Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New offside rule changes showcased at FIFA WYC 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some interesting interpretations of the offside rule will be shown for the first time during the WYC 2005.

Here are a few tidbits:

If the attacking player in an offside position is running towards the ball and touches it, only when contact with the ball has been made should the assistant raise his flag. If contact is not made, then play should continue.

However, if a player's position interferes with an opponent, preventing him from reaching or playing the ball, or results in impaired vision for a goalkeeper or defender, the referee need not wait until said player touches the ball before sanctioning the offence

The doubt has also been removed as to the question of whether or not a player is gaining an advantage from an offside position when a team-mate's shot rebounds off an opponent and falls to a player in an offside position. In such instances, play must be stopped.

Man, this is going to be tough for Refs to call properly in some situations, especially in our local leagues... Smart strikers are going to chase down balls from an offside position in hopes of freezing defenders (who are thinking the play is going to be blown dead)... the striker will then stop on the ball but not touch it and wait for a teammate to come rushing in to take control.

The hard part for refs now I think is trying to keep track of the players that do rush in - was the player in an onside position when the ball was kicked? I mean, there could be quite the delay before anyone touches the ball...

This is going to effectively kill the use of the offside trap I think - will it mean more widespread use of formations utilizing a sweeper system?

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
what if a player initially in an offside position when the ball is played through ends up with the ball, say 10 seconds after the ball has been legaly played by a teammate?? is he still offside? does he tag up like hockey? how can he make himself available to recieve the ball again without commiting a foul?
i'm glad i don't play on the back line!!

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honestly, and nice dig at the FVSL Div 2 TR :rolleyes: , I think this rule would result in more widespread use of the sweeper system, and to remove any doubt about what or who is offside any defender will automatically move to any through ball, regardless of whether any opposing player may or may not be in an offside position, leaving it up to the officials to decide. As a defender myself, I know that's how I'd play it if this rule goes into effect for the winter season. Just play the ball, and not worry about offsides at all. Seems pretty simple to me.

~Shaven

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
The Div. 2 FVSL guys are NEVER going to understand this.

well then Shuttlesworth, why don't you enlighten us on my question. if as soon as the player plays the ball he's offside, then how does he get back onside.........wait for the keeper to touch the ball or a posession change?

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Div. 2 FVSL guys are NEVER going to understand this.

Actually, they'll be telling the ref that the player who is about to touch the ball was suspended and is ineligible to play in the first place. Then they'll threaten to protest the game if that guy touches the ball... :eek:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
walls said:
what if a player initially in an offside position when the ball is played through ends up with the ball, say 10 seconds after the ball has been legaly played by a teammate?? is he still offside? does he tag up like hockey? how can he make himself available to recieve the ball again without commiting a foul?
i'm glad i don't play on the back line!!
It's a judgement call. It's like anything offside walls, if you're not paying attention there is always a chance you'll end up will a team mates balls in the face.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
can't hardly wait for some new material out of the knvb camp. don't make me sick young dave on you.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Getting back on topic...

"However, if a player's position interferes with an opponent, preventing him from reaching or playing the ball...the referee need not wait until said player touches the ball before sanctioning the offence."

I'm assuming he simply cannot continue to run towards the ball if it means he'll obstruct the defender running to the ball. I'm assuming it means that the forward also can't put pressure on the defender causing him to turn the ball over.

To me, this rule is like the tag up in hockey. It's meant to keep the game going in terms of blowing fewer whistles. It will also reduce the number of complaints from people who are angry that an offside whistle wasn't blown even though the player in question was not involved in the play. Simply, if you were in the offside position, get away from the ball.

I also like the deflection rule being clarified.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not stick to the easy rule, if the player is behind the defense when the ball is played it's offside. No interpretation, no worrying about who's playing the ball, was he going for the ball, did he interfere, is he now onside.
The refs get enough hassle just calling it that way let alone having to decide all the other factors on the spot.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's just it... a striker can be offside when the ball is kicked now AND run towards the ball. As long as he doesn't touch the ball nor 'shields' it from any defender, the whistle won't blow.

So say this happens and people kinda stand around for the first bit... another attacking player runs in and takes the ball. The ref/assistant now needs to remember if that player was in an onside position when the ball was kicked. It definitely adds more pressure on the officials to be aware of ALL players on the field.

Next stop? 2 ref system ala hockey :D

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, I don't think the offside player can run towards the ball because he would be interfering with the defender (preventing him from reaching or playing the ball). It would also "impair the vision" of the defender.

I don't think it will lead to any CFL-like play where no one wants to pick up the ball and then the punter comes out of nowhere for the recovery.

Like I said...if you were off-side: get away from the ball and let play continue.

Too bad. I know how much you were hoping to add that play to the Dragons' playbook!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, I don't think the offside player can run towards the ball because he would be interfering with the defender (preventing him from reaching or playing the ball). It would also "impair the vision" of the defender.
If a striker runs from the corner flag towards the ball played through, he's not impeding any defender - physically or visually.

That's an extreme example but it would be pretty hard to argue a striker was visually interfering in numerous cases.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
walls said:
can't hardly wait for some new material out of the knvb camp.

You might be waiting a while. Word on the street is KNVB's brain has gone missing on Grouse Mountain. It was last seen front row at the Dufferin with Knowone for Drag Queen night. There is also the possibility it is trying to beat the offside trap at training and is presently hanging around the corner flag trying to look inconspicuous. And smart. It could be hanging out with $5 a day hookers in Cuba as the prostitutes in Amsterdam are shite nowadays, or so a friend told me. Better off going to Berlin. So my friend says. Anyway, if his brain turns up dead in a hole somewhere I take it all back.

This offside rule sounds awfully confusing to me. Defenders play in the back because they're dumb. My friend says so anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts