Vatican’s soccer team was, at odds with FIFA membership."[2]

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
...oh well... this kind of response now does not surprise me...given the Canadian rankings. Just a reflection of the playing, knowledge, and care for the sport that people here have.
Kind of sad that Canada is outranked by the likes of Syria, Central Africa Republic, Irak, and other similar countries in the middle of civil wars and unrest.
But the numbers show how bad things are here.

The per capital GDP in Central Africa Republic is the equivalent of 1/10 of the expenditure of Canadian family on soccer for a kid.

In other words, these countries with extreme poverty and a very small fraction of our expenditures in soccer (less than 2%) can produce better soccer teams.

I do not think that people here realized how dysfunctional the whole soccer system is in Canada.

And to add insult even the Vatican can beat the Canadian National Team, but thank God they are not included in the FIFA rankings.

"The Vatican is one of only eight fully recognized sovereign states whose national team is not a FIFA member. The others are the Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, Monaco, Nauru, Palau and Tuvalu. In May 2014, Domenico Ruggerio, president of the FA, stated that "I prefer to be amateur...To join FIFA, at that level, will be like a business" after stating "The important message of friendship and love is demonstrated by the sport — the real sport, not the business that is in football these days...It is not just important to win a match; it is how you carry yourself." Therefore, that, he added, meant that "the ethos of the Vatican’s soccer team was, at odds with FIFA membership."[2]

Good to know my Wiki Donations are helping educate you.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach

With your logic of linking GDP to FIFA rankings the country in real trouble would be India....Ranked 7th in the world in GDP, 2nd in population and 135th by FIFA their Minister of Youth Affairs and Sport must but in the hot seat, not to mention their poor showing in Rio.

DD3

#iwonderhowthisonewillbespun
Thank you for the reply. "Per Capita GDP" is the best indicator. I think that you missed the word "per capita". India has a per capita GDP of $1,600 according to World Bank. India is ranked about 140th in the world. Their FIFA ranking is 135th.

The issue is that Canada is the only significantly industrialized country that is below 100th in the FIFA rankings. If we would be doing things right we should be above 50th with USA, Mexico, and other European countries. It is a total disgrace the way we run soccer in our country.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Every time I see a photo of Vic, all I can think is...this man needs to either lose some weight, or buck-up for a proper fitting suit.

Fcuking looks sloppy.

Vic: just cut out the carbs and sugar. Bread is the devil, sugar is the devil. At your size, you'll lose 25 lbs in 4-5 months.

Then, get to a proper suit store, and get a properly tailored suit, shirt, and probably a new tie. And shoes. And socks. Probably a new belt, too.

And a haircut.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every time I see a photo of Vic, all I can think is...this man needs to either lose some weight, or buck-up for a proper fitting suit.

Fcuking looks sloppy.

Vic: just cut out the carbs and sugar. Bread is the devil, sugar is the devil. At your size, you'll lose 25 lbs in 4-5 months.

Then, get to a proper suit store, and get a properly tailored suit, shirt, and probably a new tie. And shoes. And socks. Probably a new belt, too.

And a haircut.
I thought the same, but then I thought perhaps he is just keeping the expectations in line.
images.jpg

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
The more that I think of the situation, the more that I regret it.
The qualifiers are as exciting or even more exciting than the World Cup. For instance, the current Commebol qualifier is quite thrilling. Argentina is in 5th place and Colombia in 6th place. At this moment, both of them do not have direct qualification to the World Cup. Only one of them will be able to qualify indirectly. This is making each game very entertaining. I really have a good time each round because all the games matter a lot.

The same goes for Concacaf. At this moment, the USA has 0 points and might not be able to qualify. Mexico qualified last time in the last minute of the last game with a goal from the USA. Perhaps the most interesting qualifier in the history of Concacaf.

With 7 possible spots from Commebol and 5 possible spots of Concacaf the whole qualifier becomes cursory and almost irrelevant for the top teams.

The same goes for Canada hosting the world cup. It would be nice to have it here, but it is quite a drag that the only way to qualify to the main event is with special situations (i.e. hosting the world cup or civil wars in the area).

I was listening to Lenarduzzi last night, and to given him credit, he has to say whatever keeps average Canadian Joe happy and interested in the game, so I can not fault him. He was saying that our team would be able to qualify in 2026 regardless of we hosting it or not.

Some many changes are needed in our soccer communities. Handing us down the World Cup just means that people keep doing what is inefficient and wrong in terms of development and conceptualization of the game. But again, perhaps having the world cup here will open up the eyes of people and realize all the changes that need to be done and help them see the game with more open eyes and mind.

I really hope that somebody is able to convince me that new format will be more exciting. This system of 16 groups of 3 teams with 2 advancing to 32 knock out situation seems to be a total mockery of the competition. We could easily have a Germany-Argentina elimination game in the round of 32 and games like Curacao (ranked 80th) -Tahiti (ranked 148th) in the group stage. England could be going home after only 2 games and teams like Egypt could be advancing easily until the round of 8th if they find an easy path.
am I really wrong in seeing this as some sort of madness?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0